Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,797Posts
    • 39,157Thanks
    jwil
    New plan...time to see some movement!
    • 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    New plan...time to see some movement! 23rd Aug 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello!

I've decided it's time for a new diary. I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and have come up with a new plan.

My debt is all at 0% on my DMP and is just clearing, albeit very slowly at £1 a month. This will increase when little miss gets her free hours at nursery next year.

Our mortgage is £118,511 and the only interest bearing debt, on a tracker rate so vulnerable to interest rate rises. I'm very happy with the rate though, and we can make unlimited overpayments, so for the time being, not looking to fix.

I still need to pay back £2400 for my car.

We need to start doing some of the work to the house that we've been putting off for years. So we need to get saving for that before it gets to a stage where we have no choice but to do the work as an emergency.

My new plan therefore is that I am going to let the DMP run itself, focus on paying back the car, the mortgage and saving for the house work. I will be trying to build the emergency fund/F&F fund, so that if my creditors offer a settlement I will hopefully be able to take advantage.

I hope that by changing my focus I will keep my motivation rather than getting fed up about not seeing any progress towards my debts. The mortgage will go down regardless of whether I manage to make overpayments, and hopefully the savings will increase!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 51
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 6th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I've been trying to teach little jwil to ride his bike without stabilisers today. failed miserably He just won't try as soon as he feels unstable. I have no idea how to get around it. Does anyone have any suggestions? He's quite sensitive and if he thinks something is scary he just won't give it a go.
    Originally posted by jwil
    We are in the same boat. DC2 loves riding her bike with stabilisers, but is so worried she refuses to try without them . We spent a morning at the park with her riding up and down with me holding on to the back of her seat to try and get her balance, which helped a teeny tiny bit (although it didn't help my back, which was killing after!). DH has suggested taking the pedals off for a bit and using it as a balance bike. Not sure if that's something you could try?
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 7th May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 6,057 Posts
    • 24,345 Thanks
    abba1772
    Take the pedals off

We are in exactly the same position so we took the pedals off and now he's confident in gliding the bike and finding his balance hopefully the pedals will go on soon but the difference in his confidence is amazing xx
    NEXT TARGET ARGOS WAS July 19 £92.98 NOW £20.94
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 £6701.93
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    Wow youve had a busy few days. Well done on all your news and good progress.
    Hope you get to have a good chat about the new job. It sounds like its someone you know so you can approach them for more info. They asked you to apply remember so theres no harm in suggesting how you would like it to pann out in the future.

With regards to bike riding our eldest wouldnt do it for ages with us when he was learning. We took him to a local cycling group doing beginner classes. He was riding in under 10 minutes. Dh was proud but livid he did it so wuick with them. Ha ha. If its a nerves thing he might feel he has to just get on with it or not be allowed to feel nervous with a different person/teacher type figure were as with you he will possibly be more emotional as he knows you understand his fears.
    Originally posted by NeverendingDMP
    That might be an idea, I just worry he'd refuse to try and waste the money. I might have to try it though.

We are in the same boat. DC2 loves riding her bike with stabilisers, but is so worried she refuses to try without them . We spent a morning at the park with her riding up and down with me holding on to the back of her seat to try and get her balance, which helped a teeny tiny bit (although it didn't help my back, which was killing after!). DH has suggested taking the pedals off for a bit and using it as a balance bike. Not sure if that's something you could try?
    Originally posted by AdventureWanted
    Take the pedals off

We are in exactly the same position so we took the pedals off and now he's confident in gliding the bike and finding his balance hopefully the pedals will go on soon but the difference in his confidence is amazing xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    That's what we are thinking we might try. DH took him up and down the road yesterday holding on to the back and he was ok, so maybe he'll give it another go.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th May 19, 7:09 AM
    • 5,885 Posts
    • 36,500 Thanks
    in need of direction
    My two mastered their bikes when stabilisers were removed, they got used to the back being held and then it wasn’t. Once they realised they’d managed without support, they were keen to try again.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £67373.01 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £716.16 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £5,500/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 5lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    My two mastered their bikes when stabilisers were removed, they got used to the back being held and then it wasn’t. Once they realised they’d managed without support, they were keen to try again.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Hopefully this will work with little jwil. He wouldn't even try and move on Monday, but did yesterday. Hopefully now he realises we won't let him fall he'll be more willing to try.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 8th May 19, 8:43 AM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    I had a good day on PA yesterday, cashed out, and have several surveys pending authorisation as well That's the first time in a while!

I have now received my confirmation that the debt is settled

I have decided not to go for the new job. I have given it serious thought, and I did discuss it with a couple of people who know more about what it entails. I won't like a lot of aspects of it, and it will be extremely stressful at times. I still have concerns about the fact that it is a job to develop this project and can't get it out of my head that the job won't be there when it is done. I think there's a lot to be said for enjoying your job and I will be involved in the project under my current role, just not leading on it.

Also, I am under TUPE protection on my current job which I would lose if I got the new one. I found out yesterday that the redundancy package under my TUPE protected role is much better than the one currently offered which is just statutory. I would be putting myself more at risk with less compensation if I took the new job. Given that I really enjoy what I'm doing, it's a no brainer for me now.
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 8th May 19, 1:33 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Been catching up as not been online for a few days again...seem so busy lately. Think it sounds like the right decision re your job and glad to hear your debt is settled ok.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £41,323 (28% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £100

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 8th May 19, 2:36 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 27,855 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Glad that the debt is settled

Always a good idea to not do anything if you are unsure xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £4650.00 Lloyds: £8700.00 BC: £300.00 Cap One: GONE
    July LTW 3/22 ~ July NSD 2/10
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD £3474.49/£5604.30
    Savings for Christmas £300.52/£500 ~ EF £55/£500
    20p Savers 2019 £2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th May 19, 4:15 PM
    • 10,016 Posts
    • 79,805 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I had a good day on PA yesterday, cashed out, and have several surveys pending authorisation as well That's the first time in a while!

I have now received my confirmation that the debt is settled

I have decided not to go for the new job. I have given it serious thought, and I did discuss it with a couple of people who know more about what it entails. I won't like a lot of aspects of it, and it will be extremely stressful at times. I still have concerns about the fact that it is a job to develop this project and can't get it out of my head that the job won't be there when it is done. I think there's a lot to be said for enjoying your job and I will be involved in the project under my current role, just not leading on it.

Also, I am under TUPE protection on my current job which I would lose if I got the new one. I found out yesterday that the redundancy package under my TUPE protected role is much better than the one currently offered which is just statutory. I would be putting myself more at risk with less compensation if I took the new job. Given that I really enjoy what I'm doing, it's a no brainer for me now.
    That sounds like the right decision with regard to the job Jwil.

Great news about the debt being settled, one less to worry about .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £129.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £50
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th May 19, 4:34 PM
    • 4,446 Posts
    • 27,484 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Good decision. Still nice to consider these things and know we have options
    Car costs savings: 165
    Xmas savings 100
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th May 19, 10:21 AM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    Been catching up as not been online for a few days again...seem so busy lately. Think it sounds like the right decision re your job and glad to hear your debt is settled ok.
    Originally posted by Lifeisforliving19
    Glad that the debt is settled

Always a good idea to not do anything if you are unsure xx
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    That sounds like the right decision with regard to the job Jwil.

Great news about the debt being settled, one less to worry about .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you all Down to 4 debts now
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th May 19, 10:22 AM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    Good decision. Still nice to consider these things and know we have options
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thank you Yes, I was very pleased to be asked about it, it's definitely a vote of confidence.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th May 19, 10:31 AM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    Hello everyone

I want to try and get a bit organised again and try and catch up with a few things now that work is not so crazy busy for a minute. I've banked more than the maximum hours, so need to reduce them down a bit otherwise I'll lose them at the end of the month. Typical the period ends just before half term otherwise I'd have reduced them by taking a couple of days flexi then!

I'm a bit frustrated with myself. Due to weigh in later and I'm not sure I'll have a loss. Spent too much time picking at the wrong stuff over the weekend as I wasn't organised and didn't have stuff prepped. I really wanted to get my stone award today as well

Today I must do a meal plan so I can be organised for next week.

Hoping for a quiet weekend this weekend. I'm not planning on booting, I don't think we've got enough to make it worth it. Hopefully DH will do the charity shop and tip run to get rid of some more. He says he wants to do a load more listing, so hopefully that will mean some more gone!

I'll have to dig out my post with the decluttering categories on it, so I can get back to doing that. I've got loads of stuff scattered around which I haven't sorted out yet.

I want to get to cash out on another survey site and then ditch that one too. I think then I will have streamlined enough to give me more time for the ones I am already using and cash out more frequently.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th May 19, 8:59 AM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    Hello everyone

Just popping in to say farewell. I've just tipped all the toys in the middle of the floor to get the kids to sort through them and decide what they want to keep or get rid of. The pile is terrifying. I might never get out alive. It's been nice knowing you all
    • BalanceBy50
    • By BalanceBy50 12th May 19, 9:16 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    BalanceBy50
    Hello everyone

Just popping in to say farewell. I've just tipped all the toys in the middle of the floor to get the kids to sort through them and decide what they want to keep or get rid of. The pile is terrifying. I might never get out alive. It's been nice knowing you all
    Massive good luck jwill I have done that before too. I am stealing myself to sort through the toys this afternoon - it's an awful job

Hope you survive - you will be missed
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 12th May 19, 10:45 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    Robin09
    good luck Jwil.
    SPC 076
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th May 19, 11:59 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 37,844 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Good luck!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th May 19, 12:23 PM
    • 10,016 Posts
    • 79,805 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hello everyone

Oo err good luck . You like to live dangerously . It's been nice knowing you too .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th May 19, 8:43 PM
    • 10,016 Posts
    • 79,805 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope the toy sorting went well Jwil .

I thought you might be interested in this article on recycling plastics

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/plastic-recycling-terracycle-oceans-waste-tom-szaky-friends-of-the-earth-a8907156.html
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th May 19, 6:50 PM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 39,157 Thanks
    jwil
    Thank you everyone I survived

They did really well. A nice big pile for ebay, a big pile for car boot, and everything fits into the boxes we've got. I was originally going to buy some more.

It looks so much better now. DH wasn't particularly impressed as they put some stuff to go that he's bought them recently. Maybe he'll learn to stop buying them stuff at car boots as they don't need it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

442Posts Today

6,640Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin