MSE News: Pension tracing service to shed light on long-lost savings – check online i

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pincher wrote: »
    Got a GOV.UK Verify account. Self-Assessment only, I expect, despite the claim:

don't understand why you 'd want to be so negative. Here's the front page....

DSC04259.jpg
    DSC04259.jpg.html?o=0
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What Pension Gateway?
    URL?
    Maybe I have to be the right age, otherwise I can't get into Diagon Alley.

Got a GOV.UK Verify account. Self-Assessment only, I expect, despite the claim:

"Verify your identity and get access to GOV.UK services as quickly as possible."

Well you do have a point, although obliquely put:
    When I had to do my first self-assessment I planned to do it online. Was fairly relaxed about the deadline. Finally early last December I popped online with my numbers ready, expecting it to take an hour or so.

And... stopped dead by the Verify Account step. Which involved waiting for a piece of paper through the letterbox from HMRC, just to begin to get started. Mid January came, no bit of paper. Phoned HMRC (so much for online-government) and made a point that my deadline now needed extending, which they did. And managed to cajole the verification code out of them on the phone since I (and probably they too) didn't trust the postal method working in a timely way.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    buglawton wrote: »
    Well you do have a point, although obliquely put:
    When I had to do my first self-assessment I planned to do it online. Was fairly relaxed about the deadline. Finally early last December I popped online with my numbers ready, expecting it to take an hour or so.

And... stopped dead by the Verify Account step. Which involved waiting for a piece of paper through the letterbox from HMRC, just to begin to get started. Mid January came, no bit of paper. Phoned HMRC (so much for online-government) and made a point that my deadline now needed extending, which they did. And managed to cajole the verification code out of them on the phone since I (and probably they too) didn't trust the postal method working in a timely way.

Poor service, but did you really have to wait for over eight months from the end of the tax year to start filling it in?

I've nearly completed mine for the last tax year, just suffering from some tardiness by my employer on gaining a P11D and confirmation from my sipp provider of actual contributions, though I have the latter and only need their info to double check.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    HMRC is also happy to accept estimated returns on 6 April that you revise later. With no penalty for not getting a revision done by the end of January of the next year since you've already filed a return. Just tell them which numbers are estimated and why.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mgdavid wrote: »
    don't understand why you 'd want to be so negative.DSC04259.jpg.html?o=0

I just like to moan. It's good therapy to release the frustration of dealing with bureaucracy. No doubt regression therapy can reveal the root cause, probably they lost a triplicate form three times, and I blocked it out.

That's another moan. If I needed NHS mental health therapy, I'll bet I won't get it. Call it being negative if you like.

Actually, I just remembered. I went through four passport application forms last time, just because my signature touched the edge of the box. Groan.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gadgetmind wrote: »

Thanks. I have been trying to get an online Pension Statement for the last few years. I think I got a paper forecast maybe seven years ago.

I find the £154.07 a week in BIG BOLD type exasperating.

My heart leapt with joy, as I was expecting around £80 a week. The joy soon plunged as I scrolled down to the next page, where it says based on my NI record, I will get £86.06 a week, but if I continue to contribute until 2030, I will get the £154.07.

Having not contributed for 16 years, I am hardly going to start now.

Just wanted to know what I will get under this New Pension set up. Not much difference from the old set up, as far as I'm concerned.
  • gadgetmind
    Actually, I just remembered. I went through four passport application forms last time, just because my signature touched the edge of the box. Groan.

Well, they do tell you the rules, and since when have government departments shown any flexibility when it comes to their all-important rules?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    Having not contributed for 16 years, I am hardly going to start now.

Why, out of interest? Most people do find some way of building up the years. My wife worked for about three years, had a twenty year break when offspring came along, but still has 30+ years already.

• Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Why, out of interest? Most people do find some way of building up the years. My wife worked for about three years, had a twenty year break when offspring came along, but still has 30+ years already.

I don't have "earned" income, but if I really wanted to, I could make voluntary NI contributions.

Bizarrely, around fifteen years ago, the Job Centre said I could register as unemployed, and sign on every two weeks, but receive no Supplementary Benefit (= Job Seeker's Allowance), nor Housing Benefit, etc., because I had too much rental income (landlord). The plus side is, I would get full NI credits for all the time I was registered as unemployed. So, I could have 36 years of NI contributions by now through a technicality. Couldn't be bothered to sign on every two weeks, though.

The rental income was getting close to the higher rate tax band. If I let it carry on, all the pensions ( state, final salary and personal ) could push me over into the higher rate tax band when they kick in.

I am currently transforming (sold a house) rental income into future capital gains and dividend. This will free up some basic rate tax allowance so that all the pesky pension money won't make me pay higher rate tax.

Believe it or not, I keep an eye on the state pension statement to make sure there is not too much of it.

Ok, I can give it to charity if I really had to.

I am looking for one where they reduce the world population, by not saving children whenever possible.
    Unsave the Children? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport