Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Counting_Pennies
    • By Counting_Pennies 27th Oct 06, 10:33 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 3,773Thanks
    Counting_Pennies
    mulled wine recipe?
    • 27th Oct 06, 10:33 PM
    mulled wine recipe? 27th Oct 06 at 10:33 PM
    How can I get the most delicious mulled wine without adding any other alcohol other than red wine?

I plan to put in a sachet of mulled spices that I already have

With peelings of Oranges and Lemon and a cinnamon stick broken in half.

Is there anything else I should add?

Thanks
Page 3
  • littlemissmoneypenny
    Mulled Wine Recipe Please!
    Looking for a foolproof mulled wine recipe please. I've never made it before so don't have a clue where to start. Any suggestions for what kind of wine to use also welcome!
    • littlesnuggy
    • By littlesnuggy 21st Dec 11, 5:30 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    littlesnuggy
    I used this one last week
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recipes/jamie-s-mulled-wine

I substituted cinnamon sticks with some ground cinnamon, vanilla pods with a few drops of vanilla esscence, didn't have any lemons or limes or bay leaves or star anise, but it was delicious!

I just used a cheap bottle of red from the cupboard. I'm making it over Christmas again so went to Sainsburys in hunt of the cheapest bottle of red to use; couldn't bring myself to buy the Basics one in a plastic bottle (3.20) so got three bottles of 6.99 cabernet sauvignon for 12 which should be fine - don't think the wine really matters that much as you add so much flavour to it.
    Last edited by littlesnuggy; 21-12-2011 at 5:35 PM.
  • sonastin
    This is the way I used to make it before I realised I didn't have the patience to wait for it to warm/mull!...

Stick an orange with cloves & put it in the pan. Add a couple of cinnamon sticks. Pour in a bottle of whatever red wine you've got handy (this is where I fall down - usually ends up in the glass not the pan these days!) and a good splash of brandy. Warm it gently and serve, leaving the cinnamon and orange in the pan! I think my friend used to put in a spoonful of brown sugar but I guess it depends on the wine you're using as to whether that is needed.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 28th Dec 11, 6:16 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    ive merged this with our mulled wine thread

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• kezlou
    • By kezlou 21st Dec 12, 7:59 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    daft question about mulled wine
    I know this is silly.

But is mulled wine alcoholic?
    I'm thinking of warming up either some mulled wine or some other christmassy drink.

Not sure what non-alcoholic drink yet, so if anyone has easy ideas i would be grateful. Its just for me, my partner and our two children.

We normally have juice or hot chocolate, so just thinking of something different this year.

thanks for your help everyone
    • lindadykes
    • By lindadykes 21st Dec 12, 8:04 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    lindadykes
    Mulled wine is alcoholic. You could try

http://www.marthastewart.com/274425/nonalcoholic-holiday-drinks/@center/276958/holiday-entertaining#258884

Some good ideas both hot and cold.
    Linda
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 21st Dec 12, 8:07 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    It isnt a daft question, as the answer could be yes or no!
    for example if you only gently warm the spices and wine - it probably wouldnt change the alcohol content much.
    If however you decided to bring it to a boil and simmer hard - it would probably 'burn' off most of the alcohol.
    if you bought non-alcoholic wine to make it with - then it wouldnt contain alcohol!
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 21st Dec 12, 8:13 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Thanks for link linda, the cranberry sparklers look lovely

Thanks for that meritaten, good job i asked, as i wouldn't have checked.
    I'll have a lok for some non-alcohol mulled wine when we go shopping.
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 21st Dec 12, 8:24 PM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 12,058 Thanks
    krlyr
    Some good non-alcoholic recipes posted on a dog forum I'm on
    http://www.unleashedforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1133&p=13629
    American recipe I think so when they say cider they really mean apple juice
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 21st Dec 12, 10:17 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 9,404 Thanks
    tori.k
    copella have a spiced winter warmer apple juice that you warm up, it must have been nice as the kids didn't leave me any.
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 22nd Dec 12, 12:02 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Just found another thread on here about non-alcoholic mulled wine alternatives.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2863562

Just in case anyone wanted to have a look.
    • bearcub
    • By bearcub 22nd Dec 12, 12:10 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 4,905 Thanks
    bearcub
    Holland and Barrett also have a nonalcoholic alternative to 'real' mulled wine, and it's on special offer atm. We bought some for our church Christmas lunch. It's very sweet, though, so we added some orange juice and pieces of fresh orange, warmed it up, and it went down very well with everyone!
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 23rd Dec 12, 2:05 PM
    • 4,173 Posts
    • 10,055 Thanks
    Seakay
    mulled wine is alcoholic - boiling it will ruin the taste but will NOT make it non-alcoholic.
    For teetotal mull follow a mulled wine recipe and use grape juice instead of wine (either white or red) and don't use any sugar. Have done this in the past and had to show drivers the grape juice boxes to reassure them that they weren't being led into bad ways!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 28th Dec 12, 7:56 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    merged with mulled wine thread. You can use non alcoholic wine and mull it yourself
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

972Posts Today

5,816Users online

Martin's Twitter