Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Counting_Pennies
    • By Counting_Pennies 27th Oct 06, 10:33 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 3,773Thanks
    Counting_Pennies
    mulled wine recipe?
    • 27th Oct 06, 10:33 PM
    mulled wine recipe? 27th Oct 06 at 10:33 PM
    How can I get the most delicious mulled wine without adding any other alcohol other than red wine?

I plan to put in a sachet of mulled spices that I already have

With peelings of Oranges and Lemon and a cinnamon stick broken in half.

Is there anything else I should add?

Thanks
Page 2
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 22nd Dec 09, 6:32 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Mulled wine recipe Click Here

I just heat red wine with star anise, cloves and cinnamon sticks with slices of orange. (add a little sugar if needed)
    Last edited by Rikki; 22-12-2009 at 6:34 PM.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • sazzy6
    How much ground cinnamon would you use to replace 3 sticks? Great link Rikki!
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 22nd Dec 09, 6:39 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    How much ground cinnamon would you use to replace 3 sticks? Great link Rikki!
    Originally posted by sazzy6
    Sticks infuse the flavour so I would add a pinch of cinnamon.

It's nice made and kept warm in the slow cooker.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • sazzy6
    Well I am sat drinking lovely mulled wine!

I went for:

1 cup of red wine
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1/8 cup of brandy
    a small grating of nutmeg
    a pinch of cinnamon
    a small pinch of mixed spice
    4 whole cloves

It is looooooovely!

However I have just been back into the kitchen to grab my lap top and noticed I had left the hob on with the remainder of my mulled wine effort so I think that lots might have to go down the sink but I will try it first!

Thanks for all your help!
  • Agapanthus
    Unless it's actually burnt then it should be fine. If it tastes good then it is good!
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 23rd Dec 09, 2:24 PM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,147 Thanks
    Prudent
    Mulled wine help please.
    I have invited several friends and neighbours around for food and mulled wine tomorrow. Food is ok, but I still had to buy the mulled wine. It is deep snow here and I am scared to venture out in the car. I have loads of red win and plenty of spices. Is there any way I can make mulled wine?
  • sazzy6
    For once I can answer this! I asked the same thing last night. My recipe went like this:

1 cup of red
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1/4 cup of brandy
    small pinch of cinnamon (ground)
    small pinch of mixed spice (ground)
    small grating of nutmeg (ground)
    2 cloves

Increase the quantities as necessary this was just for me last night! Yum!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Of course you can! Warm up the red wine in a saucepan, add some cinnamon, cloves (not too much), nutmeg, allspice and a few slices of citrus fruits and a teaspoon of sugar. You can add some vanilla if you have a bit of a pod kicking around. Heat to just under boiling-point and Hey presto! Mulled wine.

n.b. alcohol evaporates at a much lower temperature than water so it's perfectly OK to add a shot of rum or brandy into each glass when serving. That's the way they serve it in Germany so it would be even more authentic like that. Dass macht Gluewein mit Schuss. Prost, und eine frohlichten Weinacht! Something like that any way, my German's a bit rusty from lack of use
    Last edited by BitterAndTwisted; 23-12-2009 at 2:35 PM.
  • sazzy6
    Oh the method! Doh!

Stick it all in a pan and warm gently - do not allow to boil.
  • sazzy6
    Of course you can! Warm up the red wine in a saucepan, add some cinnamon, cloves (not too much), some allspice and a few slices for citrus fruits and a teaspoon of sugar. You can add some vanilla if you have a bit of a pod kicking around. Heat to just under boiling-point and Hey presto! Mulled wine.

n.b. alcohol evaporates at a much lower temperature than water so it's perfectly OK to add a shot of rum or brandy into each glass when serving. That's the way they serve it in Germany so it would be even more authentic like that. Prost!
    Originally posted by BitterAndTwisted
    Oh yes and sugar - LOL
    It is no wonder I try not to reply to questions very often!
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 23rd Dec 09, 3:22 PM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,147 Thanks
    Prudent
    Many thanks. I have all these ingredients, so should be fine. Just need to give the saucepan a really good scrub as I made vegetable soup in it earlier.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 23rd Dec 09, 3:28 PM
    • 10,959 Posts
    • 120,486 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Vegetable soup AND mulled wine? Shame you're not closer to Concrete Cow Country, or I'd be round to yours for supper!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
  • LegalBlonde
    maybe i have never had a nice recipe but i really don't like mulled wine. i heard michael mcintyre saying the other day that if it was nice we would have it all year round "tea, coffee, hot wine?" so it can't be that nice. my OH says that is how he feels about mince pies and xmas puddings!!
  • LegalBlonde
    bah humbug to me - that ^^^ was a bit scrooge mcduck wasn't it??? sorry if it sounded short!!!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Eh, we only drink it at Christmas but our friends sur le continent quaff it all winter long. Why do you think they're all so good-natured when the weather's so sh!te?
  • Reverbe
    Good luck with this. I love mulled wine. To me it is a seasonal item so shame it vanishes from shelves after Xmas. Am gonna try to make my own this year as I cannot afford to do my usual stocking up.. problem I always find is the price of red wine now. You used to be able to get a bottle for 2.80 if not less. Now it is hard to find any bottle under 4.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 23rd Dec 09, 4:21 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    this is my tried and tested recipe
    MULLED WINE

pint water
    4 oz. Sugar
    4 cloves
    2 inch stick cinnamon
    2 lemons
    1 bottle wine
    1 orange

Boil water, sugar and spices together. Add the lemons, stir and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Pour back into the saucepan and add red wine. Heat but do not boil. Strain the wine into a bowl and serve hot, decorated with orange and lemon slices. Makes about 1 pints

Sandy
    • ragz
    • By ragz 23rd Dec 09, 7:55 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    I made mulled wine this year to give as gifts to my DH's customers, then made another 4 bottles today for us. Used the same basic recipe as those mentioned above BUT I like to give my mulled wine an extra warming kick - chopped fresh chillies and/or dried chilli flakes. Really warms you up though you need a little more sugar in the recipe to compensate. I actually didn't realise you could buy mulled wine already done lol
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Nov 10, 7:48 AM
    • 6,682 Posts
    • 102,206 Thanks
    fuddle
    What kind of red wine would one suggest for making mulled wine. I made it last year was disgusting. I want to do it but want to do it well. Any help appreciated.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • morganlefay
    • By morganlefay 21st Nov 10, 8:58 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    morganlefay
    Please has anyone got a recipe for mulled cider ? I would prefer to do it with 'real' spices not a sachet, and what sort of cider do you use ? (I drink the really expensive stuff on the rare occasions when I do, but imagine I could use those big cheap bottles for mulling ?) But do you add any sort of spirit to beef it up a bit ? I have a bottle of Calvados OH was given but I'm not using that !!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

526Posts Today

5,649Users online

Martin's Twitter