Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    flyingpig58
    Christmas Crafting Ideas .... Its Good To Share.
    • 2nd Oct 10, 11:45 AM
    Christmas Crafting Ideas .... Its Good To Share. 2nd Oct 10 at 11:45 AM
    THIS IS A THREAD I STARTED QUITE SOME TIME AGO NOW .... THE IDEAS ARE STILL HERE FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS THEM .... ALTHOUGH I DON'T THINK I WILL BE ADDING TO IT THIS YEAR.

ANY PDF FILES I HAVE OFFERED IN THE PAST ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE AS I LOST THEM WHEN MY COMPUTER "DIED" AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR ..... SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR THEM AS I NO LONGER HAVE THEM. THE THREAD IS NOW TOO LONG FOR ME TO TRAWL THROUGH TO REMOVE ANY OFFERS, THOUGH I HAVE TRIED MY BEST.

I ALSO CANNOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ON RULES/THE LAW ABOUT SELLING ITEMS OF CONFECTIONERY AT XMAS FAYRES ETC. BUT IF IN DOUBT SELL ITEMS CONTAINING SWEETS (JELLY BEANS, SMARTIES, MARSHMALLOWS ETC) WITH A PRINTED COPY OF THE INGREDIENTS. ALWAYS USE GLOVES WHEN HANDLING UNWRAPPED SWEETS AND THE USE OF A PROPER BAG SEALER WILL HOLD FRESHNESS AND PREVENT CONTAMINATION.
    THE SELLING OF FOOD ITEMS AT FAYRES ETC. IS ALWAYS A CONTENTIOUS ISSUE.

Not everyone has the time to trawl through Google and other search engines looking for inspiration for simple Christmas ideas, cards and gifts to make - so I thought I would start a thread featuring some of the ideas that I have found and have taken inspiration from over the years ...... I cannot really claim any of the ideas are my own, just my take on them. I hope its OK that I keep to mainly pictures ....... it's good to share!

This is my Flip Over Advent Calendar that I will use on my Festive work desk this year.

Made using a Zutter Bind It All
    Last edited by flyingpig58; 15-09-2012 at 2:52 PM.
Page 4
  • flyingpig58

The Advent House started out like this - Tesco have been selling them for a couple of years now at Christmas for 5 which is a bargain .... and a lot of crafters have bought them to "do" up - like I have done.

I am not sure if Tesco are doing them again this year .... I have written to them but have had no answer. All I can say is keep looking out for them and if anyone spys them post it here.

There are other similar houses for sale in various craft shops online - but they are a lot lot more expensive ...... so please, please Tesco do yours again this year!

I've covered mine with a good scrapbook paper ..... it took quite a while, as each drawer had to be covered and then I had to varnish each drawer several times after covering to seal it all.

The snowmen were from Hobbycraft - pk of 5 for 1.99 - the snowflakes were a one off find from a gift shop ..... and I made the knobs using square beads from a Poundland necklace which I spray painted and then glued a square gem on the top.

It was a labour of love and hope its the one thing my children fight over when I die!!!!!
  • flyingpig58

Hi Tiara ....... this is the sort of card I make using Accessorize stickers (these stickers were from a couple of years ago) - the designs change each year - but the sizes are roughly the same.

To make the scalloped square background I use a punch like this - it measures 1in diagonally and costs about 3.99 by X Cut

• flyingpig58

This is another card made using Accessorize stickers
  • Tiara
    Thank you so much. That advent is a real labour of love, it must have taken you hours and hours to do each drawer individually. It looks absolutely fantastic I will keep my eyes peeled and fingers crossed that Tesco do something similar this year, I would love to have a go at that.

That card is really lovely as well- so simple but very effective. The 3d effect the stickers have is really lovely and adds such a nice touch. I think I'll have to treat myself to a couple of packs
    • Flower08
    • By Flower08 5th Oct 10, 8:40 PM
    • 4,749 Posts
    • 38,835 Thanks
    Flower08
    Thank you so much for starting this thread!! Some brilliant ideas, hope you dont mind me borrowing some of them for this years Christmas presents
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss: 13 / 20 lb
  • flyingpig58
    Hi Flower8 - my ideas are for anyone to use xxxxx I quite like being Santa's Little helper!!!!
    • Hollie84
    • By Hollie84 5th Oct 10, 9:41 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Hollie84
    Hi Hollie ...... as soon as I find some more blue Bons Bons I'll let you know and send you some.

Hi Pootleflump ...... my Advent House is finished ...... but I've been stringing it along a bit ...... just for you .......... hope I am not going to spoil it for you .....

Originally posted by flyingpig58
    that is fantastic you are so talented
    thats great about the bon bons and if i see any in the mean time i shall let u know and also grab a few packets
  • flyingpig58

Snowman Soup.

There are several threads on this forum about snowman soup, its a very popular idea and people just love getting it as a little stocking filller.

One lady at work had several from me saying she was giving them to her children on Christmas Eve.

If I were making them for a Christmas Fayre I would charge 1.

Chocolate Drink sachets are usually available in boxes in the bargain shops like B M Bargains, Home Bargains etc for less than a 1 for a box of 6 - and I always look out for Cadburys Drinking choc sachets when they are on bogoff - so they work out at about 25p each.

The price of mini marshmallows is usually between 69p -99p - and one bag does at least 10 little bags - I put them in a "pretzel" or lolly bag

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-x-2-x-9-CLEAR-Pretzel-Cello-Bags-/260670192166?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash= item3cb1277a26

I get mine from this lady - 50 bags costs about 4 - but they are useful for other things too.

Finally the stirrers (candy canes) will be in the shops soon - I get mine from Poundworld/Poundland or Wilkinsons - usually about 1.00 - 1.25 depending on where you get them from.

And finished off with a bit of confetti .... stars etc. (not suitable for children under 5)

When buying sweets and other food items always check the sell by date.

I made the background myself using Publisher.

It fits a 145mm x 145mm cello bag (I buy mine from e-bay)
    Last edited by flyingpig58; 26-11-2011 at 8:09 AM.
  • PootleFlump
    Hi Hollie ...... as soon as I find some more blue Bons Bons I'll let you know and send you some.

Hi Pootleflump ...... my Advent House is finished ...... but I've been stringing it along a bit ...... just for you .......... hope I am not going to spoil it for you .....

Wow! Thats absolutely brilliant!!!
    • funnyfreckle
    • By funnyfreckle 6th Oct 10, 7:04 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    funnyfreckle
    I love all your ideas flyingpig58 and your blog is the first thing I look at every morning when I switch on my laptop . I love your felt snowman and it doesn't look too complicated so I might be able to try that one!

I love your Dairy Miniature box - everybody have a look at flyingpig's blog for it. It is gorgeous - although not specifially Christmassy it would make a great little gift (if mine turned out half as good!).
    http://itsallfiddlefart.blogspot.com/
    It's under 5 October but I'm sure you will all want to look at everything on the blog!

However to my continual frustration I don't have a Home Bargains anywhere near me. Does anybody know where I can get these Dairy Milk Miniature Boxes for a good price?

Thankyou for all your great and inspirational ideas flyingpig58
  • jemtom
    i love the dairy minature box will be trying that and the reindeer covered chocolate bars. flying pig your ideas are great and its good of you to share them thank you very much.
    • Hollie84
    • By Hollie84 6th Oct 10, 7:47 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Hollie84
    Hi everyone
    funnily enough i found these miniatures yesterday in my HB never ever seen them before now u think they would be in most shops as i remember argos doing that dairy milk machine that u put money in and u get a miniature drop out
    i get my candy canes from morrisons there "79p"
  • mrsow

This was a very popular idea last year among bloggers.

My Coaster/beer mat calendar is pretty plain and unfussy, but if you Google "Coaster Calendars" you will be amazed by the ideas you will find and some tutorials.

Its just made with a beer mat , covered and embellished to your taste.

I've added a strip of magnetic tape to the back of mine to stick it on the fridge.

Anitas's (a craft brand) sell packs of calendar tabs for 99p -
    Hiya I love everything you make and enjoy waking up every morning to check your blog (maybe I need to get a life)

Anyhow a quick question, Im pretty new to crafting and to be honest not very good but I would love to try the coaster calendars, where would I get the beermats/coasters from.

Thanks in advance, Im off to write a list of things to make xx
    Back on the moneysaving wagon
    • sethsgran
    • By sethsgran 6th Oct 10, 9:16 AM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 4,744 Thanks
    sethsgran
    Last year I bought clear baubles from B&Q but failed to get them used so this year I hope I find the time. http://tiffanyrobertandfamily.blogspot.com/2009/09/super-saturday-2009.html this is where I found the idea, scroll down for the 2 baubles. I will do some of the baby with Mary and Joseph and then some of each of my grandchildren, individual. I have also bought some ceramic stars, snowmen etc and will decorate them with porcelaine paints. I then will cut out some vinyl on my Cricut and put their names on the ceramic decorations. Similar to these http://www.thechiccountryhome.co.uk/Wooden%20Noel%20Decorations.htm and also like these
    I also like this idea so may have a go if I have time

Last edited by sethsgran; 06-10-2010 at 9:26 AM.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
    • dizzytina
    • By dizzytina 6th Oct 10, 12:08 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    dizzytina
    Last year I bought clear baubles from B&Q but failed to get them used so this year I hope I find the time. http://tiffanyrobertandfamily.blogspot.com/2009/09/super-saturday-2009.html this is where I found the idea, scroll down for the 2 baubles. I will do some of the baby with Mary and Joseph and then some of each of my grandchildren, individual. I have also bought some ceramic stars, snowmen etc and will decorate them with porcelaine paints. I then will cut out some vinyl on my Cricut and put their names on the ceramic decorations. Similar to these http://www.thechiccountryhome.co.uk/Wooden%20Noel%20Decorations.htm and also like these
    I also like this idea so may have a go if I have time

Originally posted by sethsgran
    SethsGran can i ask how you cut vinyl on your cricut? i have a cricut have only ever cut thin paper. i find it doesn't cut even thicker paper that well?

I'm loving this thread by the way! Helen i already follow your blog and love your makes. Wish my handwriting was as neat as yours!!

This is my first xmas make so far made out of felt and only took 10 minutes to make.

I am going to make some other decorations from felt as it is so easy to work with. I will be doing a quick tutorial on my blog when i get a minute http://www.scratchycatcrafter.blogspot.com/
    MBNA 100009782.77 SANT 3168.741838.58 BARCLAY 5661.875573.53 NEXT 0 ARGOS 16001488.17
  • cdsmiler
    Hi all,

This thread is fabulous - flyingpig, you're very clever and very generous to just share your ideas!

I was wondering if anyone could help me - I'd like to make a homemade advent calendar for my daughter. I'm under no illusions that it won't get finished until NEXT Christmas, but she's only 1 this year so would appreciate it more the following year anyway. I wanted to start making it with felt - the pockets especially - but I have NO idea on the cost of felt. What's a good price?? Can anyone advise?

(Oh and if anyone has any design ideas, that would be great too - I have a few ideas floating about already in my little head....)

Many thanks in advance!

Clare
    Addicted to Disneyland Paris!
    Planning Christmas 2014!
    DD born 17th December 09!
  • mary-op
    flyingpig -loving all these things you've done

mrssow -you could try the local pub for beer mats..........got mine from ours last year

sethsgran -brilliant decorations

clare - can't help with the advent calendar I'm afraid. I picked one up from our charity shop the other year that was all little pockets but for the love of me can't remember what was on them.............lol
    Think it may have been sprigs of holly in felt, snowmans face..........I know it was all fairly simply.

I'm struggling to know what to do with some mini-pegs I've got lurking about..........can't think of anything other than sticking them in the corner of an old place mat I'm going to cover and stick a shopping list on............maybe I could glue it on and pop some 'reminder' notes in it ?
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • Cotton wool katie
    oooohhhh flyingpig

i had the same idea and used a square bag for snowman soup i think i have posted it in another thread

oh here it is

does it look ok?
    I have 2 gorgeous kids
    • sethsgran
    • By sethsgran 6th Oct 10, 4:47 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 4,744 Thanks
    sethsgran
    I just got back from visiting my daughter in America. Whilst there it was my birthday so I bought myself the cricut create as I feel that is big enough for my uses. I used both the create and expression whilst there to cut vinyl. dizzytina are you adjusting the pressure etc of the cutting blade, play around with the dials until you get the right pressure. PM me if you still find it difficult and I will try to help you out, ofcourse after 3 weeks I am expert at cricut!! LOL
    Last edited by sethsgran; 06-10-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • flyingpig58
    Hi Mrsow

I got my beer mats from this online shop - who I can recommend - they cost 1.00 for 10. Not sure if they have a minimum order.

http://www.craftisland.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1 &keywords=beer+mats

Hi Claire - you can get packes of felt from Poundland - think there are about 10 pieces of A4 size in assorted colours - they have it in Hobbycrafts but A4 costs 69p for just one piece.

But if you need a large piece they do sell it by the metre for about 9 a metre.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,455Users online

Martin's Twitter