Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 28th Aug 08, 2:29 PM
    September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 28th Aug 08 at 2:29 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?

This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 18-09-2008 at 9:10 AM.
Page 49
    • nicki
    • By nicki 10th Sep 08, 7:02 AM
    • 7,285 Posts
    • 88,328 Thanks
    nicki
    Popped into Asda last night to grab some bits for packed lunches for me (sandwiches are provided but nearly everyone is taking crisps & a piece of fruit in with them ) and spent £11.81, but that included toiletries and without a list

GC - 49.85/60
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Sep 08, 7:06 AM
    • 16,785 Posts
    • 143,718 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning Chums ,still getting by on the stuff from cupboards/freezer ect. Made 3 litres of leek and potao soup and froze them and have celery on the SC at the moment Bit bland so I may put some garlic salt in to liven it up a bit.Also made some custard yesterday with Marvel milk.I have a big canister that I was given and I want to use it up. Can't say I was impressed by it, I prefer fresh milk, but am going to use it all up if I can .May make rice pud or semolina.Can't seem to get rid of tiny clumps of milk in tea and coffee,it looks just as though its onrdinary milk that's gone on the turn .Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.Tastes alright ,just looks odd.
    also used up some bagels from the freezer for breakfast with my free apple butter on them ,very scrummy. My eldest DD said her friend has a big jar going spare if I want some more so I may get it and put in my fridge as it keeps quite well.
    have a couple of pears that must be eaten up today so I may put some of the apple butter on them as its got a lovely spicy cinnamon flavour and cover with some sponge mixture and bung in the oven ,a sort of Pear Eves pudding.
    Had a slight spend yesterday had to buy a ball of white wool and some pan scrubers in Wilkos £1.12 plus 20p for my cuppa and biscuits at Craft class so only a small spend.
    Today will be a challenge as my DD is coming round at lunchtime and we are going to Hempstead Valley shopping mall as she wants to get her little boys haircut (he has a phobia about electric cutters at home so he has his done with scissors at the hairdressers.) then it will be a saunter around the big Sainsburys there as she likes to have a look around if we are down there.I will try to keep my purse on my bag if I can.fingers crossed
    keep up the good work folks
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • rockie4
    • By rockie4 10th Sep 08, 7:16 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    Panicking a bit as I'm already up to £97 and I'm off to Asda tonight
    Decided to do another shop then try to eke out, I'm out of WUL and nearly out of milk so if I get a decent shop in I might manage it :confused: Well, at least I will have tried!!
  • helenm2008

Made stew in slowcooker yesterday (it was in and doing its thing by 6.30am - baby on board doing weird stuff to my sleep patterns as I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a morning person ). We had some for dinner last night (yu-u-um!), froze a meal's worth with plenty of the gravy and still had enough gravy left over to freeze separately for with a roast in at some point in the future .

Going through milk at a scary rate at the moment - ice cold milk and potatoes seem to be my main pregnancy cravings at the moment... could be a lot worse!
    Luc x
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    Same here with the sleep patterns, when are you due? I reckon it's preparation for when the baby comes! (In november ) I'm craving ice cold *chocolate* milk - not quite so healthy
    Debt: June 2013 £2000

Weight-Loss By December 2013
    14lb/
  • mumzyof2
    Hello all i have not posted for a while and no longer in the challenge but im hoping to start again next month. As my son goes school tomorrow so i wont be spending loads on eating out for dinner when im in town etc does anyone have a cheapish brownie recipe? but i dont like dark choc so could it be made with milk choc?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi mumzy

I have done these browines and they are yum yum yum

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=12894525#post12894525
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • WelshWoofer
    Hello!
    Just popping in to update the sig and try to plan this weekend.
    I spent £30 ish on Friday evening at MrTs (not sure exactly how much cos it had razor blades and toiletries for OH that he pays for himself too and I've lost the receipt!).
    We have enough to keep us going for a couple of days but my mum ans sister are coming to stay for the weekend so I'll have to pop off to Mr Ts again tomorrow evening to stock up on treats and I may as well do a bit of a shop then too to use the £5 NOTW voucher up.
    I will try to meal plan a bit though for next week and get stuff that will keep.

It's jacket spuds tonight - with a portion of chilli from the freezer for him and beans and cheese for me.
    Not sure about tomorrow thoughn - it'll have to be something quick as I'll be frantically shopping and cleaning ready for the family arrival on Friday afternoon (I'm working on Friday too! Booo!).

have a good day
    R
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 10th Sep 08, 10:53 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Anyone else having troubles with the threads this morning? First it said closed for essential work, & now I can't see the little smilies or change font!For people looking for luch box ideas, there's an absolute shed-load of links if you go to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=835454I hope it works *looks worried* but have a look-see thru the O/S board for them if it doesn't.Made a cottage pie with all the usual 'secret' ingredients & there's plenty to make at least a family sized pie & probably a couple of pasties for lunch boxes.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ravylesley
    well I thought I'd get my update done early today as I dont plan on spending any more today.Butcher delivered my pig this morning 65lbs of Pork for £84 it works out at £1.30 per lb which I dont think is too bad and there being six of us we'll soon get through it as we got through the last one sharpish.Lamb arriving tomorrow so I'll update my sig for that when it does

Lesleyxx
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 10th Sep 08, 11:19 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Anyone else having troubles with the threads this morning? First it said closed for essential work, & now I can't see the little smilies or change font!For people looking for luch box ideas, there's an absolute shed-load of links if you go to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=835454I hope it works *looks worried* but have a look-see thru the O/S board for them if it doesn't.Made a cottage pie with all the usual 'secret' ingredients & there's plenty to make at least a family sized pie & probably a couple of pasties for lunch boxes.
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    Hi BigMummaF,

The link you posted is taking me to a thread on the techie board. I think this may be what you wanted to link to (taken from The Complete Cooking Collection)

Lunch:
    - Back to School Packed Lunch OS Ideas?
    - Best sandwich?
    - Cheap and practical lo-carb
    - Cheap packed lunch ideas
    - Packed lunch - keeping cool
    - Desk top sweet snacks
    - Food on the go
    - Ideas please for cheap and healthy weekend lunches
    - For work
    - Healthy eating (packed lunch ideas?)
    - Lunch for work(salads)
    - Packed lunch
    - Packed lunch ideas on the cheap
    - Packed lunch - Advice On Daughter Please!
    - Ploughman's
    - Problem with pack-up

Pink
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 10th Sep 08, 11:28 AM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 49,600 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Have spent €140.97 of my €300 budget, we have also had several meals out as kitchen is being redone and have no oven and kitchen seems to have a haze of dust all over so only having takeaways or restaurant meals....half of that cost is coming out of kitchen budget and OH is paying the rest as he seems to be keeping his spending low at present so has extra money in his pocket money account.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 10th Sep 08, 11:47 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    ailz95
    Went to Mr S this morning and spent £34.83. Mostly Basics items. They had OH's toothbrush refills on half price (Colgate) so I bought 2 and 2 deodorants - Sanex - also at half price (88p) for the aeresols. Roll ons are 8 but they didn't have the sensitive, and it's the only deodorant that doesn't have me walking around scratching my 'pits like a monkey . Not too bad a spend I suppose. No more shopping until next Wednesday anyway.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 10th Sep 08, 12:10 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Hi all. Got the rest of my shopping at MrT yesterday (after forgetting my list on Monday). Spent a little more than planned as I got a few whoopsies. One of the whoopsies was some cheese rolls, which I have just had for lunch and they were gorgeous. I'd like to have a go at making something like them myself. They seemed to have onion in them too - would it work if I used a basic bread roll recipe, but added some chopped and fried onion into the dough, and then sprinkled cheese on before baking them? :confused:

I think there will be some experimenting going on this weekend...

Also have some cooking apples to use up, so think I'll make an apple crumble (maybe blackberry and apple - if the rain keeps off tomorrow, I'll go out and pick some more). Is it OK to add the crumble and then freeze? Or is it better to just freeze the filling and add the crumble topping when you're ready to eat it?

Sorry for all the questions today
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • echelon101
    • By echelon101 10th Sep 08, 12:16 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    echelon101
    Back from France

Went to Co-op + Sainsburies with some dosh

Best buy was probably a 10p brown Walburton loaf
    Surprise 1kg of F.Veg from Sainsburies is only 91p
    A grapefruit is bigger yet cheaper than an orange.

Total Shop for the week came to a lovely - £7.60
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 10th Sep 08, 12:31 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    hi there,
    Just wanted to pop on and say hello to everyone and give you all a big pat on the back for trying hard (and a gentle kick to the slackers ). Yesterday I went to Lidl/Tesco to get a few more bits with the rest of this weeks money- no offers to report really, other than that our Tesco had lots of dried fruit/nuts reduced (decent length of time) so got DS some raisins and some hazelnuts for us (for cookies ). No more spends needed this week as we are well stocked up, will pop on on Friday night though to declare the end of this week (and the month so far). DH also came in with another free box of eggs- lovely, good job we are having quiche tonight- need to find some more egg ideas (will have a good nosey around the OS threads).
    I am struggling energy wise :confused: so not had time to read all your posts but hugs to all who need them.
    Take care
    x OS
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 10-09-2008 at 12:38 PM.
  • Money saving Diva
    Hi all!

My OH popped down to Lidls last night to pick up a few items we needed.. came back having spent £14!! I could have cried. It isn't that he bought anything silly, just that it is another big chunk out of our budget. I got a bit down actually, I feel like I am failing my own challenge and I made our budget ridiculously generous I thought,(though it was a lot less than we had been spending)

Oh well - I come here and I read how well everyone is doing and it perks me up no end! This is only my first month and if I don't make it, I will just try again next month, but I haven't given up yet!!

Made Lemon curd icecream last night and peanut butter cookies - they were fab!! (made the lemon curd from scratch with cheap value lemons and cream knocked down cos of sell by date)

Hugs to all who need them

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • scotsaver
    Also have some cooking apples to use up, so think I'll make an apple crumble (maybe blackberry and apple - if the rain keeps off tomorrow, I'll go out and pick some more). Is it OK to add the crumble and then freeze? Or is it better to just freeze the filling and add the crumble topping when you're ready to eat it?

Sorry for all the questions today
    Originally posted by *BigBird*
    Hi *BigBird* - I think you should be ok to freeze the crumble with the topping - I too am swamped with Apples, 5 fallen off today alone and they are "whoppers" - we are also having crumble tonight and the rest of the apples I have peeled, cored and sliced and stashed into the Freezer.

Today I have also picked a load of Raspberries, this year has been a bumper crop, have boiled them down with a bit of sugar and water to make a Sauce for the girls to have on their yoghurt, they have started having this for breakfast in the morning before their toast/cereal.

Dinner tonight is going to be a bit of a trial for me - using a couple of the Indian dishes that were on the "feed your family for £5" competition, making the Yellow Split Pea Dahl, Spicy Potatoes and putting it with some HM Curry we had in the Freezer. Never made the Dahl or Spicy Potatoes before so hope it goes well.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• ysatiss
    It's all gone wrong!
    I've spent £86.22 out of my £80 monthly budget... And it's only the 10th!

So I'm trying to cheer myself up:
    - I realistically don't need to go shopping until the 25th as I'll be away for 3 days and I have loads in.
    - I bought loads at the start of the month that will carry over into October.
    - My freezer is overflowing as I have been cooking in bulk (also part of the reason why I don't need to go shopping until the 25th-ish).
    - It's still a lot less than I was spending a few months ago.
    - OH is over the moon as I'm being more creative and cooking from scratch.

Still... I'm over budget... I don't like it! It means I need to cut back elsewhere.
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 10th Sep 08, 1:37 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    I *think* I am doing okay at the moment. Am currently (desperately) trying to lose weight and am finding that I am spending heaps on fruit & veg as I am trying to get my 5 portions a day.

Does anyone have any tips to get my 5 a day without breaking the bank? I buy from supermarket (Tesco/Asda) and sometimes from Farm Shop/Market (although this weeks fruit & veg from the market has been disgusting and moudly etc so was not impressed).

We really need to tighten our belts (still and again). I think this is my 7th or so challenge and I still havent managed to cut the shopping bills down and I really could cry and to top it all off the veg I have been growing in the garden has either been eaten by various pests not grown/established or have tasted gross - waahhhh
  • MrsHayes
    Hi everyone sorry I haven't been around computer is playing up again and I am just so tired at the moment I can't seem to concentrate on anything. Went to Lidl and Asda on Monday night. Spent £37 in Lidl so under budget by £3 then went to Asda for some toiletries. Was charged twice for some toothpaste when we only bought one but because I was tired and wanted to go home I didn't check my receipt until I got home so couldn't do anything about it which was very annoying. I am definitely not impressed with Asda at the moment corned beef has gone up from around 80-90p to £1.17 and that is for the smartprice stuff! Everything seems to be shooting up there so I am trying to do 95% of my shopping in Lidl/homebargains etc. Hope everyone is doing ok. I am now £4 over for the month so will try and make some back next week xxx
    DS 1 born 12/02/2009
    DS 2 born 30/01/2012
    Married 07/07/07 <3
    xx Love my boys xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,670Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin