Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 96
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 20th Aug 08, 11:26 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi all, sorry not been on for a couple of days, but have been working outside away from computer.

Have had 6 NSD's up to now - should have gone shopping Saturday but have managed to put it off until today as we were pretty much out of all fridge stuff. Used my MrT vouchers - £6.50 plus a £5 off voucher for spending £35 they sent me - sent 3 in all for use over the next 3 weeks chuffed with that. So got most of shopping out of there today as with £11.50 off, it was worth it, but still only spent £29 when finished, so had to go get 2 x packs loo rolls, which was a pain as they were £4.46 for 12 (9 + 3 free) when I usually get the Aldi ones that are really nice, but at least stocked up now and sort of got them free anyway, so OK. so finally got:
    48 Tesco own weetabix (£2.15 against proper weetabix £3.29 ), giant 300g tub Dairlylea (ON SPECIAL AT THE MOMENT - ONLY £1 AND KIDS LOVE IT!) 15 eggs, ham slices, bananas, peppers (6 in bag £1.38) 3 red onions, 3 white onions, lettuce, tomatoes, cherry toms, peas, marg, mature cheese, 2 bottles squash, sugar, 12 pints milk and large box (3kg) and Daisy soap powder (this was £2.99, Ariel was £9.98 for same size - thought I would try it as I add washing soda anyway - anyone else tried it?)

Total £29 plus 24 loo rolls came to £37.92 - vouchers off total £26.42 . Also, had to buy some Co-codamol for pain (£1.28) and have to admit to a McD breakfast for DS and me today, as he came with me to help with lifting (still can't do too much with chest hurting) so treated him as he has been helping me out (if that's all he wants for a change, it's worth the £5.18 it cost) Total spend £32.88, and that will be it for this week, so only next week to go and may even come in under budget...

On another note, really pleased with lovely hubby, I didn't get home until 9pm last night and 7.30pm the night before, so he got stuff out of the freezer and cooked up meals for us all - no take aways for once. seems he's learning...bless him

Have also just picked up a lovely pine table from Freecycle - am going to make a project of it and sand and paint it (one day ) but for now it needs a good clean then can use it in the Kitchen instead of small round one we currently have, so may be able to entice DS to eat with us for a change (school hols eh!) plus can actually ask Mum round for dinner where we're not sitting on the sofa to eat .
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 20th Aug 08, 11:40 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,
    Weather not great so stuck indoors missing the carnival but did see a red arrow go past our window doh, mr decided he didn't want to go to the beack doh
    Might manage a NSD, If he wont come out I can't go so will spend no money and manage on what we have. Every cloud has a silver lining eh
    Hugs to those who need them, including me
    HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 20th Aug 08, 11:47 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Hi guys! The 29p breadmix sounds great, don't suppose there's a cheap wholemeal one as well?
    Originally posted by bails
    Hovis White bread mix 29p, Hovis granary bread mix 34p in MrT and MrA

kymbogs and princess leia:
    I really dont think it is an offer as the prices have been like that for ages so there's no need to panic buy :rolleyes:

People did that with bread flour a couple of months ago cos everyone said that it was going to go up from 48p but guess what - its still 48p :rolleyes:

Hope youre feeling better soon (((Denise))) I've got two huuuge boxes of cocodamol that I cant use cos pain killers dont work for me anymore (just make me stoned lol) - I can send them to you if it would help?

Nikki x
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 20th Aug 08, 12:08 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Hi everyone,
    Not been on for a while coz i've not been spending money . Just a quick update, got an unexpected £50 from my mum to say thanks for looking after kids during hols so thought i'd start on my xmas cupboard. Spent £38.46 in tesco and that should be it for the month too so i should be under budget
    Debt 1 £1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 £2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 £2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 £1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 20th Aug 08, 12:11 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hope youre feeling better soon (((Denise))) I've got two huuuge boxes of cocodamol that I cant use cos pain killers dont work for me anymore (just make me stoned lol) - I can send them to you if it would help?

Nikki x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Ahh, thanks for the offer Nikki - have prescription from the Hospital (local chemist couldn't accept prepayment cert as "not the right NHS" - something about it being a hospital script and they are a trust! ) but have been unable to get there to collect, so am popping up in about 1 hr - these were just to see me through as woke up feeling rough this morning (overdid it on the work front again... ).

Mind you, getting stoned sounds good about now, free 'drugs' on the NHS eh! . Seriously, do they give you something else for the pain then? I hope they have sorted something out for you as it must be hard if Co-codamol doesn't work - paracetamol and ibuprofen are wasted on me...
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 20th Aug 08, 12:24 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Mind you, getting stoned sounds good about now, free 'drugs' on the NHS eh! . Seriously, do they give you something else for the pain then? I hope they have sorted something out for you as it must be hard if Co-codamol doesn't work - paracetamol and ibuprofen are wasted on me...
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    yeah, I only take them for recreational purposes now lol ME makes me have a very low tolerance for drugs unfortunately. The last time I saw my doc a few months ago he said that there werent any more pain killers that I could try as I had tried them all so I've not bothered going back. I take disprin if I have a headache but I'm usually too out of it to know if its worked or not :confused: I guess thats an advantage of being so foggy in the head - I sometimes forget about all the pain I'm in.

(((Hugs to you))) hope you feel better soon

Nikki xx
    Last edited by angelnikki; 20-08-2008 at 1:00 PM. Reason: sp
    • wmf
    • By wmf 20th Aug 08, 12:28 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 21,671 Thanks
    wmf
    Hoping for a NSD today. Hoping also that my budget - or what's left of it - will last to the end of the month. It isn't quite as good and it look though as it doesn't count the 2 little hols back to Scotland and the food eaten then.
    Having Young's Basa fish fillets for tea. they were half price in Rainbow but I don't think I'll buy them again as I've just read the front and they have travelled from Vietnam - that's a lot of miles travelled . Here's me trying to look at locality of veg etc but didn't think of the fish, even though the name was strange. Ah well. Anyone tried them?
    Will make a menu plan up to the end of the month and hopefully will squeeze through. I've had DH at home all month and hadn't expected that, also youngest DSS every weekend so I'm pleased with the way the budget has gone so far.
    w
    • mouche
    • By mouche 20th Aug 08, 12:46 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    mouche
    Had to take £5 out of the grocery budget yesterday to pay the cleaning lady. Normally there is a special fund for that but it's finished this month and the grocery budget is the only one with anything left in it. Will also have to buy kitchen roll, loo roll, handwash etc tonight with GC money (normally it's from a separate budget but...finished). Hope I can still make it under budget - fussy guests this weekend so might be a vain hope but will try.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £131,290.03 (05/11/2018) MFW target for 2018: £2,406.04/ £3,000
    2017 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £29/£300 (November) NSDs: 2/15 (November)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 0/3st 9lb
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 20th Aug 08, 1:08 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Just popped on to update my sig. Second shop of the week for some bits and also a few bulk buys from the bulk/bargain £20 a month I allowed.
    In Tesco I got 3 x 'Five Alive' for £2 & 'Butter me up' BOGOF at 96p (Utterly Butter is also reduced to £1 but not on BOGOF). Also got the reduced frozen 'Helathy Living' chicken fillets, which work out cheaper per kg than even frozen value chicken. hth someone.
  • princess leia
    Thanks Nik, I am sure I saw the bread mix for over £1 in Mr T just as Mr A started doing it at 29p and then Mr T followed suit!! Gonna order some but not too many as I don't have much space at the mo!
    Another NSD for me, I am getting good at these now
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• eveie189
    • By eveie189 20th Aug 08, 2:22 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    eveie189
    Also one of our kitties has been missing now for 3 days, I fear the worst as she is very timid, small & quick & I can't see her going to anyone voluntarily. Methinks it is time to make some posters to put up in case anyone has seen her but I am not hopeful, not sure where I can contact & no, she isn't chipped [/quote]

sorry to but in but is it a female cat and if so have you had it done because it could be that she is up to no good with the local toms and you may get more than you bargained for when she comes back. When they get up to no good cats will often stay away for a few days and they usually come back (mine did both times!!!). Hope your kitty comes back soon

Katie
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
  • princess leia
    Quick question if I may? I am just doing my roast and I have made a whole packet of Asda value stuffing realising that this will be far too much for us :rolleyes: So does anyone know if I can freeze it in balls and whether you would cook in the oven first or just freeze before you cook it?

Thanks

• jackk
    I got some of the Hovis bread mixes at Asda yesterday, they were rolled back to 27p

Jackie x
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 20th Aug 08, 3:47 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Quick question if I may? I am just doing my roast and I have made a whole packet of Asda value stuffing realising that this will be far too much for us :rolleyes: So does anyone know if I can freeze it in balls and whether you would cook in the oven first or just freeze before you cook it?

Thanks
    Originally posted by princess leia
    I do this quite often - cook all the stuffing balls and then freeze them in a bag.

When you're doing the next roast, just defrost them and bung em in the oven for about 5 minutes to warm through and they stay crunchy - or if you want them more soggy heat them in the microwave

I often forget to do the stuffing until I'm about to carve the chicken so this saves that one too

DMP support thread (member #32)

• Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 20th Aug 08, 3:53 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi everyone.

Just updated my signature. Spent £3.01 on kitchen roll and a box of cereal. Having meat balls & pasta tonight. £6.63 left until end of next week.

I have 2 of the Kelloggs free swim tokens from the cereal if anyone would like them just pm me.
    Have a great evening.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • princess leia
    Thanks Newlywed, its something I forget to buy too, so having a stash in the freezer is very appealing

• yellowmonkey
    • By yellowmonkey 20th Aug 08, 4:00 PM
    • 6,931 Posts
    • 29,359 Thanks
    yellowmonkey
    Hi

Still plodding along nicely. Tell you one thing. Since I have been shopping around I have found Mr M's own brand bread is really good. 72p a loaf but beats paying £1.22 for top brands. It is really soft and , i think , the best of the supermarket own labels.

ym

• gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 20th Aug 08, 4:05 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    large box (3kg) and Daisy soap powder (this was £2.99, Ariel was £9.98 for same size - thought I would try it as I add washing soda anyway - anyone else tried it?)
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    Someone was talking about this earlier in the thread but i cant remember who They really liked it.

What are the hovis breadmixes like? I picked one up in Mr T and the ingredients looked a little scary so i put it back:rolleyes: I'm trying to cut out any junk from our diet as we really need to
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 20th Aug 08, 4:23 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower

Someone was talking about this earlier in the thread but i cant remember who They really liked it.

What are the hovis breadmixes like? I picked one up in Mr T and the ingredients looked a little scary so i put it back:rolleyes: I'm trying to cut out any junk from our diet as we really need to
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    Thanks G&B, well, I've got it now so hopefully it's as good as they say - massive saving...

Glad your LO enjoyed school (just been on Flylady...) - I love seeing them dressed up when they first go in - they look so grown up, it's lovely but sad at the same time - remember mine going to 'big' school - they were soooo cute in their uniforms and I took their photo, chests out, big grins, ooooh, lovely memories...
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 20th Aug 08, 4:35 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys, ended going out to get mr's hair cut, but spent money in mr m's instead as the barber had closed and gone to the carnival,(how very dare he )
    mr wanted to go to mr m's as we were out and have a cuppa like we usually do on a wednesday, so off we went and ended up spending £13.05 as we only have one budget, everything has to come out of it

Drinks in cafe

reduced quiche 26p
    2x special muffins @50p
    2x value baked beans@20p
    2x special bacon @50p
    own brand mushrooms @75p for 250grms so cheaper than specials
    special eggs @50p
    sugar @48p (for guests)
    2x value yogurts @29p
    Bananas @44p
    grapes @£1.49
    reduced cornbeef @59p
    sandwich spread @99 (no good reason for buying this except I wanted it )

Then mr insisted on buying lotto tickets but as he does this rarely, why not!

So that was our wednesday oopps but we did get lots of bargains

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,926Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter