Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 94
    • Chell
    • By Chell 19th Aug 08, 7:50 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Forgot to ask, I bought fresh peas as they were reduced to 30p per bag. My DS podded them all and I then put them in the colander and poured boiling water over them. Can I freeze them now or do I need to blanch them first?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 19th Aug 08, 7:55 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi everyone. Well 2 NSD's in a row. Will need to do a few more this week & next week to keep in budget. Had pork chops from the freezer last night and chicken Korma I made tonight. Haven't thought about tomorrow yet must meal plan for the rest of the week. Have a good evening.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • Jumps
    • By Jumps 19th Aug 08, 8:21 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Jumps
    Evening all. I hope everyone is well. I thought I would just pop in to update my sig. I haven't done too badly and we are away at the weekend. We are staying in a wigwam in Scotland so I hope the weather is kind.

angelnikki is there any chance you could post the recipe for your bread, it looks so yummy!

Has the September thread been started yet?
    Can I declare £172.24 for August. Not too bad but quite challenging.
    My new month starts on Friday (OH get paid 4 weekly) with a budget of £200.00.
    I would like to thank everyone on here for the inspiration and just keeping me going as this has been a tough month and next month is set to be similar!!
    Last edited by Jumps; 19-08-2008 at 8:25 PM.
    Debt Oct 2006 £42,215.21 at highest. Debt Today £0.00
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 19th Aug 08, 8:26 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Well....I'm already overspent!! Am now upto £305.50 of a £300 budget!!!!

In my defence..I have bought nappies (which we didn't technically need) when they were on offer etc, but am mad with myself!! Get paid next Wednesday, when my September challenge will begin.....so will try to keep spending to a minimum and get Tesco delivery on Tuesday/Wednesday next week!!

Have been away..so not had chance to keep up with or read the thread...but hope the challenge is going well for everyone else!!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 19th Aug 08, 8:32 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    angelnikki is there any chance you could post the recipe for your bread, it looks so yummy!
    Can I declare £172.24 for August. Not too bad but quite challenging.
    Originally posted by Jumps
    I used the Hovis white bread mix which is 29p at MrT But I have put a recipe on the Index for proper HM Bread

Well done for coming in on target (ish) & Good luck for the weekend, hope the weather's nice for you.

Has the September thread been started yet?
    Originally posted by Jumps
    September thread Its only the 19th August The new thread always starts around the 28th/29th of the month

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 19-08-2008 at 8:37 PM.
  • 4Moneysaver
    Bought a pint of milk today which niggled me as I have milk in the fridge but had to go to another office for work today and I don't have access to their tea club. Still I brought the surplus home with me so it won't be wasted. Must have a catch-up with the thread to see what I've missed. Hope everyone's had a good day and dodged the showers .
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
  • fertyskids
    Hi everyone,

Another NSD today, i need it as only £40ish to last 8 days!!!

Still feeding my family/students 6 adults, (3 of these are very very hungry teenagers). 3yr old 1 yr old. I include all food, household stuff and nappies for little one. i think i have enough meals in the freezer for 8 days just!!!
    But i already need F&V, milk and sandwich stuff for everyone..... will i do it?

£400.00 per month this month and i started this month with freezers and cuboards cramed full, i think i will go over. it works out as £13/14 each roughly.

Next month will definatley more as the freezers and cuboards will be empty. so i think another £100. So £500 or £16/17 each.

i know that this doesnt sound a lot but i always bulk cook so every meal is being stretched as much as i know how. lots and lots of whoopsies. i cook a lot of casseroles, curries and spag bols. but this means meat and lots and lots of veg everynight.

i need some menu ideas for cooking for lots of people inc toddler and baby. can anyone help. i cant afford £500 next month so i need to think carefully.

im sorry to go on, its just when i thought about it, i got a bit worried then i thought that someone on here would have some ideas.

thanks karen
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

Brummiebabe... part of your post made me chuckle..... "in my defence" and "technically" are probably the words most used in my conversations when talking about my shopping

Well i have cleared a bit more space in my freezer .. have taken the last gammon joint out of the freezer and the balls of tortilla dough -so tomorrows dinner is gammon wraps with hm coleslaw and salad -and the same for hubbies lunch the day after... i will bag and freeze up any gammon left -which won't take up as much room as the whole joint
    I have also taken out the last 2 hm onion n poppy seed bagels -so will have those for lunch tomorrow

Have been churning through my recipes as i have some bananas i need to use up- but trying to NOT put anything back in the freezer causes quite a conundrum.... But i have found a banana and ginger parkin/cake .... not only do i have all the ingredients in but it says it will keep in a tin for 2 MONTHS .... so i may have to make a double batch to use up said nanas and eggs ..and YES i will post therecipe if it works out ok

night all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • almar
    Can I do a gammon joint in the slow cooker?
    Quidco £196 - Voucher Codes £408 - GC Saved £603
    P.A.D. £4720 / £4330- Jan GC £375/Spent £283.78

~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 19th Aug 08, 9:06 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hi everyone,

Another NSD today, i need it as only £40ish to last 8 days!!!

Still feeding my family/students 6 adults, (3 of these are very very hungry teenagers). 3yr old 1 yr old. I include all food, household stuff and nappies for little one. i think i have enough meals in the freezer for 8 days just!!!
    But i already need F&V, milk and sandwich stuff for everyone..... will i do it?

£400.00 per month this month and i started this month with freezers and cuboards cramed full, i think i will go over. it works out as £13/14 each roughly.

Next month will definatley more as the freezers and cuboards will be empty. so i think another £100. So £500 or £16/17 each.

i know that this doesnt sound a lot but i always bulk cook so every meal is being stretched as much as i know how. lots and lots of whoopsies. i cook a lot of casseroles, curries and spag bols. but this means meat and lots and lots of veg everynight.

i need some menu ideas for cooking for lots of people inc toddler and baby. can anyone help. i cant afford £500 next month so i need to think carefully.

im sorry to go on, its just when i thought about it, i got a bit worried then i thought that someone on here would have some ideas.

thanks karen
    Originally posted by fertyskids
    Oh Ferty hon, don't worry you've got all the lovely peeps on here to back you up.
    As you know Nikki puts the recipes on the 1st page of the thread and you should go and look on weezl's thread she makes money go miles and you can just times quantities for your houseful
    PM me if you like hon, keep your chin up love and hugs to you and yours.
    HWGA xx
    Last edited by Herewegoagain; 19-08-2008 at 9:14 PM.
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 19th Aug 08, 9:07 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    handful of cubed butternut squash 10p (optional - I had some in the freezer)
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Not sure if anyone else has asked this - I've not been online for a couple of days and am still about 6 pages behind! Got to go to bed soon, so will have to catch up on the rest tomorrow, however just wanted to ask how you freeze your BNS? Do you cook it first or freeze it raw? I have a half of one in the fridge and no plans to use it in the next week or so, so if I could freeze it that would be brilliant

Ta!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • princess leia
    Herewegoagain, do you make your own bread? Even if you don't have a BM the Hovis mixes are so easy to do and at the mo they are only 29p at Mr T and Mr A I believe, so really cheap for a loaf nowadays!
    Also, do you have a Mr M's? If so, get stocked up on their 50p stuff like sausages and bacon, muffins etc which you can freeze, or split the packs and freeze into portion sizes.
    I hope I haven't come across as telling you the obvious, but its so hard to keep up to date with who does what on here and so I thought I would share what has worked for me this month
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 19th Aug 08, 9:15 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 49,600 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Having spent €3 on chorizo to-day I now have €86.67 to see me through to 31st.,finally getting the freezers emptied, know that there is some stewed apple in there since last year but thanks to my wonderful filing system can't find it...labelling would help I suppose, there is also lots of crab apple juice from last year, going to make some mint flavoured jelly as Christmas but want to wait as long as possible and of course we will need more crab jelly so that should all go, leaving me lots of room for this year's apples.

Was talking to OH about blackberries to-night and he reckons that they have all rotted without ripening due to the rain...will don the wellies to-morrow and scout the field for something!

Good luck to all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 19th Aug 08, 9:17 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Not sure if anyone else has asked this - I've not been online for a couple of days and am still about 6 pages behind! Got to go to bed soon, so will have to catch up on the rest tomorrow, however just wanted to ask how you freeze your BNS? Do you cook it first or freeze it raw? I have a half of one in the fridge and no plans to use it in the next week or so, so if I could freeze it that would be brilliant

Ta!
    Originally posted by *BigBird*
    I just peeled and chopped it, then bung it in a bag in the freezer. (Not sure if it should have been blanched or not but I didnt bother) I do it this way cos it normally takes a while to prepare so is easier to have some in the freezer ready to cook from frozen. Great for quick easy BNS soups, stews etc if you havent got the space in the freezer for the soup IYSWIM oooh or you could do a mix of sweet potato & BNS too ... and roast it from frozen yummy...

Nikki x
  • bails
    Oh but Mrs M, the guy broke his back and then climbed Everest at 23. Even if he's annoying that's still v impressive! (Sorry,off topic) *exits stage left*
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
  • kymbogs
    I used the Hovis white bread mix which is 29p at MrT But I have put a recipe on the Index for proper HM Bread
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    I love the Hovis bread mix! I started making my own bread a couple of weeks ago and discovered this stuff when I was looking at flour to buy to make my bread. Can't believe how cheap it is compared to all the other ones - does anyone know if this is just an intro price or if it is likely to stay this cheap? I priced up how much it would cost to do totally from scratch and it was only about 2p difference and considering all the weighing out it saves on, I can't recommend it enough! I've been telling everyone all about it
    Spoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • busy mum
    Went to Mr Tesco today and spent my 2 notw vouchers, I don't know if anybody here buys them but in Tesco they are selling the EYE Q capsules (Omega 3 &6 oils for those who don't know what i'm talking about) at half price £19.99 down to £9.99 for 180 capsules. Hope this helps someone, I purchased three boxes as they are £21.99 a box in Boots. I know Boots do a 3 for the price of 2 but Tesco is still cheaper.
    JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50

WEEK 2 = £60.83
    Week 3 £72.05
  • Sian the Green

Still feeding my family/students 6 adults, (3 of these are very very hungry teenagers). 3yr old 1 yr old.
    £400.00 per month this month
    Originally posted by fertyskids
    Wow, I think you are doing very well already, sounds like you are feeding an army!
    I was just thinking of ways you could use less meat or cheaper meat. I know that sausages are pretty cheap relatively, I love them chopped up in casseroles etc and it always feels like you are getting a lot for your money.

I guess with the hungry teenagers try to up the cheap carbs like pasta and potatoes (I love the MASSIVE pasta bags in Tesco), if they understand that you have to cut back can they be helpful too in pushing the boundaries of what they will eat? Or even give them a budget for a meal and a challenge to cook together or in competition with each other, might help them appreciate the cost of meals and give you a breather from cooking. I know there are lots of tips on here for adding in extra lentils or oats to bulk out meals, or have value bread and marg available for filling up on after meals.

What about cheaper shops? I know that Macro and places like that sell bulk a lot cheaper, for things like cheese or catering amounts of tinned tomatoes with a household your size it might help (once bought a bf a 10kg block of cheese for Christmas, he was amused).

Hmm... I'm guessing you are pretty much an expert already tbh but those are just the things that came to my mind. Will have a think...
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 19th Aug 08, 10:58 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how much other people in a similar position spend on groceries? There is just the 2 of us + 1 (fussy) cat, we seem to be spending about £55 - £65 / week on groceries. We do get supermarkt own brands, go with a list etc. but still ...

Sorry if this has come up earlier somewhere, had a quick look around and couldn't see any..

Thanks!
    Originally posted by ska1982
    We are two adults and an easily pleased terrier . I currently spend about £35 a week, although we used to spend at least £50. Grocery Challenge definitely helps and we eat just as well if not better. As someone else on here said, try to reduce it by ten or twenty pounds a month. I started with a target of £170. However people include different things in their budgets, we don't include meals out, alcohol or gifts, but I do include basic toiletries and household stuff.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 19th Aug 08, 11:08 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Hi Ska1982 - On the washing front - how many washes do people tend to have to do per week? I literally have to do 6-7 loads to get through all the bfs stuff. I don't understand how he does it! More man clothes seem appear in the laundry basket than its possible to wear in one week lol. At the mo the pile is nearing the roof...!

Lxx
    Originally posted by SavvyStudent
    Hi hun, we I do an average of three loads a week. (2 adults). Sometimes get annoyed at OH for hanging worn once clothing over the end of the bed rather than hanging up in wardrobe- but at least he has finally learned not to put non-smelly, non-stained clothes straight into basket . I think kids and men often put clothes in the basket because its easier than working a coat hanger- far too technical . A friend of mine (mother of three teenagers) uses the sniff test with her boys clothes. If it's not stinky or stained she hangs it back in the wardrobe- so far they've not noticed. Quote, "Wow, Mum you washed that quick"
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,349Posts Today

7,840Users online

Martin's Twitter