Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SaraD1980
    • By SaraD1980 15th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 5Thanks
    SaraD1980
    Barclays current account
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    Barclays current account 15th Jun 19 at 8:28 AM
    Hi , last month I contacted Barclays regarding my current account and through conversation I requested that a fee of 12 a month be looked into as I wasnt exactly sure what it covered. After a short while the advisor said its an insurance payment that Ive been paying every month since 1998.

In 1998 I was studying at college and my account was changed from a teenage account to a full adult account as such .

She asked if I thought I was missold the insurance and I said I didnt know it was an insurance , stupidly assuming its a bank fee.

Anyway she said shed put in a complaint for me for which I have now received an acknowledgment saying they are investigating.

Has anyone else been in similar circs? What happened ?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    • 22,898 Posts
    • 25,294 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    Others have been in similar circs. Some will receive refunds, many won't.

It depends on the precise nature of your case and available evidence as to whether there has been a mis sale.

Twenty years of paying it weakens your case.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Jun 19, 8:36 AM
    • 14,897 Posts
    • 17,906 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:36 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:36 AM
    Dont forget PPI stands for payment protection insurance. So it may well be that which by all accounts was not explained to you at the time

Good luck, that will be a nice whack of money if it comes off.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 15th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 15th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 15th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    Dont forget PPI stands for payment protection insurance. So it may well be that which by all accounts was not explained to you at the time

Good luck, that will be a nice whack of money if it comes off.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

PPI is a payment based on the balance on the card, typically 70-80p per 100 of debt, a fixed fee every month of 12 is not PPI.

As an example, I have 100 on a card, I pay 70p of PPI, the next month it's 200, I pay 1.40 of PPI. To have the same PPI fee every month would require some ridiculously unlikely set of circumstances where you somehow paid the exact amount every month to leave an identical amount on the card (regardless of spending and interest) so that the PPI would be charged on the same balance every month which is so close to impossible that it just isn't feasible. 12 a month will almost certainly be a packaged account fee or some sort of separate policy
    Last edited by Nasqueron; 15-06-2019 at 2:26 PM.
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right. Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community... -Winston Churchill 1961
    The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • SaraD1980
    • By SaraD1980 15th Jun 19, 2:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    SaraD1980
    • 15th Jun 19, 2:31 PM
    Looked at it further
    • 15th Jun 19, 2:31 PM
    I have looked at the acknowledgement letter from Barclays and it states its an overdraft PPI and has been 12 each and every month since 1998
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,904Users online

Martin's Twitter