Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clement1na
    • By Clement1na 11th Jun 19, 9:48 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Clement1na
    Can anyone help/advise?
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:48 AM
    Can anyone help/advise? 11th Jun 19 at 9:48 AM
    I am baffled as to why BOS trading as Halifax have refused both my claims and are supported by the Financial Ombudsman.For over 2 years I have tried to claim a PPI from 1990(I have the paper work) which I did not need or want on a secured loan.I was also sold an inappropriate endowment mortgage for a small mortgage of 6000!Again I have the proof of purchase.
    I was told that I did agree to it(my integrity insulted) as the PPI box was ticked and also I could afford it!.

Although admitting that the mortgage was in appropriate they would not say what would have been more suitable.
    Any advice from anyone?
Page 2
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 12th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Thanks for your empathy.However you may be aware that it wasnt until recently that Martin Lewis made us aware that the banking industry were employing unfair methods and that we could now act to claim back any funds which were taken without just cause. Hence the 29 years.
    Originally posted by Clement1na

I would suggest you keep an eye on the news rather than just this site. Martin Lewis obviously helped bring the PPI miss-selling scandal to the wider public but it was well publicised back in 2008-2010 when the regulator and courts started looking into the selling and issues over PPI.

In your case, the regulator has ruled you were not miss-sold, the lender did not apply any unfair methods and the funds were not taken without just cause. Complaining this late does not give credibility to your situation, if you didn't want the PPI with your loan, why did you agree to it and not complain at the time? You could simply have refused it or complained when you noticed.

Your complaint reasons are easy enough to address - work sick pay is rarely as good as people think, even the NHS rarely offers more than 6 months full, 6 months half pay, did you have anything like that? Death in service benefit is not a complaint reason, you can't argue to pay your debt you would chose to die! There are only 1-2 occupations that are immune to redundancy, if a private firm goes under then you will get basic redundancy pay and nothing more.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Jun 19, 11:36 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,014 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Thanks for your empathy.However you may be aware that it wasnt until recently that Martin Lewis made us aware that the banking industry were employing unfair methods and that we could now act to claim back any funds which were taken without just cause. Hence the 29 years.
    PPI complaints started back in the early 2000s. Nearly 20 years ago. I put my first misselling complaint in about PPI back in 2003.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 12th Jun 19, 11:50 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    Takmon
    Originally posted by Clement1na
    You said you went into the bank to take out a loan and then they added on PPI that you didn't want or agree too which you knew you had because it was clearly stated in your loan documents.

If you went to a restaurant and they gave you something you didn't order and then added it to the bill would you just pay it because Martin Lewis hasn't made you aware that you could complain about that?

There was nothing stopping you making a complaint in 1990 to Halifax when you saw they added something you didn't want or need. The concept of making a complaint to a bank is nothing new and it should be common sense you can make a complaint about being charged for insurance you didn't need or want.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,616Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter