Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,791Posts
    • 39,104Thanks
    jwil
    New plan...time to see some movement!
    • 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    New plan...time to see some movement! 23rd Aug 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello!

I've decided it's time for a new diary. I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and have come up with a new plan.

My debt is all at 0% on my DMP and is just clearing, albeit very slowly at 1 a month. This will increase when little miss gets her free hours at nursery next year.

Our mortgage is 118,511 and the only interest bearing debt, on a tracker rate so vulnerable to interest rate rises. I'm very happy with the rate though, and we can make unlimited overpayments, so for the time being, not looking to fix.

I still need to pay back 2400 for my car.

We need to start doing some of the work to the house that we've been putting off for years. So we need to get saving for that before it gets to a stage where we have no choice but to do the work as an emergency.

My new plan therefore is that I am going to let the DMP run itself, focus on paying back the car, the mortgage and saving for the house work. I will be trying to build the emergency fund/F&F fund, so that if my creditors offer a settlement I will hopefully be able to take advantage.

I hope that by changing my focus I will keep my motivation rather than getting fed up about not seeing any progress towards my debts. The mortgage will go down regardless of whether I manage to make overpayments, and hopefully the savings will increase!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 52
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    I hope the toy sorting went well Jwil .

I thought you might be interested in this article on recycling plastics

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/plastic-recycling-terracycle-oceans-waste-tom-szaky-friends-of-the-earth-a8907156.html
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you It's an interesting article. I couldn't read it properly as it was blocking me because of my adblocker but I saw enough to get the gist of it.

Whilst I think that Terracycle are providing a service, it's not really a solution. The article seems to 'blame' councils for not collecting this stuff, but they don't collect it because no one wants to use it! There's no market for it, it's expensive to collect and sort, and something is only recyclable if someone wants to use it for something. We shouldn't be blaming the councils for not collecting this stuff, we should be shouting at the manufacturers for not using packaging thats easily recyclable.

Terracycle works because they keep everything separate, and so have a single material type there. That's not practical for councils to manage. I do question whether it's really environmentally friendly for us all to be traipsing around to recycle a few crisp packets, particularly if we need to drive to a collection point, but I can see why people want to do it.

The extended producer responsibility proposals should mean that things are easier to recycle in the future and I'm looking forward to seeing that!

Terracycle are moving into reuse, and working with manufacturers to provide big containers of things like washing liquid etc which can be returned and reused. I like the idea of this
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th May 19, 7:35 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 5,195 Thanks
    brizzlegirl

Terracycle are moving into reuse, and working with manufacturers to provide big containers of things like washing liquid etc which can be returned and reused. I like the idea of this
    Originally posted by jwil
    Its also MSE. We order huge bulk containers from a single supplier who is environmentally friendly and get it all delivered at once. We are then drowning in loo rolls, WUL, floor cleaner or whatever (and I appreciate you need space to store it and money to cover the initial outlay which not everyone has (we use our loft a lot ) and it definitely works out cheaper. We then usually refill them from a local store. or we recycle..but returning instead would be a great idea.

We live in a city so the idea of communal recycling points could work for us....but you're right we have to think who is responsible for what. I am reading all this stuff about electric cars and going all electric by 2030 which in theory is fab but I dont see how car charging in our narrow Victorian streets of terraced houses built around the horse and cart would ever really work...we need a system wide re-think which is agile enough to cope with change

On the other hand our panels work beautifully..I am awaiting a tariff payment any day now..

Hope you're enjoying the weather jwil..its well overdue as far as I am concerned

Have a great week x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 37% May 25% April 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal 301/750 July Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 20/80; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/05 Exercise in July RT 4k 04/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th May 19, 7:05 AM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    Its also MSE. We order huge bulk containers from a single supplier who is environmentally friendly and get it all delivered at once. We are then drowning in loo rolls, WUL, floor cleaner or whatever (and I appreciate you need space to store it and money to cover the initial outlay which not everyone has (we use our loft a lot ) and it definitely works out cheaper. We then usually refill them from a local store. or we recycle..but returning instead would be a great idea.

We live in a city so the idea of communal recycling points could work for us....but you're right we have to think who is responsible for what. I am reading all this stuff about electric cars and going all electric by 2030 which in theory is fab but I dont see how car charging in our narrow Victorian streets of terraced houses built around the horse and cart would ever really work...we need a system wide re-think which is agile enough to cope with change

On the other hand our panels work beautifully..I am awaiting a tariff payment any day now..

Hope you're enjoying the weather jwil..its well overdue as far as I am concerned

Have a great week x
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Where do you get your bulk containers from Brizzle? I want to start looking at doing this.

I agree about the electric cars, they seriously need to sort out the infrastructure. We are lucky in that we've got a drive, but there are several terraces around here and people can't get a space anywhere near thir house!

I'd like to consider solar panels one day too.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th May 19, 6:53 PM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    I've received 12.14 from a survey site today and 5 Love to shop vouchers

Just been ordering some packaging material for our sales. I'm trying to be more green with that too. I already reuse and recycle what I can from here and my work colleagues give me their packaging too, but I still need to buy it. I've bought some paper to use as packing material to reduce the amount of bubble wrap I use. I looked at paper tape too, but that's crazy expensive so out of budget at the moment. I don't use mailing bags as I don't like them, but will look about getting paper padded envelopes rather than the bubble wrap ones when I next need them.

It's nice to see food waste in the news this week. I saw today that Zero Waste Scotland are highlighting that it has a bigger carbon impact and climate impact than plastic It would be nice to see food waste and textiles getting the same sort of public reaction as plastic has and similar measures taken to reduce them.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th May 19, 7:57 PM
    • 10,006 Posts
    • 79,594 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've learnt a few new things about recycling since reading your diary Jwil. I'm feeling more conscious of my plastic use now, so will definitely be more mindful of that from now on.

Good news on the survey earnings .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005/5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 2,005/5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 129.37/500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = 150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = 50
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    I've learnt a few new things about recycling since reading your diary Jwil. I'm feeling more conscious of my plastic use now, so will definitely be more mindful of that from now on.

Good news on the survey earnings .
    Thank you I've learnt loads from yours and others too, it's a fab resource on here
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th May 19, 10:28 AM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    I've cashed out another 5.64 from a survey site

Got a lot to try and catch up on. I've had a counselling session and am going to be referred to an online cbt therapy course for my anxiety. It's been much improved recently, but I don't want to stay on medication forever and want to change how I react to things.

I'm hoping to get my 1 stone award tonight. Not sure if I've quite done enough but I'm hopeful. Hoping that the next one won't take so long. I do think I am well on my way to make permanent changes though so am happy to go slow if the weight is going to come off and stay off! I do need to tackle the exercise though, I'm just not doing enough (or any!)
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 16th May 19, 11:33 AM
    • 6,051 Posts
    • 24,322 Thanks
    abba1772
    Good luck for weigh in tonight jwil xx
    NEXT TARGET ARGOS WAS July 19 92.98 NOW 32.56
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 6690.31
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 16th May 19, 2:31 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Chrystal

Got a lot to try and catch up on. I've had a counselling session and am going to be referred to an online cbt therapy course for my anxiety. It's been much improved recently, but I don't want to stay on medication forever and want to change how I react to things.

I'm hoping to get my 1 stone award tonight. Not sure if I've quite done enough but I'm hopeful. Hoping that the next one won't take so long. I do think I am well on my way to make permanent changes though so am happy to go slow if the weight is going to come off and stay off! I do need to tackle the exercise though, I'm just not doing enough (or any!)
    Great that you're sounding so positive.
    Agree that going slower, but ending up with permanent changes is definitely the way to go. Rome wasn't built in a day, and slow change becomes habit.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 16th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 27,855 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Well done on the cashing out and the vouchers

Good luck with the weigh in tonight x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 4650.00 Lloyds: 8700.00 BC: 300.00 Cap One: GONE
    July LTW 3/22 ~ July NSD 2/10
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 3474.49/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 300.52/500 ~ EF 55/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th May 19, 3:36 PM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    Good luck for weigh in tonight jwil xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Thank you

Great that you're sounding so positive.
    Agree that going slower, but ending up with permanent changes is definitely the way to go. Rome wasn't built in a day, and slow change becomes habit.
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Thank you I have definitely got some new habits so I'm really pleased

Well done on the cashing out and the vouchers

Good luck with the weigh in tonight x
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Thank you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th May 19, 3:47 PM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    Declutter update:

Decluttering 2019:

488. Baby book
    489. Socks
    490. Washing line
    491. Garden rubbish
    492. Plastic bin
    493-495. Broken toys
    496. Toy hoover
    497. Sword
    498. Pushchair
    499. Xylophone
    500. Drum
    501. Witches hat
    502. Train
    503. Watch
    504. Bag
    505. Dr case
    506-510. Musical instruments
    511. Action figure
    512. Grabber
    513. Drawing thing
    514-515. Watches
    516. Car
    517-519. Balls
    520. Chattering teeth
    521-522. Soft toys
    523. Straw
    524-533. Assorted toys
    534. Slime
    535. Dr case
    536-537. Balloons
    538-539. Pens
    540. Bricks
    541-542. Toys
    543-544. Rucksacks
    545-561. T-Shirts
    562. Jeans
    563. Belt
    564-567. Pyjamas

Decluttering 2019 totals:
    Books: 60
    Magazines/papers: 51
    Ebay parcels: 297
    Other: 567

Total: 975

Ebay listings: 394

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: 35
    Paypal/cash: 67.64
    Other vouchers:42
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 19, 7:30 PM
    • 10,006 Posts
    • 79,594 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor

I'm glad you're getting some help for your anxiety in addition to the meds.

Good luck at your weigh in. If you can fit in some exercise it will definitely speed up the weight loss, but developing good eating habits over time is much more long lasting than crash diets, so you have the right approach .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005/5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 2,005/5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 129.37/500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = 150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = 50
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th May 19, 7:03 AM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm glad you're getting some help for your anxiety in addition to the meds.

Good luck at your weigh in. If you can fit in some exercise it will definitely speed up the weight loss, but developing good eating habits over time is much more long lasting than crash diets, so you have the right approach .
    Thank you, yes, I don't want to be on meds long term so I want coping strategies or learn how to think differently.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th May 19, 7:04 AM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    I lost 2.5lb last night so now 1st 1.5lb gone Very pleased. It's taken me ages, so hopefully not so long now I'm in a routine.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 17th May 19, 7:35 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Just popping in to say well done on the f&f! You've done amazingly well shifting so much!

I'm trying to declutter, but failing miserably. I've got mini piles of stuff everywhere that I need to box up and put together. I love the idea of a list to keep track.

Good luck jwil
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 17th May 19, 10:46 AM
    • 6,051 Posts
    • 24,322 Thanks
    abba1772
    Fantastic news about weigh in that's a great amount.......slow and steady wins the race xx
    NEXT TARGET ARGOS WAS July 19 92.98 NOW 32.56
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 6690.31
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th May 19, 4:29 PM
    • 10,791 Posts
    • 39,104 Thanks
    jwil
    Just popping in to say well done on the f&f! You've done amazingly well shifting so much!

I'm trying to declutter, but failing miserably. I've got mini piles of stuff everywhere that I need to box up and put together. I love the idea of a list to keep track.

Good luck jwil
    Originally posted by Choccygirl123
    Thank you I find the lists motivating as when I think the house still looks a mess I can see how much has gone!

Fantastic news about weigh in that's a great amount.......slow and steady wins the race xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Thank you
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th May 19, 5:03 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 18,818 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Great weight loss Jwil, big well done. xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • retiredandskint
    • By retiredandskint 17th May 19, 5:58 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 4,616 Thanks
    retiredandskint
    Well done on the weight loss jwil
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

2,313Users online

Martin's Twitter