Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 131
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 25th Jun 08, 9:01 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    thanks for tip Denise will do that i know what i am like need to get local paper later so will get some teabags then know if will be a bit dearer but wont come away with anything else whereas if I popped to Sainsburys I would have to have a look at their specials this week and I dont need them!! I shall keep chanting this to myself all day!!! not sure if it is same as weetabix cake will look out recipe and post later
    February grocery challenge 200
    • the_cat
    • By the_cat 25th Jun 08, 9:05 AM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 11,317 Thanks
    the_cat
    Hi everyone

Haven't posted for a few days so have just caught up. MrsM hope all goes well with your trip and thanks AngelNikki for stepping in.

Am declaring at 171.51 for June which I am really pleased with as I have stocked up the cupboards a lot due to needing to use my MrM 5 off vouchers.

Would like to set my budget for July at 220 as it is a 5 week month. I have already made a start by ordering a Tesco delivery. Came to 51.27. Got really lucky as I found a code for 1000 clubcard points on the discounts board which worked plus had a few others sent to me in the last mailing which means that I will eventually get back 53 in deals vouchers. As I use these to MOT and service my car which I would otherwise HAVE to pay I feel I am sort of getting the shopping for free IUSWIM!

Reading that back I haven't explained it at all well!!!!!!!
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 25th Jun 08, 9:09 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Here it is Denise couldnt do link so I have cut and posted it from another thread it might be the same but they taste yummy!
    Post By jaxxy00

How to make Weetabix Brownies

Im not sure how they are normally made but my recipe comes from a lady who was doing the refreshments at a community centre jumble sale me and my sister went to one year. We had a cuppa and one of the brownies and they were really yummy so we asked were they got them from and the lady said shed made them and gave us the recipe. I wrote it on a scrappy bit of paper that i still have and use now.

In a bowl put
    4 crushed weetabix
    4oz caster sugar
    4oz self raising flour
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    pkt chocolate drops (i use a 25p 100g tescos own milk chocolate chopped up)

mix this altogether

then take 4oz of melted marg and stir this into the mixture along with an egg

mix well and put in a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes at electric 180.

I put this mix into a square tin which measures 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. I suppose you could use anything a similar size it would just turn out a bit more or less deeper. I also line the tray with greaseproof paper to save any sticking. Once out the oven let it stand for about 5 minutes then turn out the tray and cut into squares.

Enjoy!!! if you get chance before everyone else takes them.
    February grocery challenge 200
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 25th Jun 08, 9:15 AM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,528 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning everyone , I hope you are all well today, I will have a NSD today as I have everything in ,,I hope,, my

JULY BUDGET IS 200

Thanks angelnikki.

I havre had a bad night and think I may go back to bed later that will stop me going out shopping as when I am stressed I just go shopping and just buy anything to fill my cupboards but now I have joined the July GC hopefully I will stay on track but it will be hard as it is for everyone, but here goes.

will have to look on the recipe page and see what other recipes there is I have ben copying them down offthe daily posts, but now thanks to angelnikki for the info about the recipe thread
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 25th Jun 08, 9:16 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Anyone have the millies cookies recipe (i have seem to have lost it)?
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    MILLIES COOKIES

3oz butter
    3oz granulated sugar
    3oz brown sugar (can just use all white granulated, works just fine)
    vanilla essence
    1 egg
    6oz s/r flour
    pinch salt
    4oz choc chips

Preheat oven to 180c.
    Mix all ingredients together.
    Put spoonfuls on greaseproof paper and cook for 11 mins precisely.

Cookies should still be soft when they come out of the oven, they will harden a bit.
    Peel off greaseproof when they cool.
  • WelshWoofer
    Good morning everyone.

Just a quick report - a NSD yesterday and one today too (hopefully).
    I'm making a veggie chilli for tea tonight that will last in the fridge until Friday for tea when I get back from my trip to Ireland tomorrow (only away for 1 night - Thursday - this time)

Am still wrangling with the idea of a real minimal spend on the weekend - could probably get what I really need for about £6 - or whether to use the Tesco voucher and stock up my almost bare cupboards, fridge and freezer?:confused:

The urge to spend is strong but I'm also trying to be as frugal as possible until I go on hols in 2 weeks time. Its a dilemma!

Anyway, better go and do some work now,
    Take care
    R

Just in case you needed us to post again..,.,
    AngelNikki my july budget is £100
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • jackk
    AngelNikki can you put me down for 200 again in July. I'm not ready to declare yet, my month does not end till Monday, so i'll do it then.

Goodluck everyone.

Jackie x
  • mandy_moo_1
    Drat though I was going to be clever then. Oh well from today it is.
    Just have to work out how to do this signature thing now . . . .
    Originally posted by wendywitch
    hi wendywitch sorry if this has already been answered, but to do a signature, just click on user cp in the green bar, then on the left it will say edit signature. just click on that and away you go good luck with your first month x

• russetred
    • By russetred 25th Jun 08, 9:48 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    My GC doesn't finish till Sunday and I'm off on holibags for the first 2 weeks of July so can you put me down for 180 for July.Look at me I'm red and I found the big button,arn't I a clever dinosaur! By the way thanks for the editing help everyone.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • nessquic80
    Morning all,hope you are all doing well in the GC,well i am gobsmacked i have achieved the ultimate challange and won 200 was my target and i am declaring 135.44 The freezer is still full, the cupboard looks a little bare (about 6 tins) the fridge is reasonable ,so i did well. For July put me down for 200 again angelnikki,thanks.Even though its 5 week month i can try!!
    Cant believe how fast this thread moves, ive only been away for one day and theres 11 pages to catch up on,oh well its worth the read considering i went to a spa yesterday and did absolutly !!!!!! all!!!
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!

• JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 25th Jun 08, 9:58 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    im declaring for june: 178.36 just under the 180 budgeted

im in for july 200 please
    #82 12k in 2018 - 3473.45/12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund 10850.02/250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund 2679.13/50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund 199.49/2500 - 7.98%
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 25th Jun 08, 10:02 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    hi all,jsu tried to edit my signature but it says 'BB code size too big' anyone know what that means and what i need to do to sort it?lol,sorry...im so pants at this
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 25th Jun 08, 10:04 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    There is a limit on signatures up to 4 lines I think and you can't use text that is too big either HTH

Nikki
    x
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 25th Jun 08, 10:36 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Wow I have just made meal plans right up to the end of July, using up lots of freezer stuff. Think we will have a week of buying bits and bobs at the start of Augs, away for a week or two, and then do a nice big stock up shop in the last two weeks of Augs! Hopefully the set budget will get all our fresh fruit/veg, yogs, milk, eggs, baby supplies easily enough (best laid plans lol) :rolleyes: .
    PS Anyone got any uses for broad beans ? Am putting some in tonights chicken stew but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. They are frozen ones.
  • shelley1977
    hi
    can i be put down for 225 for julys budget please angelnikki.
    still got till friday but dont think ill be spending anything else.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 25th Jun 08, 10:59 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    Wow I have just made meal plans right up to the end of July, using up lots of freezer stuff. Think we will have a week of buying bits and bobs at the start of Augs, away for a week or two, and then do a nice big stock up shop in the last two weeks of Augs! Hopefully the set budget will get all our fresh fruit/veg, yogs, milk, eggs, baby supplies easily enough (best laid plans lol) :rolleyes: .
    PS Anyone got any uses for broad beans ? Am putting some in tonights chicken stew but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. They are frozen ones.
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Hi OrkneyStar,
    this looks like it might be worth a try and you could probably alter the filling to suit what you have/like.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3503/basil-pea-and-pancetta-tart
    HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • linzmac
    What about the broad bean burgers posted by someone who I can't remember sorry! But thanks! They sound yummy-we're having them tomorrow!

Broad Bean Burgers
    1/2 teaspoon each whole cumin, coriander and fennel seeds. (i think you cound substitute ground spices for this)
    25g chard
    4 Tablespoons of olive oil or a mixture of olive and other
    350g potatoes
    305g shelled broad beans
    1/2 teaspoon chopped chilli or a pinch of powder
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    3 tablespoons fresh corriander chopped (I didn't have this so left it out)
    40g breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    50g plain flour

Dry roast the whole seeds and then grind
    wilt the chard in a tablespoon of the oil abd then chop
    boil the potatoes in salted water for five mins then add the broad beans and cook for another 8 mins or until done.
    drain and add the ground spices, chilli, garlic, termeric, 2 tablespoons of the oil and pepper.
    Mash roughly then add chard, coriander, breadcrumbs and egg and stir together.
    Shape into fat burgers - wet hands first
    Coat with flour and chill for half an hour if you have time!
    Fry in oil (not olive) for about five mins on each side until golden brown

Serve with sour cream or yog or just in a bun with some salad

Or a big favourite with us is new potato, bacon & broad bean salad with balsamic dressing.

Just cook tatties & beans, fry chopped bacon and mix all together balsamic vinegar. We always use fresh beans, but sure frozen would work too and if you don't have/like balsamic you could substitute it for another dressing or even some creme fraiche or something probably.

HTH
    Linz
  • linzmac
    Hi OrkneyStar,
    this looks like it might be worth a try and you could probably alter the filling to suit what you have/like.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3503/basil-pea-and-pancetta-tart
    HTH
    Perrywinkle
    Originally posted by perrywinkle
    Ooh wow, that looks yummy too!! Saved to my folder for the future....wonder if you could use fresh broad beans as we get them in our veg box a lot!
  • FelineFantastic
    Hi OrkneyStar-- I use broad beans on loads of stuff from mixed bean and pulse risotto, to pasta with pesto and chicken and beans and gnocchi with cheese sauce and broad beans (has that in an Italian once)-- I always have a bag of frozen broad beans and frozen soya beans in the freezer along with the peas!

Not sure if that helped a whole lot....
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 25th Jun 08, 11:13 AM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 5,245 Thanks
    teedy23
    Just a quickie to send a big CWCH to Mrs M and anyone else that needs one - for the heathen English amongst you its a big Welsh cuddle/hug - the kind that your Mam gives you when you fall over when you're little!

Take care everyone.

Oh and yesterday was a NSD and today should be one too.
    Originally posted by rachelmk
    has anyone asked how you pronounce that? sorry if they have too many pages here.Cuddles is one of my favourite things in any language.
    Sending one to MRSMAC xx
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 26:49.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,332Posts Today

7,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin