Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 130
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 24th Jun 08, 10:49 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    awww Nikki,your a star thank you sooo much,i want to copy and paste them to word so that i can print them and use them in everyday cooking(hard to do when you cant find them)thanks for your help,good luck with getting it all done! rather you than me,i struggle to find my way through a forum, thanks again,zoe.x
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 24th Jun 08, 11:49 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Thanks lil_me - the cats eat 2 pouches a day each and then some dried food at night. I am going post a new thread anyway as not sure if I should have put it on here!!
    Originally posted by Pixie983
    2 pouches cost approx the price of one 400g can.
    I refrigerate mine to keep it fresh-well wrapped and lidded.
    pouches are expensive so you could cut down the catfood bill by 50% immediately.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 24th Jun 08, 11:52 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    July Grocery Challenge target is:
    £280 angelnikki
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • savingfortravel
    Anglenikki
    Could I set July's budget at £200 for myself and OB.
    As always we'll put any savings towards our 2009 Adventure.
    Thanks for helping us all this month.
    Lets all send positive thoughts to Mrs M.. she should be on her way now.
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • mandy_moo_1
    mornin all

welcome all the newbies that are joining us.but be warned............this is very addictive!!

i just need some sugar and eggs today to keep up with all the baking i've been doing! just put the BM on for rolls to go in the freezer, and the washer's on with its 1st load of the day!! changing all the beds whilst its a half decent day for drying. if i'm lucky and the wind's good, i should be able to get away without ironing it

well i'm still in the June challenge till Sunday, but if you're starting the list soon,

please will you put me down for £55 a week for July angelnikki

hope everyone has a good and thrifty day, i'm off to wake everyone up with the hoover now

• razra
    • By razra 25th Jun 08, 6:06 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    razra
    Huge hugs MrsM, let me know if you need anything ((hugs))

Thanks to AngelNikki for taking over the challenge whilst MrsM is away

Welcome to all the newbies and ((hugs)) to anyone who needs them

Well this month has gone completely down the pan Im well over budget and looking back through my spends sheets it appears when ever I get I veg box I seem to go over budget by that amount:confused: (although this month its that amount plus a bit more)

So Im declaring June finished at £95.05 which while over budget if I Take the years totals into account so far Im still under budget

As my cupboards and freezer are empty I need to do a huge stock up shop so Im raising my budget to
    £90 for july please. I have pretty much run out of everything so my first adsa shop is done and that is cming up at £60 ish but with bog offs and free delivery Im hoping it will come in just under £50 so I will update my siggie when I know

Good luck to everyone for next month
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
    • wendywitch
    • By wendywitch 25th Jun 08, 6:21 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 15,029 Thanks
    wendywitch
    wendywitch I think most people start their new month straight after their payday and include all grocery shopping after that HTH

Nikki
    x
    Originally posted by angelnikki

Drat though I was going to be clever then. Oh well from today it is.
    Just have to work out how to do this signature thing now . . . .
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 25th Jun 08, 7:00 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi everyone,
    Hope you are all well. AngelNikki, Please put me down for £260 again for July Not sure if I've already done it, but thought I'd let you know again just in case.
    My month not over until Friday, but although I shouldn't need have to get anything until then, I don't want to jinx it by declaring now...

Cupboards are pretty empty now so I am going to do a big shop this week (probably scare the hell out of myself coz it won't be cheap! ) and then top up during each week to try to keep it that way - I'm hoping that if I can just replace what I am using, I should be able to stay on top, and then when we have a short week or something, I won't need to get anything? (Well, that's the theory :rolleyes: ).

These first few months are a bit of trial and error for me - trying to see what works best without loosing the plot. Hopefully, because new job starts Monday, I won't be tempted to buy when coming home from work any more!

NSD yesterday and hopefully today and tomorrow too (oh, I need to buy a hopper for the spider, but that's only 35p - lasts him about a month - cheapest pet we've ever had!)

Up at 5.15am this morning with hubby, so have cleared the kitchen, put dishwasher on, hung up washing from last night and put another one on ready for when I get home, so feeling quite chuffed - hope it's not worn me out and I can stay awake this afternoon - anyone else REALLY tired at the moment?
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 25th Jun 08, 7:08 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    morning all,

Angelnikki, thats a great idea!!

well had a lovely dinner last night, take out curry paid for by someone else! i ate far too much

planning to spend a little today, OH's ma & pa are down from about lunchtime and i know they want chinese for dinner, and that we're going shopping for her to get sthg wedding outfit-ish
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 25th Jun 08, 7:11 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning everyone
    Mrs Mc my thoughts are with you and your family
    A big thanks to AngelNikki for taking over while Mrs Mc is away and welcome all newbies
    did some baking last night for packed lunches some fairy cakes, cheese scones, weetabix brownies and a big pot of soup, cooked two chickens so feeing quite virtous this morning!!! I am sure it wont last hoping for a NSD but realsied forgottoen to put teabags on Mr Ts delievery yesterday cant do without my cup of tea but must resist eveything else while buying them!

good luck everyone for Julyxx
    February grocery challenge £200
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 25th Jun 08, 7:59 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Morning everyone
    Mrs Mc my thoughts are with you and your family
    A big thanks to AngelNikki for taking over while Mrs Mc is away and welcome all newbies
    did some baking last night for packed lunches some fairy cakes, cheese scones, weetabix brownies and a big pot of soup, cooked two chickens so feeing quite virtous this morning!!! I am sure it wont last hoping for a NSD but realsied forgottoen to put teabags on Mr Ts delievery yesterday cant do without my cup of tea but must resist eveything else while buying them!

good luck everyone for Julyxx
    Originally posted by patentgirl
    Oooh, Weetabix brownies.... is that the same as the weetabix cake?? recipe if not please

I tend to pop into our local pound shop if I only want teabags or something - stops me looking around for anything else as our cheap shop is a bit of a mish-mash so you tend not to linger. Our Tesco on the other hand always has such tempting offers (I shall not spend, I shall not spend!!! )
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 25th Jun 08, 7:59 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Morning all,
    Well I have deliberated and the like :rolleyes: , and decided we need £250 for July please, Angelnikki (just realised you are helping MrsM out- thanks for doing that)- this will include all food, toiletries, pet food, baby supplies etc. Our July runs 26/05/08 to 30/05/08 and so is a 5 week month.
    Hope everyone is managing ok, not got time to read all the posts at the moment but will hopefully get a chance later.
    Ta ra for now.
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 25-06-2008 at 8:11 AM.
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 25th Jun 08, 8:02 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    AngelNikki, Please put me down for £200 again for July
    I'm hoping to come in well under budget next month but DH comes home tomorrow for 28 days but the cupboard are bursting and have enough meals cooked for the month so once I have done my final shop today I should only need F&V hopefully.
    Good luck to everyone
    hugs to everyone who needs then.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
  • FelineFantastic
    I've got a fan oven where I can't switch off the fan too. It's got a nasty "hot spot" too (I thought fan ovens weren't supposed to get those :confused. Anyway I bake my bread at 180C for 35 minutes - maybe a couple of minutes over if necessary - and it comes out perfectly. Most recipes say it should be baked at something like 230C which I've always found much too hot.
    Originally posted by Justamum
    Justamum-- same for us- the top shelf always cooks quicker than the bottom which isn't meant to happen! I will try your idea- its all a bit trial and error for me as I am not an experienced breadmaker

Angelnikki- have let MrsM know my July amount and I can'' highlight red at work but its £200- ta-- you are really an for doing the recipe list too.....

... talking of which Weetabix brownies! can only echo DeniseF-- recipe please!! ( at the thought of losing weight!)

Am going to beetle off and do my multi- shop shopping list for this week- may be bigger than expected but some restocking required (why do boys perpetually have their heads in the fridge- and the cats do secretly eat at night I am sure...!)
    Last edited by FelineFantastic; 25-06-2008 at 8:28 AM.
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • linzmac
    Morning all!

Thinking of MrsM this morning...hope she had a safe journey and is with her family now.

hugs to anyone else who needs them too and hello and welcome to all newbies (I only started this month too and am totally addicted already...you have been warned!!! )

Another NSD for me yesterday in the end (6 in a row now! ) but will definitely be buying that water today as have to go and get my DS some new sleepsuits-he is only 10 weeks, but into 3-6months already lengthwise!

I won't be declaring June until Monday but seeing as everyone else is posting their budget for July and I have been thinking about it I might as well get it down 'on paper' before I change my mind!! Sooooo.....

Please put me down for £150 for July angelnikki (running from 1st-31st)

I am hoping to come in under this (aiming for nearer the £100 mark) as we have plenty of cat food, dog mixer, laundry and dw detergent etc and the freezer is full to bursting, but we will need some baking stuff, tinned dog food, water, milk and fresh fruit as I have changed our box delivery to only veg since we eat more veg than fruit and you always get apples, nanas, oranges and pears (not exactly seasonal!) and I want berries at this time of year....especially as we live in the berry capital of Scotland (if not the UK!). And we also always get fresh fish on a Friday (around £15 for the month).

I am not changing our household budget to reflect this, though and will still withdraw the £200 at the beginning of the month and just hide the extra £50 away somewhere (need to start trying to save something for when my maternity money stops in December!

Right, think I have gone on for long enough this morning!

Have a great day everyone!

Linz
    Last edited by linzmac; 25-06-2008 at 8:33 AM. Reason: I always forget something I wanted to say once I post...blame the baby brain!
  • lday77
    I'm still on the June budget with £29.71 to spend and very proud as it was my first attempt and I had a weekend away feeding an extra mouth.

I'm going to stick to starting my new budget from the first of every month as I'm self employed so it makes no odds, I'm skint all the time!

Quick baby update I meet the midwife on Friday and I feel as sick as a dog, that's probably why I have managed so well on this months budget as I haven't wanted anything to eat!
    [B]Murphy's No More Pies Member No. 28 on hold
    • greent
    • By greent 25th Jun 08, 8:51 AM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 82,590 Thanks
    greent
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by angelnikki
    wendywitch I think most people start their new month straight after their payday and include all grocery shopping after that HTH

Nikki
    x

Drat though I was going to be clever then. Oh well from today it is.
    Just have to work out how to do this signature thing now . . . .
    Originally posted by wendywitch

lol! It shouldn't really make any difference, as you'll do a big shop (I guess) next pay day - which will be in the calendar month of July, so it will all equal itself out overall Pay day here is 23rd of the month, but I was planning on running my gc as month end to month end (started 1st month - June on 31st May as I had a big shop delivered), but am now running it 4 weeks from then, so I'll start July on June 28th and run probably until26th July.

It's a matter of choosing what works for you and sticking to it to get a true comparison time-period to time-period, I guess

Denisefowler quote: Up at 5.15am this morning with hubby, so have cleared the kitchen, put dishwasher on, hung up washing from last night and put another one on ready for when I get home, so feeling quite chuffed - hope it's not worn me out and I can stay awake this afternoon - anyone else REALLY tired at the moment?

Yep- I am Denise - whatever time I go to bed I keep waking up at abut 5.30 (after waking a couple of times or more in the night). Sometimes I doze on and off until 6.30 (like today) - but I am permanently running on low energy levels atm - just wish I could get a full, decent length night's sleep!!

And how can anyone lose weight whilst doing GC?? - all these yummy recipes - I've never baked goodies so much

Oops - need to change siggy - forgot spends on ice creams whilst out on Sunday :-((

Gt
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £2418.57/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • perrywinkle
    • By perrywinkle 25th Jun 08, 8:53 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    perrywinkle
    re July Challenge
    Hi AngelNikki,

can you please put me down for £300 for the month of July. My June challenge runs until 30th so will post my final figure then. Well stocked up but have a Tesco coupon to use so should just scrape in under June figure.

Many thanks for stepping in for Mrs Mc - like all of us I'm thinking of her and her family.

Have good day everyone.
    Perrywinkle
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 25th Jun 08, 8:55 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    morning all,hope everyone is feeling well today,thanks for all the welcomes! im really enjoying being part of this challenge,and am quite proud of myself as i cooked a roast chicken dinner yesterday and then boiled the carcass to make a stew for tonight,all done.i also managed to make a yummy granary loaf in the BM,just got loads of housework to do today as up to date with washing,god bless my twin tub! will get as much done as my LO allows between feeds etc,hope you all have a great day,zoe.x
  • mumzyof2
    Niki - Can you check I have £150 next to my name as I think i have put that as my target this month?

I never have done this before but im going to start drawing out £37.50 a week and whatever i don't spend of that £37.50 i will put into my piggy (sealed pot). This is if i can afford it lol.

I might be off to tesco this afternoon thats if my tesco £5 off voucher arrives in post from my friend.

I will be stocking up on tin stuff and also my weekly shop. Don't know where Iam going to put it though.

Anyone have the millies cookies recipe (i have seem to have lost it)?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

2,054Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin