Rejection of vehicle - Consumer Rights Act

Comments

• lju
    lju Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    waamo wrote: »
    Then give it a go and report back. It would help others no end.

At this moment in time I am concentrating my efforts on obtaining my money back. I am more than happy to report the issue afterwards and will report back.
  • lju
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    So they specifically said in the advert it had no damage (or something along those lines) or said it hadn’t been previously leased? Alternatively when you asked these questions did they confirm otherwise?

I honestly don’t see the deal with an ex lease car but seeing as it’s clearly so important to you I’m assuming you did ask them?

Just to be clear people are asking you if they’ve actually lied at any point about this car. Have they?

Yes they were specifically asked questions regarding damage to the vehicle and did not disclose any or the extent of it.

Regarding the lease issue, the nature of the lease is consistent with the damage to the vehicle and its previous use.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    lju wrote: »
    At this moment in time I am concentrating my efforts on obtaining my money back. I am more than happy to report the issue afterwards and will report back.

Obviously you can't try court if they agree to give you your money back. I'm being a bit presumptuous in believing they may not play ball.
  • lju
    waamo wrote: »
    Obviously you can't try court if they agree to give you your money back. I'm being a bit presumptuous in believing they may not play ball.

I was referring to Trading Standards and the Unfair Trading Regulations.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Still can't believe how many people are happy to hand over money for a vehicle they haven't seen 'in the metal', haven't test driven, haven't seen the V5, service history, or done an HPI check.
    I doubt that they'd buy a used washing machine for £50 on Gumtree without a bit more due diligence than that.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • lju wrote: »
    Yes they were specifically asked questions regarding damage to the vehicle and did not disclose any or the extent of it.

Regarding the lease issue, the nature of the lease is consistent with the damage to the vehicle and its previous use.

Do you have any evidence of these questions and their responses? (eg email, text, recorded 'phone conversation). Given the rather precise nature of your posts, I'm surprised it's taken until #33 for you to confirm that you explicitly asked about accident damage - personally, I think I'd have mentioned it in my first post or after other posters had asked.

If you have the advert saved, can you post up what it actually says (you may not want to post the advert itself)?
  • lju
    Do you have any evidence of these questions and their responses? (eg email, text, recorded 'phone conversation). Given the rather precise nature of your posts, I'm surprised it's taken until #33 for you to confirm that you explicitly asked about accident damage - personally, I think I'd have mentioned it in my first post or after other posters had asked.

If you have the advert saved, can you post up what it actually says (you may not want to post the advert itself)?

My initial question in post 1 was about the responsibility for the return of the vehicle. That was answered in post number 2.

Obviously the thread has evolved somewhat since then, and I have divulged further information as a result.

I (thankfully) have all of the questions and responses which were conducted via email and text message.

As I have now taken legal steps to resolve the issue I think it is probably best for me not to post any advert or text from it at this time.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lju wrote: »
    This is the first time you're mentioning this, one would have though this would've been at the start of your post. All you stated that the pics/video on the advert didn't show the the "damage".
  • lju
    neilmcl wrote: »
    This is the first time you're mentioning this, one would have though this would've been at the start of your post. All you stated that the pics/video on the advert didn't show the the "damage".

I suppose it would have been, had my question been related to whether or not I had a case for rejection.

The pics/video showed no damage, the questions were asked and I trusted that the replies were accurate, unfortunately this was not the case.

I'd already made the decision I had enough "evidence" to reject under the CRA. My only remaining question was about the cost of returning the rejected vehicle.
  • lju
    For anyone interested in the outcome to this story.

The dealer continued to refuse to accept my rejection under the CRA. I gave them a deadline which came and went, after which I started legal proceedings (Section 75 via my CC).

Shortly after the dealer requested to collect the vehicle and provide a full refund if I agreed to a 50/50 split in collection costs.

I decided it wasn't worth my time or the hassle to argue over this so agreed.

I now have my money back, the car has gone and I will never buy a car without physically seeing it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure