Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martinjg51
    • By Martinjg51 11th Sep 19, 8:24 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Martinjg51
    New Customers Only
    • 11th Sep 19, 8:24 AM
    New Customers Only 11th Sep 19 at 8:24 AM
    Just seen the latest energy deals. I am dismayed to see that Eon has a deal for new customers only. I would have expected in this day and age that companies would offer deals to their existing customers. What price loyalty? Think MSE should campaign on this
Page 1
    • jk0
    • By jk0 11th Sep 19, 8:35 AM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 26,804 Thanks
    jk0
    • 11th Sep 19, 8:35 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 8:35 AM
    I bet if you ring them and threaten to leave, you might get through to someone intelligent.
    • paulypost
    • By paulypost 11th Sep 19, 10:18 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    paulypost
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:18 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:18 AM
    This is the second time this has happened to me. Eon simply say that it's a "business decision". Previously I have processed an official complaint. This time via live chat I mentioned Ofgem & the Ombudsman only to be told:
    "by all means you can do that if you wish but ofgem and the ombudsman are aware off are business decisions" (their typos not mine).
    Then I looked at their Facebook page and the horrific posts put me off taking the matter further on a simple point of principle (the saving would have been 34pa). But MSE should definitely start a campaign to stop companies discriminating against existing customers in this way.
    • macman
    • By macman 11th Sep 19, 10:37 AM
    • 43,495 Posts
    • 18,631 Thanks
    macman
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:37 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:37 AM
    There is no 'loyalty'. Why would suppliers offer discounts to those whom they don't think are going to leave them?
    Those of us who switch regularly are subsidised by the misplaced loyalty (or more often, just apathy) of the majority.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    E.ON Fix Online Exclusive Tariffs
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    Just seen the latest energy deals. I am dismayed to see that Eon has a deal for new customers only. I would have expected in this day and age that companies would offer deals to their existing customers. What price loyalty? Think MSE should campaign on this
    Originally posted by Martinjg51
    Hello Martinjg51 and you're right, we've recently introduced tariffs exclusively for new customers. These are the Fix Online Exclusives and they're available only through Price Comparison sites like the Cheap Energy Club.

This isn't to say we're not also looking at how to support our existing customers. We're continually reviewing our products in line with changing market conditions and have a number of tariffs available through our website.

Totally accept you're not happy with this decision and I'll be feeding this back to those here responsible for our overall package of tariffs.

Thanks for your feedback Martinjg51.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • UnclaimedEnergy
    • By UnclaimedEnergy 11th Sep 19, 1:27 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    UnclaimedEnergy
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:27 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:27 PM
    EDF, Scottish Power and British Gas all come out cheaper for me on Uswitch anyway.

Normally if you're showing a company loyalty, you wouldn't mind not being on their cheapest tariffs anyway.

If the main concern is price, then it's easy enough to switch away.
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    E.ON Fix Online Exclusive Tariffs
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    This is the second time this has happened to me. Eon simply say that it's a "business decision". Previously I have processed an official complaint. This time via live chat I mentioned Ofgem & the Ombudsman only to be told:
    "by all means you can do that if you wish but ofgem and the ombudsman are aware off are business decisions" (their typos not mine).
    Then I looked at their Facebook page and the horrific posts put me off taking the matter further on a simple point of principle (the saving would have been 34pa). But MSE should definitely start a campaign to stop companies discriminating against existing customers in this way.
    Originally posted by paulypost
    Hello paulypost and thank you, too, for your feedback. As above, I'll be letting those responsible for our tariffs know your views on this.

We'll gladly record all complaints. As our advisor said, with business decisions like this, there's no alternative resolution we can offer. Whilst I understand where you're coming from and am happy to acknowledge this, these complaints won't be taken further by us.

You're free to go to the Energy Ombudsman if you wish. We've kept them up to date with our offers to make sure we comply with our regulatory obligations.

Thanks again for the feedback paulypost and sorry for the typo in our reply.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • paulypost
    • By paulypost 12th Sep 19, 7:23 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    paulypost
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:23 AM
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:23 AM
    Come on MSE? Any response to this glib dismissive approach that Eon is expressing here? It's all very well to say that our disgruntlement will be fed back to the business decision makers, but does that make it fair? I regularly switch tariffs within Eon and keep an eye on their unit rates (as well as being a member of the Energy Club). However, there must be thousands who do not and end up paying more than they need to and they are the consumers that should be protected.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 12th Sep 19, 7:45 AM
    • 7,862 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:45 AM
    • 12th Sep 19, 7:45 AM
    paulypost I think the trick would be to switch to another energy company that has no exit penalties and then switch back to EON as a new customer.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Sep 19, 8:12 AM
    • 21,171 Posts
    • 15,402 Thanks
    molerat
    This type of behaviour is actively encouraged by OFGEM in the name of openness and fair competition. What more proof do you need that OFGEM are not fit for purpose.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    E.ON Fix Online Exclusive v8
    Morning all and just a quick update.

Last night, we removed the Fix Online version 8 tariff from sale. The only tariffs we now have on sale are available to both new and existing customers. These can be seen on our website and the Price Comparison sites.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Malc
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 13th Sep 19, 7:16 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    Morning all and just a quick update.

Last night, we removed the Fix Online version 8 tariff from sale. The only tariffs we now have on sale are available to both new and existing customers. These can be seen on our website and the Price Comparison sites.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Your Fix Online version 8 tariff was your cheapest tariff (for most customers)
    It was even being promoted a couple of weeks back in the MSE Email
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips/28-08-2019/#energy

Will Eon be offering a new cheap tariff soon, are are you not interested in gaining any new customers at this time?
    ... or indeed retaining existing customers coming to the end of their fixed deal if you have really taken on board the criticism of 'brand new customers only' tariffs
    • paulypost
    • By paulypost 14th Sep 19, 7:30 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    paulypost
    Many thanks Malc
    So LOYAL customers are meant to be thankful that a good deal is no longer available to anyone? Was that a business decision taken for the sake of fairness to all?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Sep 19, 1:31 PM
    • 4,873 Posts
    • 8,274 Thanks
    Smodlet
    So LOYAL customers are meant to be thankful that a good deal is no longer available to anyone? Was that a business decision taken for the sake of fairness to all?
    Originally posted by paulypost
    Paulypost, that is the whole point of the switching process. Loyalty is worth about as much to energy companies as it is to telecoms companies and, increasingly, to banks. Gone are the days you could go and talk to your bank manager of thirty years and get a loan that a new customer could not.

With the exception of water companies (which we are stuck with) to every utility, churn, churn, churn; to every customer, switch, switch, switch.

Nowadays and for quite a while now, it is all algorithms and bots; people matter less and less. The only way to win at the game is to play it. I have just left my energy supplier of seven years (grudgingly) because their prices just do not stack up any more. They are by far the worst of the big 6 on price for me now.

Let those too busy, important or apathetic subsidise those of us smart enough to watch the market at renewal time and switch; they obviously have better things to do.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,920Posts Today

7,339Users online

Martin's Twitter