Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 9th Sep 19, 2:43 PM
    • 3,647Posts
    • 2,683Thanks
    GreatApe
    Climate Change: Ways to fix it
    • 9th Sep 19, 2:43 PM
    Climate Change: Ways to fix it 9th Sep 19 at 2:43 PM
    https://youtu.be/8ZO9M1_CJD0

A good video about ocean fertilisation to do CCS on huge scale at low cost

https://youtu.be/WR6uSXW-8p4

A video about aerosols for cooling the planet at low costs
    Last edited by GreatApe; 09-09-2019 at 6:08 PM.
Page 2
    • Hexane
    • By Hexane 9th Sep 19, 10:30 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Hexane
    When we're overrun by AI robots won't all this be irrelevant anyway? Any idea when they're due to attack, it's just that I need to book a dentist appointment and it seems a bit pointless going through all that pain if humanity is going to end soon.....
    Originally posted by mmmmikey
    If you are a fan of Stephen King's huge rambling Dark Tower series, you will remember that the bear AI, in at least one of its instantiations, seems to have a raging case of toothache (or something equally maddening) itself... https://darktower.fandom.com/wiki/Shardik

GreatApe now seems to spend more time discussing general AI than discussing bear AI. General Bear AI seems to be this person: https://twitter.com/marcinwwa

I am sure that I mentioned before that Roger Penrose disputes the idea that intelligence can consist of "just atoms", but I guess GreatApe ignored that aside.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Sep 19, 7:12 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Careful with that latter part, it can be misinterpreted by people (some of whom are looking for a reaction) as meaning "everything finds its level" or similar. It's always worth emphasising that the level of equilibrium that might be found, might be (at the more distant extreme) rather more like the planet Venus with temperatures hot enough to melt lead and sulphuric acid raining from the skies, or (entirely possible) at least sea levels high enough to submerge half of the UK's major cities.
    Originally posted by Hexane
    Yes, you are absolutely right. The equilibrium is currently on course to be devastating.

The Paris Accord target of 1.5C+ is itself very bad, but about the best we can hope for, if action is sped up, and from 2050-2100 we are able to extract CO2, otherwise CO2 levels by 2050 (with zero additions from then on) will take us to 2C+ when temps catch up with CO2 levels, due to the lag factor.

Even 1.5C+ only gives us 2:1 odds of avoiding runaway global warming.

BUT BUT BUT, why not do it anyway, even if you don't believe in AGW (science), who doesn't want cleaner, greener, cheaper energy, and FF's are a limited resource, so we have to move on anyway.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 10th Sep 19, 7:17 AM
    • 707 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    JKenH

BUT BUT BUT, why not do it anyway, even if you don't believe in AGW (science), who doesn't want cleaner, greener, cheaper energy, and FF's are a limited resource, so we have to move on anyway.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Yes, we agree on something
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Sep 19, 7:31 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This is nonsense

What devastating impact is global warming having today in 2019?

And most the sad stories are stories about lack of development not due to the concentration of Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere

Anyway why not geoengineer away the problem or at least use it as part solution

What about ocean fertilisation which promises so much or aerosols in the atmosphere to cool the planet. If global warming is a big problem (it isn't) then we can take action today to cool the planet in one or multiple ways

The only reason we don't try to cool the planet is because there is no consensus on what an ideal temperature is
    Originally posted by GreatApe
    Facts and science say you are wrong.

I'm more a Rugby fan than a football fan, but that doesn't mean I'd go onto a football forum to argue for Rugby.

You may disagree with facts and science, but that doesn't mean you have to troll the green and ethical board with dirty black FF lies.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 11th Sep 19, 10:52 AM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Surely it's the other way round? We can function for 85 years with minimum maintenance. A machine requires a constant power supply & frequent maintenance.
    Originally posted by 1961Nick

That's amusing that you think electricity and machine maintenance is anything equivalent to the maintenance a human needs

An average western human needs maybe £1.5 million in their lifetime
    Food shelter NHS schooling transport all sorts that add up

£1.5 million will buy you a lot of electricity and the robots will be self maintaining self replicating self expanding. I still think you are thinking of a basic machine
    I'm talking about a truly independent autonomous self aware machine another type of life form

The earth has a finite capacity for humans
    I don't know what that figure is but let's say 100 billion
    Well the limit for machine intelligence is far higher
    Not only can the machine use much more resources much more effectively
    But they can go into space and live there fine too
    Perhaps even more easily than on earth

it won't take long for them to form a Dyson sphere
    They will go out into space and build a sphere of solar panels to cover our sun totally
    That will keep them busy for a time but they will go further
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 11th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    1961Nick
    That's amusing that you think electricity and machine maintenance is anything equivalent to the maintenance a human needs

An average western human needs maybe £1.5 million in their lifetime
    Food shelter NHS schooling transport all sorts that add up
    Tell you what, put one of your fancy machines on a deserted island along with a human & we'll see which is still working 6 months later.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400

Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 11th Sep 19, 12:35 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Tell you what, put one of your fancy machines on a deserted island along with a human & we'll see which is still working 6 months later.

General AI obviously doesn't yet exist
    And your criteria is biased and odd

Also the way you imagine this is wrong

There will be droids maybe billions of droids but those droids will be like one of your bodies cells disposable and likely not fully intelligent by itself (but with perhaps the code to become so just like all your cells have the whole DNA but perform different functions)

The brain the actual intelligence will be mountain sized computers both on earth and in space
    The body of the machine will be billions maybe trillions of interconnected machines

It's possible there may be only one general machine super intelligence (I think this is most likely) or multiple machine super intelligences. Either way these will be massive clusters of machines numbering billions trillions even more, controlled by one gigantic mountain sized brain.
    Last edited by GreatApe; 11-09-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 11th Sep 19, 1:00 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    1961Nick
    And your criteria is biased and odd

Also the way you imagine this is wrong

There will be droids maybe billions of droids but those droids will be like one of your bodies cells disposable and likely not fully intelligent by itself (but with perhaps the code to become so just like all your cells have the whole DNA but perform different functions)

The brain the actual intelligence will be mountain sized computers both on earth and in space
    The body of the machine will be billions maybe trillions of interconnected machines

It's possible there may be only one general machine super intelligence (I think this is most likely) or multiple machine super intelligences. Either way these will be massive clusters of machines numbering billions trillions even more, controlled by one gigantic mountain sized brain.
    Have you been foraging for mushrooms again?

• Hexane
    • By Hexane 11th Sep 19, 1:09 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Hexane
    "You're terminated, f***er." - Sarah Connor.
    ... but when he does, he will be working closely with Major Major.
    (I think this is most likely)
    We know you do. You've mentioned it a couple of times now.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 11th Sep 19, 9:52 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 3,979 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    From the bits I've seen quoted I don't thing GA would pass the Turing test..
    • michaels
    • By michaels 12th Sep 19, 9:31 AM
    • 22,683 Posts
    • 104,076 Thanks
    michaels
    Elon Musk also believes we will be out e loved by our creations and I can't really see why we would not expect this to happen. I lack the brain bandwidth to even speculate what will happen to humanity once this happens.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 12th Sep 19, 11:54 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    From the bits I've seen quoted I don't thing GA would pass the Turing test..
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    From the bits you've seen ...... hold my beer ....

Not only can the machine use much more resources much more effectively
    But they can go into space and live there fine too
    Perhaps even more easily than on earth

it won't take long for them to form a Dyson sphere
    They will go out into space and build a sphere of solar panels to cover our sun totally
    That will keep them busy for a time but they will go further
    I'd suggest that 'ignore' is actually the kindest option here?

• GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 12th Sep 19, 2:13 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    GreatApe

Stop trolling
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 12th Sep 19, 5:27 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    JKenH
    Stop trolling

So can we take it you didn’t delete the original post and link and replace it with the content currently showing?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 13th Sep 19, 7:47 AM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Martyn1981

Stop trolling
    Finally a true and reasonable comment from you.

• GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 13th Sep 19, 12:12 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    GreatApe
    So can we take it you didn’t delete the original post and link and replace it with the content currently showing?
    Originally posted by JKenH

What are you suggesting?

The original video was informative but I saw another video questioning if Prager university was a university at all. Not having the time or inclination to check i removed that video and posted a couple of videos re options to do CCS via biology and temp control by changing amount of sunshine reflected.

The original video was a good video I thought but i didn't want it's message to be overshadowed by questions of the biases or merits of Prager university
    • GreatApe
    • By GreatApe 13th Sep 19, 12:21 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    GreatApe
    Finally a true and reasonable comment from you.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981

I meant to quote your last post not to quote me

This is a general problem with chrom&android just scrolling up and down you hit the multiquote button or the spam button when all you are doing is scrolling up or down
    • Hexane
    • By Hexane 13th Sep 19, 12:29 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Hexane
    The original video was informative but I saw another video questioning if Prager university was a university at all. Not having the time or inclination to check i removed that video and posted a couple of videos re options to do CCS
    This sort of editing after-the-fact and without explanation, is discouraged on most sensible forums (no idea about this one) because it has the effect, intentional or otherwise, of making replies to the original material nonsensical.

As indeed would have been the case here, if I had bothered to click on any of the links involved. (I don't click on random YouTube links with no meaningful and reliable indication of what the material will be, especially from posters who lack a reputation for sensible discourse.)
    • 1961Nick
    • By 1961Nick 13th Sep 19, 2:21 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    1961Nick
    This sort of editing after-the-fact and without explanation, is discouraged on most sensible forums (no idea about this one) because it has the effect, intentional or otherwise, of making replies to the original material nonsensical.

As indeed would have been the case here, if I had bothered to click on any of the links involved. (I don't click on random YouTube links with no meaningful and reliable indication of what the material will be, especially from posters who lack a reputation for sensible discourse.)
    Originally posted by Hexane
    Agreed...it's very poor form to change the original post or thread title once a reply has been received.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 13th Sep 19, 2:29 PM
    • 9,137 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Martyn1981

I meant to quote your last post not to quote me

This is a general problem with chrom&android just scrolling up and down you hit the multiquote button or the spam button when all you are doing is scrolling up or down
    But I've never experienced any such problems and I'm just a dumb Googler, not a smart fizzycyst like you (claim to be).

And Hexane's comment remind me of when (under your cells account) you deleted around 100-200 posts arguing with me (and others) that the cost of our leccy supply is only 10p/day, when it's actually about 30p/day - when you finally took notice of my posts explaining that the 'National Grid' is a company, not a description, and that distribution charges, around twice that of transmission costs also have to be added on. You will recall that your denial of ever posting said comments fell flat after many of us pointed out that they were preserved (for posterity) in our quoted responses to you.

Since you are not a very good troll, just a prolific one, perhaps now might be a kind and friendly time to retire from that role, after all, even you now agree, that you are a troll.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,823Posts Today

7,555Users online

Martin's Twitter