Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,333Posts
    • 7,900Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 121
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Sep 19, 8:56 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I've been casting an occasional and very jaundiced eye over my area's parliamentary muppet and their activities and, suffice it to say, that I consider them to be a complete and utter disgrace and totally unfit to hold any kind of political office.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    You don't live in Sheffield Hallam do you ? We got lumbered with Jared O'Mara
    On the side of OTC medications, I keep ibuprofen and paracetamol, olbas oil, lavender essential oil, tiger balm, we.leda arnica lotion and vicks First Defence.
    My hospice & oncologist advocate paracetamol as a first line pain relief - even if it's the full dose for several days. Buy from a pharmacy as it should be cheaper than the 16x packs in supermarkets/non-pharmacies (this is down to differences in licenses to sell OTC meds.
    particularly for those whose life brings them into contact with lots of people, or who have children bringing in lots of novel bugs.
    I just put a blanket ban on certain people coming round (I do have an excuse though)
    Last edited by unrecordings; 10-09-2019 at 8:58 PM. Reason: quotes messed up
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 11th Sep 19, 6:49 AM
    • 4,748 Posts
    • 4,385 Thanks
    gfplux
    Whatever the actions of out elected representatives we should remember that many people, men and women gave their lives so we could vote.

When the time comes please make the effort to cast that vote.

Now back to prepping.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up.
    • Blue Doggy
    • By Blue Doggy 11th Sep 19, 7:09 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 3,759 Thanks
    Blue Doggy
    I find myself wondering what will happen when we next get a chance at a general election - a seismic shift in political power or a mass refusal to vote, on the grounds that it doesn't achieve anything?.
    I very much hope as many people as possible will exercise their right to vote. It was hard won. We’ve just commemorated the 200th anniversary of the Peterloo Massacre, a refusal to vote is a betrayal of all those who struggled to win the right for everyone to vote.

Except in a one-party state with compulsory voting, there will always be people whose vote is cast for what may turn out to be the losing side. To regard that as one’s vote “achieving nothing” is erroneous: it indicates the spread of opinion, and shows that not everyone agrees with the views of the majority (as living in a free country and having freedom of speech allows).

If people give up because they don’t think their vote will be in the majority, the winning side will be encouraged in their arrogance and do their best to foist their muppetty dystopias on everyone and the country. They will regard electoral silence as agreement or at least acquiescence.

I’d just like to recall the result in the 1997 General Election in the Winchester constituency, which was a very safe Tory seat. In 1997, the Lib Dem candidate won by 2 votes. The Tory threw his toys about and demanded a rerun, which he got. In the resulting by-election the Lib Dem won by over 20,000.
    Last edited by Blue Doggy; 11-09-2019 at 7:11 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
    "When thou hast done, thou hast not done, for I have more"

John Donne
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Sep 19, 7:25 AM
    • 12,634 Posts
    • 242,820 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I always vote and always will, but I am concerned that many people may just give up on the electoral process.

I moved areas within my city and voted (in local elections) for the same party but in a different ward. The party lost the seat in my old ward by exactly one vote. What we do makes a difference.

Love the lesson on Winchester.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Sep 19, 8:59 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    unrecordings
    You would hope the impasse of recent years would encourage people to vote, but I fear there's still going to be major apathy next time around. My great (or great great) gran was a suffragette, so there's always been a sense of civic duty to vote in our family. However I know some very politically minded people who've never voted once in their life. As an aside, our local polling station is the pub across the road - very civilised
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 11th Sep 19, 9:48 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Oops

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=76260997&postcount=1146 , just the last part , the link and my thoughts.

In regard to Brexit prep as I've said before, no nothing special. If nothing else I could not sensibly afford to stock up anyway!

Can't see a mass issue unless you need "mega posh brand x" only item or want something odd like Asapargus out of season perhaps, then again you'll still be able to get it no doubt just at a vastly inflated cost.

I think this is like the war years with rationing perhaps ? In that those with a few erm 'connections' and plenty of cold hard cash could quietly obtain whatever they wanted ? An 'under the counter' type thing. I would not be surprised if it went on 'black market' etc back then.

The only danger is panic buying I think for now, medicines are a concern perhaps however they have had enough time to stockpile things where possible and there are (afaik) plans for items that have short lifespans to get across.

Its impossible to say what will happen as no one has done this before. Did France not vote to leave about 12 years ago or thereabouts ? Not sure what quite happened with that. May research it later.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 11th Sep 19, 10:19 AM
    • 6,719 Posts
    • 102,664 Thanks
    fuddle
    I can't wait to cast my vote and I hope that the majority think like that. Our way of thinking here is similar to the thinking behind the saying 'a woman scorned'. We have a lot of fight when we're irked. I just hope that we re able to speak clearly one way or another and force through a decision. This frustrating process is now pathetic. Tom Watson is calling for a second ref before a GE. He's a remain MP in a 68% leave constit.

I applaud any MP who acts for what their constit voted for, some are lucky in that they agree I guess. Does anyone know of any MP who voted differently from their constit. but have acted in Parliament for the wishes of their locals? Leave or remain?
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 11th Sep 19, 10:48 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I can't wait to cast my vote and I hope that the majority think like that. Our way of thinking here is similar to the thinking behind the saying 'a woman scorned'. We have a lot of fight when we're irked. I just hope that we re able to speak clearly one way or another and force through a decision. This frustrating process is now pathetic. Tom Watson is calling for a second ref before a GE. He's a remain MP in a 68% leave constit.

I applaud any MP who acts for what their constit voted for, some are lucky in that they agree I guess. Does anyone know of any MP who voted differently from their constit. but have acted in Parliament for the wishes of their locals? Leave or remain?
    Originally posted by fuddle
    For those not "in the know" one of the easier ways is via here:

https://www.mysociety.org/wehelpyou/find-out-how-your-mp-voted/

You can get the info directly from the Parliament site but it can take a bit longer to find, whereas that link if you pop in your postcode will show you clearly how they voted recently click "show votes' on the right of the page shown after the Postcode.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Sep 19, 11:09 AM
    • 8,858 Posts
    • 31,562 Thanks
    Primrose
    I've always voted in elections but believe me, I am war weary of this whole issue now. What worries me is the damage this has done to the electorate as a whole in their trust in the democratic process and the value of their vote.

It's gloomy enough casting off summer but going into autumn and winter facing this depressing and uncertain situation will be a double whammy for much of the population I suspect.
    • Blue Doggy
    • By Blue Doggy 11th Sep 19, 12:32 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 3,759 Thanks
    Blue Doggy
    I always vote and always will, but I am concerned that many people may just give up on the electoral process.

I moved areas within my city and voted (in local elections) for the same party but in a different ward. The party lost the seat in my old ward by exactly one vote. What we do makes a difference.

Love the lesson on Winchester.
    Not intending to criticise you, GQ, I would be very surprised if you were ever a non-voter.

John Donne
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Sep 19, 12:39 PM
    • 12,634 Posts
    • 242,820 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    No offence was taken, hun.

But I am worried about people just giving up voting as a concept, this whole ridculous shenanigans in parliament gets more stupid by the day. Not only are they wasting time on the issue but they are wasting time which can and should be spent on other issues.

I suspect a lot of people are looking at their own MPs, grinding their teeth and waiting to give them an electoral smacking.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Sep 19, 12:43 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    unrecordings
    funnily enough I've been grinding my teeth today
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Sep 19, 12:49 PM
    • 12,634 Posts
    • 242,820 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    funnily enough I've been grinding my teeth today
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Dentists will be the unintended beneficiaries!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Sep 19, 1:24 PM
    • 13,618 Posts
    • 185,740 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I will always vote, it's been too hard won by people I'm grateful to for me not to. I do wonder though what the purpose of voting is in this day and age. If MPs from the party I regard as closest to my philosophy and ideals on life, the party I actually vote for, can subsequently choose to vote not to party line but to their own conscience and stand to represent my vote in parliament which is the direct opposite then the whole democratic voting process is made pointless.

I would like there to be an acceptable ending to all that's happened since the referendum in 2016 for both sides of the argument but I just cannot see how resolution one way or another to leaving or staying in the EU can be achieved without virtually half the nation being in absolute fury mode for the foreseeable future. Whichever way I chose to vote the thing that is the worse feature of all of it is that 52% of those who voted( and the option was open to all eligible voters to actually go out and cast their own vote) chose to vote to leave and their rights and decision are seeming to be disregarded and ignored by most MPs from all parties. Regardless of which camp you stand in surely that fact alone is cause for the gravest of concerns for what is presumed to be a Democratically ruled country,
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Blue Doggy
    • By Blue Doggy 11th Sep 19, 1:44 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 3,759 Thanks
    Blue Doggy
    But I am worried about people just giving up voting as a concept, this whole ridculous shenanigans in parliament gets more stupid by the day. Not only are they wasting time on the issue but they are wasting time which can and should be spent on other issues.
    Theyíve been wasting time since the day after the referendum. First Cameron resigned and they amused themselves with a leadership contest.
    Then they had their (much too long) summer hols.
    Then they had their party conferences (why not do that during their holidays? Like normal people).
    Then they mucked about until they could have Christmas off.
    Rinse and repeat, varying with a General Election if required.

Meanwhile, no Man Jack or Woman Jill of them had so much as a scribbled plan on the back of a crumpled envelope.

Whatís really annoying is that there was no proper statesperson among them who could see the dangers of division, call representatives of all parties together to work out a proper plan for a sensible orderly exit, keeping the whole country together. They should have done it during the summer of 2016.

If theyíd been really top drawer they could have even out of courtesy invited the Republic of Ireland to observe and comment on parts which will affect them.

Instead we have this ďthingĒ devised to keep one party united and remove a running irritation being dumped on us all, to our great harm. And it hasnít united even that one party.

But Iím sorry to say that the politicians we have at present (with one or two exceptions) are at best second rate and many are not even that.

Oops! Rant? Me? Never!

John Donne
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 11th Sep 19, 1:47 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 29,146 Thanks
    D&DD
    Our elected member frequently gets embarrassed on tv lol he's a right twit. Got in by the skin of his teeth last time and in a leave borough is rabidly pro EU and votes accordingly.

I'm of the same mind that no matter how peed orf I am I will always use my vote for much the same reasons as others have stated.
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 11th Sep 19, 2:07 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    Sapphire
    But I’m sorry to say that the politicians we have at present (with one or two exceptions) are at best second rate and many are not even that.
    Originally posted by Blue Doggy
    I'm sorry to say that a gaping sore has been truly exposed by the behaviour of the politicians. They don't even bother to speak to the electorate about the situation. No remainers have ever bothered to explain why they think it's a good idea for our country to be ruled by some unelected bureaucrats of the ilk of Junker and that ugly Belgian, with all the implications that would have for democracy. Or indeed, why we were never given a vote on the issue, but were somehow supposed to be fooled into thinking that the EU was 'just a trading organisation' (which most people would be fine with). The arrogance of these trashy people (exceptions excluded) is simply unbelievable.

Perhaps the politicians are just in the pockets of the EU bureaucrats and globalist corporations and individuals, in whose interest it is to make our country weak (via an ongoing process that has been made glaringly obvious over the course of the last couple of decades, and that has accelerated)? A country's sovereignty is a precious thing, generally achieved through centuries of strife and difficulties – who gave the politicians the right to sell off our country, especially without consulting the electorate? Trouble ahead.

One thing when it comes to preparations for Brexit, the original theme of this thread. Apart from the very good ideas mentioned earlier, I think it may be good to deal with any major expenses you've been thinking of, like those that can be incurred on things such as white goods, or essential work on a property, to ensure that you don't have to wait for too long for any of these things after Brexit. That's what I've been doing (but without any panic). They were things that needed to be done anyway.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 11th Sep 19, 2:38 PM
    • 10,303 Posts
    • 48,306 Thanks
    euronorris
    Very grateful for my medicine stock at the moment. Had a hellish night. No sleep gained, and got hit with an upset stomach too. Managed to just about keep it together long enough to get DD dressed, and her lunch bag prepped so that DH could drop her off at nursery and then we both promptly went back to bed (well, I had the bed, he had the sofa - his snoring wasn't helping matters). A gel ice pack (slightly warmed up, so not freezing) on my forehead and eyes and I was able to get a few hours kip.

Yes, I also have tiger balm and muscle pain cream/gel in my cupboard, and some bandages. No stranger to back pain or twisted ankles/wrists. I've never used the first defense stuff though, as not sure how well it actually works. Especially when your 3 year old sneezes directly in your face (despite your best attempts to teach her to cover her mouth). Sigh.

This too shall pass. Very grateful that neither of is had to schlep to the shops for paracetamol and the like.
    May Grocery challenge: £192.98/£300
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Sep 19, 4:21 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    unrecordings
    For those not "in the know" one of the easier ways is via here:

https://www.mysociety.org/wehelpyou/find-out-how-your-mp-voted/
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    I love this site, in a kind of masochistic way as you can look up expense claims and really drill down into the detail
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 11th Sep 19, 4:57 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I love this site, in a kind of masochistic way as you can look up expense claims and really drill down into the detail
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I did this with a friend a few months ago who lives about 160 miles away from me in Wales. We only did a very cursory search on expenses 'lately' but it seemed:

My MP seemed to have either lots of staff or few expensive staff (as the claims for those seemed quite high)

My friends MP, her staffing costs were very low but she had very high (imo) expenses for temporary accommodations.

The 'distance' from my friends place vs my place to 'Westminster' is not actually -that- different if you are using a road journey, at least according to vague route planners. It is about 120 vs 150 miles roughly.

To be fair neither of them had any outrageous claims for anything including foods etc.

Just goes to show!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

7,465Users online

Martin's Twitter