Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 8th Sep 19, 7:03 PM
    • 11,429Posts
    • 20,216Thanks
    melbury
    Windows 7
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:03 PM
    Windows 7 8th Sep 19 at 7:03 PM
    I know that updates for Windows 7 are finishing in January, but does that mean I should change my computer.

I have had my current HP pavilion for circa 10 years and it still works well for what I want to do, plus I really like Windows 7.

I know you were advising another poster about a replacement computer and mentioned SDD, which I have never heard of

Will it be dangerous to continue using my existing computer online after January? I do have Kaspersky Internet Security installed on it.

Also, if I did buy a new computer is there any easy way of transferring the data over from my existing one or would it be more sensible to pay a computer person to come and do it for me?

As some of you already know, I am a complete technophobe and just don't really understand anything much about computers
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Page 2
    • melbury
    • By melbury 9th Sep 19, 7:50 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 20,216 Thanks
    melbury
    Please can anyone answer the last big of my original post, which was:

Also, if I did buy a new computer is there any easy way of transferring the data over from my existing one or would it be more sensible to pay a computer person to come and do it for me?

As some of you already know, I am a complete technophobe and just don't really understand anything much about computers.

From what I read on here I think it will have to be a new computer.

I didn't download the free Windows 10 version when it was available because I thought it would cause problems - some people seemed to having some issues with it. My work computer is on Windows 10 and I think it is horrible, nowhere near as good as Windows 7 I hate change, it it ain't broke don't fix it.

• debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 9th Sep 19, 7:55 PM
    • 9,115 Posts
    • 6,857 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem

As some of you already know, I am a complete technophobe and just don't really understand anything much about computers.

From what I read on here I think it will have to be a new computer.

I didn't download the free Windows 10 version when it was available because I thought it would cause problems - some people seemed to having some issues with it. My work computer is on Windows 10 and I think it is horrible, nowhere near as good as Windows 7 I hate change, it it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Originally posted by melbury
    Sadly new PCs are going to be W10 (generally) ...
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Sep 19, 7:56 PM
    • 19,708 Posts
    • 50,037 Thanks
    elsien
    Do you not back up your laptop at regular intervals? If not, you should.
    If yes, then you have the data all ready to transfer.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 9th Sep 19, 9:48 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I couldn't say for sure, but..

I had a quick look on my browsing history, and https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/ was the last related page I visited.

I got it as a cheap eBay refurb. I doubt it would be powerful enough to run a later version, plus I'm not aware of any free upgrades. It's still potentially useful for offline stuff like spreadsheets & watching videos, so I hang on to it 'just in case'. One day I'll have a de-clutter & take it to be recycled.
    Originally posted by VoucherMan
    You are quite wrong. The specification of your device is still good and is ripe for upgrading with the fitting of an SSD.
    But if you aren't willing to go it a go, there is no point in discussing it.
    You can hand it over to someone else to do it for you, if you don't have any family members at hand.
    Many people have the same misapprehension because of the combination of their old and slow mechanical hard drives together with bloatware and years of clutter. They think their devices are incapable.

But your Intel Core i3-2120 with it's 4 GB RAM will fly with the addition of a solid state drive.
    Your CPU is more than doubly powerful than the CPU that I'm using now and this laptop is ready for use in less than half a minute from switching on. That is because of the use of a solid state drive.

Your old mechanical drive is dragging everything else down to it's level. With an SSD and a clean install of the operating system, you too will be surfing within thirty seconds of pressing the power button.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 10th Sep 19, 5:37 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 5,174 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    You are quite wrong. The specification of your device is still good and is ripe for upgrading with the fitting of an SSD.
    But if you aren't willing to go it a go, there is no point in discussing it.
    You can hand it over to someone else to do it for you, if you don't have any family members at hand.
    Many people have the same misapprehension because of the combination of their old and slow mechanical hard drives together with bloatware and years of clutter. They think their devices are incapable.

But your Intel Core i3-2120 with it's 4 GB RAM will fly with the addition of a solid state drive.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    How about my Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz with 1GB of RAM?
    I'd have no problem swapping the SSD if I felt inclined. I added one to my last PC. The obsolete OS is more of an issue (and no, I'm not willing to try Ubuntu/Linux again).
    With respect though, I only stopped by here to try and offer a little encouragement to the OP. Better, I feel to try & deal with his issues.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 10th Sep 19, 6:10 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 5,174 Thanks
    VoucherMan

What do you have / use on the old computer that you'd want to transfer to a new one? What do you use it for besides browsing the internet?

When I did mine I just copied a few files across with a USB stick. (imagine the sense of achievement when you've beaten the machine, done it all yourself, and of course saved a lot of money) No? Not you? May as well pay someone then.

My work computer is on Windows 10 and I think it is horrible, nowhere near as good as Windows 7 I hate change, it it ain't broke don't fix it.
    I too dislike change / Windows 10, but decided that I'll have to use it sooner or later, and the sooner I start, the easier it will be. Doing it now Could be a simple upgrade. Later is more likely to mean new PC/laptop.

Regarding a DIY upgrade (do you have any family / friends who could do it for you?), would it help to watch a video of the process to help convince you? This one looks okay.

• EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Sep 19, 12:40 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    How about my Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz with 1GB of RAM?
    I'd have no problem swapping the SSD if I felt inclined. I added one to my last PC. The obsolete OS is more of an issue (and no, I'm not willing to try Ubuntu/Linux again).
    With respect though, I only stopped by here to try and offer a little encouragement to the OP. Better, I feel to try & deal with his issues.
    Saved by it being a dual core.CPU. You would need to increase the RAM to perhaps 3 or 4 GB at the same time. Example; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laptop-Notebook-Memory-RAM-PC2-5300s-DDR2-4-gb-2-X-2-gb-200-pin/153551709626

Of course I don't know if it's a laptop. You would have to confirm the exact model.

You can then run Windows 10 32 bit or Windows 7 32 bit, if you wish.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Sep 19, 5:54 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    You can buy a genuine Windows 10 licence key on eBay for £5...

It is easy to change the appearance of Windows 10 using “Start is back”, “Classic Shell” or “Open Shell” (the latter two are free). The operation then becomes very similar to Win 7.

If you hate the idea of Cortana, then go for Win 10 Pro (£5 as above), you can turn off Cortana completely.

Win 10 Home is OK for most users, with a little internet searching you can find step by step instructions on the additional tweaks to customise Win 10 Pro, but it does work just the same as Home if you don’t want to learn how to tweak it.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 10th Sep 19, 7:31 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 20,216 Thanks
    melbury
    You can buy a genuine Windows 10 licence key on eBay for £5...

It is easy to change the appearance of Windows 10 using “Start is back”, “Classic Shell” or “Open Shell” (the latter two are free). The operation then becomes very similar to Win 7.

If you hate the idea of Cortana, then go for Win 10 Pro (£5 as above), you can turn off Cortana completely.

Win 10 Home is OK for most users, with a little internet searching you can find step by step instructions on the additional tweaks to customise Win 10 Pro, but it does work just the same as Home if you don’t want to learn how to tweak it.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Sorry I don't really know what you mean by Cortana - is that all of the pictures that appear when you click on the windows symbol? Although it is on my work computer, I don't know much about it, e.g. still don't know how to log off if someone else is going to use my computer. I have to use ctrl/alt/delete and do it from there or shut down and start from scratch again. I don't see why they have to change basic things like that and hide them away.

A few people have said to me that it isn't worth replacing Windows 7 with Windows 10 on an old computer and to just go for a new computer with it already installed. Just seems a shame when my computer still works pretty well.

• melbury
    • By melbury 10th Sep 19, 7:41 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 20,216 Thanks
    melbury
    What do you have / use on the old computer that you'd want to transfer to a new one? What do you use it for besides browsing the internet?

When I did mine I just copied a few files across with a USB stick. (imagine the sense of achievement when you've beaten the machine, done it all yourself, and of course saved a lot of money) No? Not you? May as well pay someone then.

I too dislike change / Windows 10, but decided that I'll have to use it sooner or later, and the sooner I start, the easier it will be. Doing it now Could be a simple upgrade. Later is more likely to mean new PC/laptop.

Regarding a DIY upgrade (do you have any family / friends who could do it for you?), would it help to watch a video of the process to help convince you? This one looks okay.

Well it is mainly photographs and documents. I wonder if they would fit onto a USB, might give that a go in advance of making the change.

Online there is also a long list of websites that I use all the time that were imported from IE when I change to Chrome, plus loads of bookmarked sites, probably dozens! What would be the best way of keeping those sites that are actually online? Snipping tool and pasting into word and printing off perhaps?

• Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Cortana is the Microsoft version of “Alexa” or “Siri”, it’s an assistant that many of us detest.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 10th Sep 19, 8:17 PM
    • 4,980 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    victor2
    Online there is also a long list of websites that I use all the time that were imported from IE when I change to Chrome, plus loads of bookmarked sites, probably dozens! What would be the best way of keeping those sites that are actually online? Snipping tool and pasting into word and printing off perhaps?
    From https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816?hl=en-GB:
    Get bookmarks on all your devices

Turn sync on in Chrome with the same Google Account on all your devices. By default, your bookmarks will sync on all of them.
    Learn more about getting your bookmarks on all your devices.
    Do that on the old computer, then do it on the new one and away you go.
    You can manually export and import the bookmarks too if you prefer.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Sep 19, 10:34 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Sorry I don't really know what you mean by Cortana - is that all of the pictures that appear when you click on the windows symbol? Although it is on my work computer, I don't know much about it, e.g. still don't know how to log off if someone else is going to use my computer. I have to use ctrl/alt/delete and do it from there or shut down and start from scratch again. I don't see why they have to change basic things like that and hide them away.

A few people have said to me that it isn't worth replacing Windows 7 with Windows 10 on an old computer and to just go for a new computer with it already installed. Just seems a shame when my computer still works pretty well.
    Did you read post # 24 or are you just looking at the posts that reinforce what you'd like to believe?

Your PC is fine. You should fit an SSD to it. You don't need a new PC. You don't need to buy a new licence, as you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from what you have now.
    If you are too afraid to do anything, you won't do anything.
    • Aidanmc
    • By Aidanmc 11th Sep 19, 7:52 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Aidanmc

i tried to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 using this video. Everything seemed to be going fine with the downloading process but at the end it stated that windows 10 was not compatible with my computer and so was not installed! its a hp pavilion g6 laptop.
    would i need to fit an ssd first and then install w10?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    i tried to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 using this video. Everything seemed to be going fine with the downloading process but at the end it stated that windows 10 was not compatible with my computer and so was not installed! its a hp pavilion g6 laptop.
    would i need to fit an ssd first and then install w10?
    Originally posted by Aidanmc
    If you intend to upgrade over the top of an older OS, you can be informed that your laptop is not compatible.
    But in most cases, this is not true. The issue is usually to do with upgrading over the top of the old OS, than actual compatibility with Windows 10.
    So it is always better to run a clean install.
    Further to that, it is always best to run a clean install to SSD, if you currently have an old style HDD.

The benefit to this method, apart from a much better performance overall, is that the data on the old HDD remains untouched. You can access it at any time and copy it over to the new SSD at your leisure.

Many have done this with the help of the members of this forum and are now happily using their upgraded laptops.

Unfortunately there are few that are too afraid to do anything resembling simple maintenance and prefer to scrap perfectly good hardware. Instead purchasing a whole new device.
    • Aidanmc
    • By Aidanmc 11th Sep 19, 12:11 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Aidanmc
    Yes, i was trying to upgrade over windows 7.
    I would definitely be willing to attempt to fit an ssd to my laptop. Which one would be suitable? and how can i run a clean install of windows 10 to it.
    thanks
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Sep 19, 12:43 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I would definitely be willing to attempt to fit an ssd to my laptop. Which one would be suitable? and how can i run a clean install of windows 10 to it.
    thanks
    Have you posted the exact model details of your device somewhere?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Sep 19, 1:25 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    thanks
    Try the Crucial UK web site, they have a utility to scan your hardware:
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner

They guarantee compatibility of the SSD, or you get a refund. However, as Everywhere pointed out, post details here to see if others can advise.

Laptops don’t always get updated drivers for new operating systems, check the manufacturers web site for Win 10 drivers, then ideally backup your existing system and install a fresh copy of Win 10 on your existing hard disk to see if there are problems. Issues to check for include battery/power control, graphics etc.

You can always restore with nothing lost. I swapped back and forth between Win 7 and Win 10 in the early days due to an initial lack of drivers for an external multi RS232 box. The backup software I use is Acronis True Image, but there are free alternatives. Keeping regular backups is something everyone should do...
    • melbury
    • By melbury 11th Sep 19, 4:18 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 20,216 Thanks
    melbury
    Did you read post # 24 or are you just looking at the posts that reinforce what you'd like to believe?

Your PC is fine. You should fit an SSD to it. You don't need a new PC. You don't need to buy a new licence, as you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from what you have now.
    If you are too afraid to do anything, you won't do anything.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Honestly I did read #24 and do appreciate the advice, but just don't feel confident enough to install Windows 10 and still don't really understand what an SSD actually is :

If I were to buy one of these £5 Windows 10 downloads via Ebay, if it didn't work would I be able to revert back to Windows 7 (and how?)?

• Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Sep 19, 4:32 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Honestly I did read #24 and do appreciate the advice, but just don't feel confident enough to install Windows 10 and still don't really understand what an SSD actually is :
    An SSD is a solid state drive, as opposed to one that has a motor driving a spinning disk. They are just like a large “memory” card that is faster than a mechanical drive and not easily damaged by roughly handling the laptop. If you checked Crucial, as I mentioned earlier, they have all the info. Equally a Wikipedia search tells you all you need to know!

If you don’t feel confident installing Windows, there is little we can do. I guess you don’t backup your existing hard drive, so if it failed you would be stuck. With a reliable backup you can play around in the knowledge that you have a means to return your laptop to a working (Win 7) state in a few minutes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,838Posts Today

7,674Users online

Martin's Twitter