Cramp in my calves

2»

Comments

• Thanks all.

I've had a few nights without cramps - but then last night it happened again. Darn it.

But - I'd been to the gym in the morning, and worked in the afternoon, I hadn't had very much to drink at all, hadn't had any extra salt in my food (it's a hard habit to break...), and no tonic water. So I've learnt my lesson!

Today I will drink more, add a bit of salt to my food, and have a glass of tonic before bed. Oh, and I've already had a banana with my breakfast, Nebulous2, before I read your post!! Fingers crossed for tonight.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I get these too, I asked a physio of the cause and was told it could be the change in temperature which I don't believe, they happen at night when its not hot nor cold but mild.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As for the steel toecap footwear - is it supplied by yourself or by your employer?

Have you considered composite toecaps which are as good as the steel ones and weigh less - search for metal free or composite toecap or ask where you buy your protection.

Friend had severe cramp after a replacement knee operaion and the only thing that cured it was - as said above - quinine tablets from the doc, before that he had been drinking tonic water, 2 or 3 bottles a day, and he said that gave him some relief.
  • I used to get cramp when doing sport but then started putting salt on my pre-workout meal and the cramp went away. I probably have a fairly low salt diet in general.
  • Thought I'd just pop back with an update.

The cramps have subsided considerably - maybe I've got used to the footwear?? D_M_E - they're provided by the employer. I found them really uncomfortable for the first week or two, but no bother now.

I've started to add a bit of salt to my food while I'm cooking it - previously I only put it in scrambled egg!! I still don't add it at the table, apart from chips (and I rarely have chips). And I'm trying to just be aware of how much I'm drinking (or more to the point, not drinking), and top up if necessary. It's not as warm as it was when I first asked the question, so I guess that might help on the hydration side of things too.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Nic246
    Nic246 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Just a thought, are you taking statins? A family member of mine recently started taking statins which caused him to experience cramps whilst working out. Unfortunately he's found no solution to prevent it yet :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure