Are private hearing aids better than NHS?

Comments

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 January 2018 at 9:29PM
    He has micro behind the ear ones (silver colour as got grey hair), & wears specs as well but has no problems at all. Comfy from day one, all fits neatly.

They are a good 50% smaller than NHS, in comparison I'd describe the NHS ones as actually quite "sizeable".

Won't hurt to go & take a look, ask to see the micro's. Of course, sound quality is paramount but if not comfortable you'll just be reluctant to wear them. Check the small print for the 90 day money back guarantee, might be good.

Good luck.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Sevenofnine, are his private hearing aids in-ear?

My NHS behind the ear is uncomfortable. After wearing it last night, my ear is still uncomfortable, as the whole cartilage is pushed out.
    It sounds to me as if the fitting isn't quite right. There are quite a few variables which can make a difference: length of the tube would affect where it 'sat', for example.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    I have two private aids and these cost me about £3k!!!!!
  • visited a private audiologist as my hearing was getting less sharper always had problem with certain tones
    we completed a hearing test and he sold me a package for £800.00 before the end he checked my ears and removed several pieces of wax and remarked that my ear canal was small
    Of I went with my new hearing aid which I could not use anything beyond basic introduction level was too intense and I was hearing other peoples telephone calls
    several further appointments later with me persevering and him insisting I try to work with the hearing aid I attended an appointment and whilst waiting he heard me having a conversation with his receptionist I told him I was not using the hearing aid and he finally gave me my money back. I should have gone to G.P for ears syringing and saved myself a lot of money this was 5 years ago I still do not use one
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    DH now has hearing aids from Amplifon. He's very satisfied with them.

He had hearing aids from the NHS but was never satisfied with the way they worked for him. He went back a few times but they were never able to make any difference. The Amplifon ones are much smaller but, importantly, much more sensitive. The real test came when used in church. Problem with the others was that they magnified everything - noise bouncing off hard surfaces making it impossible to distinguish voices.

Cost: £3,600. Worth every penny - he says. It's all about quality of life.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Tom99 wrote: »
    I would only go for private aids if they were available on a try and return basis.

Yes, this was the case with DH's new ones from Amplifon.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Local NHS trusts supply different hearing aids. My friend has just got hearing aids, NHS calls them Signia - they are actually the new Siemens which you pay a lot more for privately. They are adjustable via an App on her 'phone, and she can just tap things like, TV, Telephone, etc. on her phone and they are adjusted (by Bluetooth I think) to what she wants them to do. In ear aids do not suit the type of hearing loss experienced by most people according to her audiologist.

The audiologist took moulds of her ear canals and make up earpieces to suit her ears.
  • Hi, I am at the moment looking at going nhs for my mother’s hearing aid & asking for a refund for her private one that cost £1300!
    She is experiencing exactly the same problems as you & we’ve found them a waste of money. The nhs ones may not prove to be any better but we’re willing to try. Anyway I would certainly ask to try before you buy a private one as you may not find it any better st all. But don’t assume that if you pay a lot of money that they’re going to be better. Good luck!
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In a word - no. I have recently started wearing NHS hearing aids (made by Seimens) - after a couple of tuning tweaks by the audiologist they are amazing.

Most important is to stick with them. The strange sound of your own voice, peeing sounds like Niagra Falls, your footsteps like an elephant wearing boots - they all are not noticeable after a while. I downloaded an app on my phone which means I can make adjustments to suit particular environments.

Regular drop-in clinics for adjustments if you need them, free batteries, and don't forget free upgrades to more modern aids as they become available - what's not to like?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I suspect the service provided may depend on where you live? NHS post code lottery.

My wife feels her private aids are much better and more comfortable to wear that those provided to her by NHS.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport