Provident Life Association of London

My Dad has discovered an old whole of life policy document that he took out in 1972 with Provident Life of London Limited. I have found information that suggests that this company was taken over by Winterthur but then the trail goes cold. I have tried contacting Phoenix and Aviva without success.

Would anyone know who may know administer these old whole of Life assurance policies.

Thanks
JMA

Comments

• Old_Lifer
    Old_Lifer Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I remember Provident Life but I have no idea what became of them. Someone on the Forum who likes doing reasearch on the Internet may come along with current contact details.

Presumably your father stopped paying premiums long ago, in which case my initial throughts are:

1. The policy was terminated without value not long after it was taken out. Perhaps your father stopped paying the premium. In this was the case you would still have the policy.

2. The policy was surrendered. It would be normal for the policy to be requested before the surrender value was paid but if the policy was missing at the time, this would explain why you still have the policy document.

3. The policy was converted to paid-up with no more premiums due. It would be normal practice to request the policy for endorsement but again, if the policy has missing at the time you may still have the policy as it was originally.
  • bigbloke45
    bigbloke45 Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It later became Friends Provident, then Friends Life, but is now part of Aviva.

I hope this helps
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm very reluctant to disagree with BigBloke, cos he's probably right :))))))
    But my browsing points at Axa UK seeming to be the "owners" now . All the best.
  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    coachman12 wrote: »
    I'm very reluctant to disagree with BigBloke, cos he's probably right :))))))
    But my browsing points at Axa UK seeming to be the "owners" now . All the best.

AXA, BUPA and Friends Provident all merged to become the Friends Life group, which was then bought out by Aviva a few years later.
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Weighty1 wrote: »
    AXA, BUPA and Friends Provident all merged to become the Friends Life group, which was then bought out by Aviva a few years later.

Looks like Weighty has provided the definitive and final answer. There are some great detectives on this Forum :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure