cyclist deaths & the law

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »

Other than the fact that the drivers concerned were acquitted by a jury you mean.

Stumped by this one mind you. I don't quite understand how driving at 60mph where there's a 40mph limit and ending up on the wrong side of the road on a double bend doesn't amount to dangerous driving. Seems positively lethal me. Driver should have got 3-5 for that; even for causing death by careless driving he should have got 1-2. I'd shoot the sherriff myself.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 July 2012 at 10:15PM
    antrobus wrote: »
    Other than the fact that the drivers concerned were acquitted by a jury you mean.

Stumped by this one mind you. I don't quite understand how driving at 60mph where there's a 40mph limit and ending up on the wrong side of the road on a double bend doesn't amount to dangerous driving. Seems positively lethal me. Driver should have got 3-5 for that; even for causing death by careless driving he should have got 1-2. I'd shoot the sherriff myself.

yup and it begs the question why.
    The way the trial/evidence was handled or as simple as a common view of it being the cyclists fault

oh and go looking for the old favourite.
    low sun

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120524/Delivery-driver-Paul-Luker-hit-killed-RAF-officer-Tom-Barrett-escapes-jail-sun.html

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Dead-cyclist-s-family-says-verdict-means-justice/story-13077373-detail/story.html
  • custardy
    mikey72 wrote: »

Don't see how

he was 10mph over the limit(I assuming this is an estimate from where the hard braking started)
    this is a wet road,approaching a double S bend. so I would say not a section of road to take at the limit surely?
    "The incident took place because the accused was driving at 10mph over the speed limit," said Mr Sneddon.

"Had he not been doing so, this accident would not have happened. He accepts that and it is something he will have to live with.

a 1 year driving ban seems paltry along with community service
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2012 at 11:00PM
    Don't see how

he was 10mph over the limit(I assuming this is an estimate from where the hard braking started)
    this is a wet road,approaching a double S bend. so I would say not a section of road to take at the limit surely?

a 1 year driving ban seems paltry along with community service

Seems he got the going rate, same as if he'd killed a car driver, so what's your point?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Paradigm wrote: »
    All road users should be registered, insured & taxed. This includes cycles.

Registration and compulsory third-party insurance for cyclists needs to happen asap. Cyclists do cause damage and they also cause personal injury to pedestrians. They should therefore be insured and registered so they can be held accountable for their actions.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Dave_C wrote: »
    As a cyclist and a driver I agree on this point. Apart from being covered in every Cycle training course, this is detailed in the highway code rules 72 and 73
    You mean these idiots?

Dave
    Yes, anyone stupid enough not to understand what a red light means.

I was witness to a accident a few years ago - I was sat at a red light at a junction with a turning to the left. The oncoming traffic had a green light and filter green to turn right, ie across the "straight on" path from where I was.

Some idiot cyclist came past me and went through the red light going straight on, at the same time as some idiot motorist from the opposite direction turned right without indicating. Result - motorist drove straight into the cyclist right in front of me.

I immediately dialled 999 for an ambulance but it turned out the cyclist wasn't seriously injured, though his bike was wrecked. He managed to get up and start a slanging match with the motorist before I was off the phone. The police also arrived, they took a statement off me and I never heard anything more. Hopefully both the numpties learned a valuable lesson...
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yes, anyone stupid enough not to understand what a red light means.

I was witness to a accident a few years ago - I was sat at a red light at a junction with a turning to the left. The oncoming traffic had a green light and filter green to turn right, ie across the "straight on" path from where I was.

Some idiot cyclist came past me and went through the red light going straight on, at the same time as some idiot motorist from the opposite direction turned right without indicating. Result - motorist drove straight into the cyclist right in front of me.

I immediately dialled 999 for an ambulance but it turned out the cyclist wasn't seriously injured, though his bike was wrecked. He managed to get up and start a slanging match with the motorist before I was off the phone. The police also arrived, they took a statement off me and I never heard anything more. Hopefully both the numpties learned a valuable lesson...

We'll wait for all the IAM drivers to tell us you don't need to indicate. To be fair, I may not in that position. It's a filter lane, where else are you going?
  • custardy
    Crabman wrote: »
    Registration and compulsory third-party insurance for cyclists needs to happen asap. Cyclists do cause damage and they also cause personal injury to pedestrians. They should therefore be insured and registered so they can be held accountable for their actions.

So that will cut down on cyclist deaths and injuries. which unlike all other oad users,appears to be on the rise (although needs validation on number of cyclists vs accidents)
    The taxi that caused my accident was registered,insured & licenced
    Didnt change anything for me. was he/she held accountable? or did they simply drive off and leave me for dead on the road?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    mikey72 wrote: »
    We'll wait for all the IAM drivers to tell us you don't need to indicate. To be fair, I may not in that position. It's a filter lane, where else are you going?
    It wasn't a filter lane - the road is two lanes in that direction and both lanes can go straight on.

Besides even if it was a filter lane the driver should be indicating - a pedestrian crossing the side road he's turning into won't necessarily know that.

I had some idiot almost run me over in a similar situation in the town centre. I was crossing a side road as a pedestrian, the motorist was turning left without indicating. Her excuse was that you can only turn left there, which was true as straight on was buses only, but I couldn't see the road signs showing that from where I was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure