HSBC threatening text messages

Options
Hi

I get these text messages from HSBC when I go into my overdraft "You're now using your arranged overdraft. To avoid arranged overdraft interest your account must be in credit by 23.45 today" just went into my o/d at 10pm. It's just the way the textes say pay money into your bank before you get the charges at 23.45 which could make people panic. Also it doesn't say what the charges will be?

Does anyone else get these awful text messages?

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's not awful, it's also very standard now as banks have been encouraged to breathe down customers' necks about their overdraft usage by the regulator. They can turn these off if you ask them.

How is it a threat, anyway? It's factually true.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Samsam1387
    Options
    Hi JJ thanks for your reply,

Maybe factual but it's still a threat by saying your account needs to be in credit by middnight or you will be charged. Some people could get anxiety from these text messages, that's all I'm saying.

I will certainly ask them to turn it off & find out how much I will be charged for being in my ARRANGED o/d
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a threat in the slightest. Its just a warning for your own benefit.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    I’m glad of these messages, because if I go into my overdraft it’s because something has gone wrong somewhere and I need to know about it ASAP! Last time I got one was an incorrect charge.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They are very useful texts and allow you to correct any oversights quickly rather than paying fees for days or worse. I am very much in favour of them
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Samsam1387 wrote: »
    I will certainly ask them to turn it off & find out how much I will be charged for being in my ARRANGED o/d
    The fact that you don't know what your overdraft charges are before going into it would suggest that you're exactly the kind of customer who isn't fully on top of their finances and therefore benefits from prompts and reminders to help them....
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi JJ thanks for your reply,

Maybe factual but it's still a threat by saying your account needs to be in credit by middnight or you will be charged. Some people could get anxiety from these text messages, that's all I'm saying.

Snowflake generation? I've rarely read anything so ridiculous as this (highlighted above) !
    It's getting to the point where the banks and regulators are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • kuratowski
    kuratowski Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In the old days when you went overdrawn you would hear about it through the post much later, with a notice of fees + interest that are going to be added to your account, and there was nothing you could do about it by that stage.

In the new system, you are told before the fees are even incurred, and while there's still time to avoid it. It's not a threat, it's a warning.
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I get these text messages from HSBC when I go into my overdraft "You're now using your arranged overdraft. To avoid arranged overdraft interest your account must be in credit by 23.45 today" just went into my o/d at 10pm. It's just the way the textes say pay money into your bank before you get the charges at 23.45 which could make people panic. Also it doesn't say what the charges will be?

Does anyone else get these awful text messages?

Yeah truly awful and threatening,

Threaten them back claiming you have been traumatised and demand compo.:)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe factual but it's still a threat by saying your account needs to be in credit by middnight or you will be charged.
    It is not a threat in any way. It is simply stating what will happen if you do not take action.
    Some people could get anxiety from these text messages, that's all I'm saying.
    They need to see their Doctor if they get anxiety when faced with reality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure