Switching to First Direct - help please

2»

Comments

• gele
    gele Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry I do mean the everyday current account. I opened it with the intention of switching it to First Direct. I chose First Direct Because of the 5% regular saver and the fact that it doesn't require direct debits. Their system kicked me out while I was deliberating on how to fill the application in [see 1st post] so, once I feel sure, I'll try again later today
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 11:21AM
    I was declined this one, got the dreaded "you have not met our criteria" i tried to switch a 2 week old donor tesco account and as it wasn't my main account ie:wages paid into etc and questions were along the lines of how will i fund the account and with how much, but i had 10 hard searches that mth and opened and closed 8 accounts, new credit cards and current account switches etc so maybe it had something to do with that.

I have gone cold turkey for 6mths, i am addicted to getting the next deal/offer even though i don't need it, i want it, my score has dipped 200pts because of all the activity, i know it doesn't mean anything but it is a guide to how i am viewed.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I wouldn't be too upset about it First Direct and HSBC are known for having very strict criteria that does not mean to say you are in any way less worthy it is just that these two banks seem to have unfathomable but strict criteria for accepting new customers
  • 18cc
    You do not say which credit agency the searches were done on but 200 seems very low to me and would as far as I know be unconnected with searches it sounds like default payments to me to get that low
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    18cc wrote: »
    You do not say which credit agency the searches were done on but 200 seems very low to me and would as far as I know be unconnected with searches it sounds like default payments to me to get that low

Experian, i was on 993 now down to 708, i have no defaults, no debt, iv'e payed cash for everything in the last few years, i pay off credit cards in full max £400 on each per mth, i only have cards in order to have a record of repayments, i think mine is a case of too little credit/record of repayments, i have recently moved some utilities to my account as they were all in my wifes name and she has little in the way of earnings but was able to open any accounts she wanted.
  • 18cc
    Sorry I misread your post I thought you meant your score was down to 200 not by 200!
  • pmatt_2
    pmatt_2 Posts: 54 Forumite
    I just applied for a First Direct account. At the end of the process I got a screen saying they'd get back to me in five working days. Do they ever do instant acceptances? Or is this their way of saying "no thanks"?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    pmatt wrote: »
    I just applied for a First Direct account. At the end of the process I got a screen saying they'd get back to me in five working days. Do they ever do instant acceptances? Or is this their way of saying "no thanks"?

Yes, they do offer instant acceptances, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will reject you either.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    pmatt wrote: »

I was accepted after a couple of weeks of negotiations over the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure