Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• RenStar
    RenStar Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It looks to be the apostrophe which is causing weird numbers. It could be that you are using some odd text coding (e.g UTF-16 ?) in your posts.

My iPad must have been having a moment... it seems absolutely fine today!
  • michael1234
    michael1234 Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Difficult to leave them.

Sorry that I created a new thread below instead of adding to this one.

It really bothers me that we are told so often how easy it is to switch and yet cowboy companies like Avro let the industry down.

Was interested to see how many other people are having problems leaving this organisation. My only advice is to definitely use up their complaints procedure and then when they reply or don't after 8 weeks go to the energy ombudsman and if still no joy to small claims court.

I tend to review my supplier every year and end up switching most years.
    This time, I came to the end of 12 months with Avro Energy. I have always paid my bills via direct debit every month on time and according to the amounts they request.
    I started initiated a switch to another provider but Avro has just contacted me via email and said there is a debit on the account and they are not allowing the switch.

I replied and asked them to take the amount via direct debit to avoid me wasting both our time on the phone. The amount is a little more than a normal monthly amount.

I rang up and sure enough it starts with the usual annoying crap about high volume of calls blah blah and after 20 minutes I had to put the phone down with a view to possibly calling later.

This amount of debit that has "built up" can't be the final bill since I haven't yet provided the final meter readings. Can they stop or delay the switch due to this? I've asked via email that they call me back but can they insist I must wait god knows how long on their phone line just to may a manual payment?

Sorry just venting a bit.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RenStar wrote: »
    . . . They have thier 8 weeks and if they don!!!8217;t pull their finger out willl be referring the matter to the ombudsman. Anyone thinking of switching to Avro, please think twice.
    The eight weeks starts from when you first raised the issue with Avro. I would suggest you go through your emails to see when that was. If it was by phone then that could be more difficult to establish with the Ombudsman.

With any luck, Avro will get its figure out a bit more quickly now.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Consumerist
    Difficult to leave them.

My only advice is to definitely use up their complaints procedure and then when they reply or don't after 8 weeks go to the energy ombudsman and if still no joy to small claims court.

Sorry just venting a bit.
    It's good to get the heads-up on tricky suppliers. No need to apologise.

Time for you to follow your own advice. You must wait eight weeks from when you first raised the issue but you can escalate the complaint within Avro if they don't resolve the problem.

Good luck. :)
  • Untrustworthy Organisation with Poor Service Quality

Avro Energy purport to offer a simple tariff structure and reasonable prices. My experience of switching to them was simple enough, but the disappointment soon began when they notified me that they did not have the capacity to accept readings from smart metres, so right off the bat, using Avro Energy felt like a bit of a backward step from my previous supplier.

The real problems, however, started when my contract ended and they attempted to increase my prices. I appreciate this is common practice in the industry and I searched around for another supplier. Having identified a supplier that offered savings over Avro’s proposed tariff and also supported smart metres, I began the process of switching.

Within days I began receiving emails from my new supplier telling me that they had tried to take over my energy supply but that Avro had objected to the switch. I contacted them to find out why and they claimed I owed them money. I pointed out that I paid by direct debit and had never missed a payment. As such, I could not be behind on my bills. Their response was that I had used more energy in the last few months than was covered by my direct debit and this meant that I needed to settle my account before they would release my energy supply to my new supplier.

I thought this seemed strange as a more logical way to handle such a scenario would be to allow the switch and then invoice for the excess usage. I contacted citizens advice who confirmed that Avro had no lawful right to prevent the switch on the grounds of money owed and whilst they were entitled to bill me for excess usage, they could not use this as a reason to prevent the switch.

I spent days going back and forth to Avro pointing out that they had not billed me for the excess usage, and as such, I was not in a position to pay them as I did not know what they expected me to pay. I eventually received a sum, but not in the form of an invoice, just a figure noted in an e-mail and a phone number for me to call to make payment. Well, I called the number several times and never made it to less than twenty-somethingth in their call queue. All the while, day after day, Avro persisted in blocking my transfer of energy.

I contacted them by email to advise them that their own system was preventing me from settling my account and was given bank details to pay by bank transfer. I was told it would take a couple of days for them to confirm receipt of the payment. It took them ten days to do so. They eventually released my energy supply, or so I thought...

Having switched energy supplier for both my gas and electricity, I just discovered that the transfer of my electricity service did not take place. When I enquired with my new provider why this had not taken place, surprise surprise, Avro had objected. On what basis I have no idea as my account was settled and as far as I was aware the process was complete.

Avro have since failed to respond to emails for comment and I have had to initiate a complaint with the ombudsman service to try and resolve the matter.

In short, Avro Energy are at best incompetent and at worst, a manipulative organisation bordering on the criminal. Whilst their cheap pricing may look appealing, it is a false economy. I would strongly recommend looking elsewhere even if it costs slightly more.
  • Consumerist
    . . . The real problems, however, started when my contract ended . . .
    Hi Samwilmington and welcome to the forum.

This seems to be the emerging theme where Avro Energy is concerned.

Forewarned is forearmed Thanks for sharing.
  • CityOwl
    CityOwl Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 1:43PM
    We have been with Avro for 11 months with no issues at all. Our Simple & Go tariff was due to end in a months time after which we would have been moved to their Simple Energy variable tariff, I received an email from Avro to that affect at the end of March.

I ran my numbers through the Cheap Energy Club and only OneSelect could beat Avro by £4 a year. As Avro have been fine (I was once with Scottish Power and had to go to the ombudsman, who ruled in my favour), I did not want to switch for £4. Better the devil you know is my thinking ;)

As invited to in their email, I called to enquire about my options and was advised that there was a 20 minute wait and that I was number 23 in the queue. However, once my call was answered I was dealt with politely and efficiently, as the Renewals Team was very busy I was advised that they would call me back today.

Oh no, I thought, I am going to be waiting all afternoon and they are not going to call. How wrong could I be? I was called back within 20 minutes, advised that the Simple & Flow tariff was best for us (confirmed by Cheap Energy Club), I was asked when we wanted to move to the new tariff and my direct debit was reduced without me having to ask. All this was confirmed via email within 10 minutes.

Very happy and glad that I am staying with Avro, lets hope that they are just as competitive next year :D
  • Consumerist
    CityOwl wrote: »
    . . . Very happy and glad that I am staying with Avro, lets hope that they are just as competitive next year :D
    It does seem as though they provide a good service until you want to leave them.

This reminds me of my experience with Ovo. Great - until I wanted to leave. Then they seemed to take it as a personal insult that I wanted to switch to another supplier.

The next year will be my first experience of Avro Energy. It could be interesting at the end of the contract, however. :)
  • CityOwl
    CityOwl Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It does seem as though they provide a good service until you want to leave them.

This reminds me of my experience with Ovo. Great - until I wanted to leave. Then they seemed to take it as a personal insult that I wanted to switch to another supplier.

The next year will be my first experience of Avro Energy. It could be interesting at the end of the contract, however. :)

All to be revealed in 11 months time...I will report back :)
  • rpb
    rpb Posts: 129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in a similar boat to many earlier forum members, it seems. I've been trying to leave Avro and they are blocking my switch because, they say, my account is in debit. I pay by d/d so they can collect what they want but they aren't doing that. I tried to call them up today and the phone message sais *all* of their phones are down *all* day due to system maintenance, and suggested trying again tomorrow! Absolutely hopeless, and they are crooks for blocking my switch to a cheaper supplier.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback