MSE News: New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report

Options

Comments

• RedDwarf82
    RedDwarf82 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tomc22 wrote: »
    I'm also wondering if such minor mismatches lead to 1000s of people being refused loans or credit! It seems like this system which can dictate people's lives is totally fraught with incompetencies.
    I have been arguing about that for a long time. The "to avoid fraud", "for your security", etc. excuses to keep it all secret mean nobody is actually checking how well this is working.
    When you apply for credit the lender requests what's basically a credit report to the CRA. IMHO, ***by law*** every time you apply for credit the lender should do the job MSE Credit Club is doing right now and show you a credit report generated by them based on the information received from the CRA, so you could verify they are assessing you based on the right information.

It would be good for people applying for credit.
    It would be good for lenders.
    It would not be good for the CRAs.
  • debtfreehorizon
    Options
    I checked mine this week and all of my dad's credit accounts are showing in my report. He has the same name but obviously his DOB (which shows on the report) is 30+ years before mine.

I've raised this to Experian.

As others have asked - will this impact my ability to apply for credit?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Possibly if he has a lot outstanding.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    I've raised this to Experian.

Good to hear that you've raised this, the team at Experian should be able to take this forward for you.

BUt If you wouldn't mind sending us your report ID to creditclub@moneysavingexpert.com we'd like to ask Experian to take a look at this from a tech point of view too.

Thanks
  • debtfreehorizon
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Good to hear that you've raised this, the team at Experian should be able to take this forward for you.

BUt If you wouldn't mind sending us your report ID to creditclub@moneysavingexpert.com we'd like to ask Experian to take a look at this from a tech point of view too.

Thanks

Thanks Dan - will do. Is that just the Reference No at the top of the page?
  • CharlotteElizabeth
    Options
    I have just checked my Experian score with MSE and it is showing 731 whereas if I log into the Experian website it shows 691 - which one is correct?
  • MSE_Dan_L
    Options
    Thanks Dan - will do. Is that just the Reference No at the top of the page?

Yes that's the one.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    Options
    I have just checked my Experian score with MSE and it is showing 731 whereas if I log into the Experian website it shows 691 - which one is correct?

Hi CharlotteElizabeth

There are a few reasons why your score can differ between Credit Club and Experian's site.

The most common one is around timing. Credit Club only updates every 30 days, whereas Experian's will update daily.

However there are a few other reasons why you might see a difference. The most common being a matching issue (sometimes linked to your address), which might mean that there are accounts missing on one of the services. The easiest way to check this is by going through your credit report.

I hope this helps.
  • Elfinpie
    Elfinpie Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I could be being really dim here but how on earth do you add your maiden/previous married surnames? I've tried twice to register and I've only been given the option to enter my current (married) name. This then results in accounts being missed off the report. How can I correct this?

• tomc22
    Options
    Hi MSE,

Would you be able to change the address section to allow people to type in the fields rather than choose from a list? I'm sure this is the reason I keep failing the Experian identification process.

I've successfully applied for an Experian report by paying them £2 and I'm using the same details. However, the address you have for me doesn't quite match what they have and there is no way to edit yours - I have to pick it from a fixed list.

Thanks for offering this great service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport