High Quality Clothes

Hi everyone,

What's your thoughts are on spending a bit more to get some higher quality clothes? Had a bit of a meltdown this morning because I had nothing particularly presentable to wear.

I've decided I'm going to dedicate a little of my savings to finally buying some new clothes and I was wondering if there any good places to start? And what everyone would consider as essential items?

Thank you :j

Comments

• This is tricky because it depends what you like, what you mean by 'quality ' and how much you would like to spend.

It also depends what you want to buy, for example I will spend a lot of money on good boots, and not much on a white t-shirt. There just isn't any point, it's never long before I spill stuff down it!

I would suggest you look at capsule wardrobe ideas, you'll find a lot on Pinterest or YouTube.
    Then take some time to go and try loads of stuff on, including things you haven't considered before. Chat to the shop assistants and see what they suggest, or book in for a personal shopper at a big dept.store.

Have fun!
  • I would focus more on finding a shop/brand and size that fits your body shape/size. In my experience when it comes to clothes more expensive doesnt always mean better quality.

Also when looking at "high end" clothes and the assciated price tags, ask yourself if you would pay that much if it was an unbranded item. You should be able to see and feel the quality rather than assume it must be there due to the label.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Was the meltdown really caused by having nothing particularly presentable to wear or did you look in an over-flowing wardrobe and think 'I have no idea where to start'?
    I'm in the latter category quite often. ;)

I'm another one who doesn't think it's a given that brands = quality.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Marks & Spencer and John Lewis are where I would start. Debenhams sales can be a opportunity to pick up reasonable quality items at only slightly inflated prices - I've never paid full price in Debenhams, I couldn't afford to!

I think you need a number of tops and 'bottoms' that you can mix and match to increase the range of outfits you can create from a small number of base garments. You probably only need five new items of clothing, perhaps two 'bottoms' and three tops, providing they go with some of your existing clothes you will be able to get a whole week's wardrobe from these five items.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Timeless, fit and interchangable are key to me
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you need to sort out what you currently have? sell onthe excess.

Look at debenhams / John Lewis etc

What items do you think you need?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • It depends on what price segment we are discussing and what is quality for you.
    In the mass-market segment, you can find good positions in M&S, GAP and COS ( a little bit higher than mass-market.
    Of course, quality Gucci, for example, we won't even discuss, but also you can find something in East-Europian design market.
    And let me give you my last advice, no matter what quality of the clothes, if you handle it right. Wash it correctly. Wash silk by your hands. And don't forget to remove lint. But be careful with the blade, you can cut your stuff. Use lint removers.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The advice about finding a brand that suits and fits you is excellent. I know that I can order Boden and Joules clothing online and be confident that they will fit. I always buy in the sales so these clothes aren't as expensive as the catalogue would have you believe.

As for quality, do not buy acrylic, polyester or mixes of these man made fabrics. They don't wash or wear well, and are very uncomfortable imo. Anything made of cotton, silk, linen, cashmere, merino or bamboo fabric will be blissfully soft to wear; linen will be cool in summer and cashmere warm in winter.

Upmarket brands used to be reliable for quality (I have some Hobbs T-shirts and one by Liz Claiborne that are at least 20 years old, and still have life left in them) but I think that has changed now. I once visited a factory in Mauritius that was making clothes for TopShop, Dorothy Perkins and Ralph Lauren, all the same production line. That opened my eyes I can tell you.
  • Monika87
    Monika87 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I have not so many clothes, but all of them have high quality, and the price was also high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure