Compensation for time and inconvenience

The week before Christmas a pipe under the main road by our house burst and the first we knew of it was when we had 4ft of water in our cellar and utility and kitchen floor flooded. Yorkshire Water came out closed the road and repaired the break. They then sent their agents in to dry the house out and rip the flooring up. They have now agreed to replace the flooring and make good. The query is they say we can claim for inconvenience and time, we had inadequate unhygienic flooring for nearly a month in our kitchen so couldn't entertain. How much is a reasonable amount for time and time taken off work to let trademan in? I have no idea and can find nothing on the web. Thanks in advance

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You wont find anything on the web as there isn't anything.

You need to show losses (eg unpaid time off work) plus a sum for 'inconvenience'. And that is based on a length of string!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • so couldn't entertain
    That gotta be worth £illions in compo.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    You can claim £90 for every evening that you're unable to entertain because of unhygienic flooring. You get double if entertaining is an essential part of your job.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think I'd just be grateful that the flood was caused by a burst mains rather than within my boundary. Inconvenience - after what others have suffered in the last week I'd be grateful too that I only had to re-arrange my entertaining.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure