Thumb turn locks or not?

Options

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    So out of curiosity I just rang my insurer (PolicyExpert) about this and directly asked them whether our Yale Keyfree would still be considered a key-operated multi-point locking system. I was told that so long as my door has a multipoint locking system that locks in at least 3 places when I lift the handle and that the door can then be locked, whether by turning a key or using a thumb turn, that would be acceptable.

I also asked them about the Yale Conexis L1, which I'm thinking about getting for our backdoor:
    http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/productsdb/smart-locks/Conexis-L1-Smart-Door-Lock/

This doesn't even have a key-operated cylinder on the outside but again I was told so long as you can engage the hooks and lock it it is fine. In fact, to my mind the Conexis L1 is arguably more secure as it has no visible cylinder on the outside that can be attacked.
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    Just my two pence. When our home was constructed in 2012 the thumb turn was required by building regs or similar (definitely some regulation required it).

I prefer them in some ways but have had to add additional locks high up to prevent escapee children.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have thumb turn locks, but you have to push them in and turn them twice to open them so they can't be opened by someone putting a tool through the letter box. They are also anti-drill etc etc. When I had them fitted they were the most secure locks of that type available and conformed to the insurance industry standards.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in a flat and believe thumb turn locks are a fire safety requirement. I prefer them in a flat, much easier than leaving the key in the lock. I considered the lock below but this put me off,

The internal thumb turn knob on this item must be fully turned and 'popped out' before closing your door. This is a security feature to stop the thumb turn being manipulated by inserting something through your letterbox. If you do not 'pop out' the thumb turn then you will not be able to gain access back into your property as the key won't turn.

This might be ok if you have another door to get in but for me I'm more likely to be locked out by this than be burgled.

https://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/avocet-abs-high-security-euro-cylinder-anti-snap-lock-ts007-3-star-1488

Not all thumbturn locks have this but its worth checking if you only have access through one door. Its also unnecessary if you don't have a letterbox in the door.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spoke to my insurance company, and they are only interested in whether the outside can be locked with a key.
    The locks are PAS accredited, which apparently is the one for multipoint locks, whereas BS is for lever mortice locks.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had the doors installed now.

The front door has a thumb turn lock, far away from the letterbox so no chance of being able to open it from the outside. The door locks automatically when closed.

The back/side door has a lock which requires a key both inside and outside to open and lock. It remains open when closed unless you lock it. They look very nice.
  • qprdude
    Options
    Lot of rubbish about not conforming to BS. Lot of rubbish about insurance companies not accepting them. There are millions fitted in the UK so are we to assume they are not serviceable quality, not secure and un-insurable. No of course not. I'm off to buy one tomorrow and fit it. The reason? I stupidly rushed out of the front door yesterday and left a key in the inside barrel. DOH! Tried to get in with my spare key for half an hour before calling a locksmith to let me in. £45 !!!!
    Not gonna happen again. :embarasse
  • hannah57
    Options
    I agree with Chris, I have thumbturn locks in most doors at my house and I haven't had any issues, but as he mentioned mine are also drill-proof, anti snap, pick and bump!

I got mine from Ironmongery Experts - the TS007 cylinder lock.

All the best,
    H
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    So out of curiosity I just rang my insurer (PolicyExpert) about this and directly asked them whether our Yale Keyfree would still be considered a key-operated multi-point locking system. I was told that so long as my door has a multipoint locking system that locks in at least 3 places when I lift the handle and that the door can then be locked, whether by turning a key or using a thumb turn, that would be acceptable.

I also asked them about the Yale Conexis L1, which I'm thinking about getting for our backdoor:
    http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/productsdb/smart-locks/Conexis-L1-Smart-Door-Lock/

This doesn't even have a key-operated cylinder on the outside but again I was told so long as you can engage the hooks and lock it it is fine. In fact, to my mind the Conexis L1 is arguably more secure as it has no visible cylinder on the outside that can be attacked.

Thought I'd post a small update on this. I recently enquired with PolicyExpert again about this and whilst they were still happy to insure me with a Yale keyfree lock, they would not allow it to be listed as a "multi-point locking system" (even though it *is* a multi-point locking system). It had to be listed as "Other locking system". It added about £10 to my annual policy. So do make sure your insurer is happy with the precise system you have.
  • sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just one to watch if you have young kids, a thumb lock will potentially allow easy escape for them, where i too was going to go with thumb locks, but at least with a key you can remove them :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure