Great 'Sell Your Gold' Hunt

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2009 at 9:53AM
    When I tried to sell my later mother's engagement ring, I was very aware that the jeweller was trying to evaluate me not the ring.

Coins are another minefield.

I took the same small group of coins to the same dealer. The first time he insisted they were virtually valueless, the second time he offered me some reasonable money. (I could tell he did not recognise me from the previous visit about 3 months earlier). Perhaps the second time he had "had a good lunch" ?
    All trades have a mark up. In "essential" groceries it is only a few percent or even "a loss leader".
    In jewellery it could be 50%.

This link could be useful?

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/coingrades.html

Don't forget that the government gets in on the act with a "betting tax" called VAT, unless you deal in coins or the "below the threshold" market inhabited by "boot sale" types.
  • NICKYS32
    NICKYS32 Posts: 186 Forumite
    I sent off some of my broken Gold jewellery on Saturday to Hatton garden metals by recorded delivery. I had an email this morning confirming they had received it and the money was already in my bank account. I am very impressed with their service.
  • R10
    R10 Posts: 39 Forumite
    I have twice used Gold Traders UK (in Wiltshire with SN4 postcode) and was very dubious the first time but their service has proved to be excellent. I sent a few broken bits and a chain on Saturday morning and the money was in my account by this afternoon (Monday). They paid £7.21 per gram for 9ct.
  • Have just used Hatton Garden Metals, thanks for the link they gave us £269 for what we thought was a load of junk. Sent off the junk on Friday, by 2pm on Monday the money was in our bank, £200 quid off the credit card, a nice meal for me the wife and kids in pizza hut, and some food shopping its gone now lol.

But bloody hell what a fast service
  • Jimjams00_2
    Jimjams00_2 Posts: 219 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2009 at 2:09PM
    After checking those companies, that are advertised on TV, on their websites i was put off by their terms and conditions. A number of them had charges, e.g. if you were not happy with the price they offered then they could charge you for the cost of sending them back and the cost of testing the jewellery. A couple charged as much as £15 to send your jewellery back and as much as £20 for the cost of testing. As someone who was selling their gold to raise much needed cash this seemed a lot of money.

Anyway i continued looking on the net and i came across Kaug Refinery. They were pretty straight forward, there was no charges for anything except £6.50 to send back any jewellery that was not gold. I sent 12 items not weighing much, I thought that i would get between £70-£90. A couple of days later i got a phone call offering me £204. :eek: To say i was suprised was an understatement i accepted their offer and the next day i received a nice cheque.

I think anyone going to these sites should always check the terms and conditions to see if there are any hidden charges.
  • mollymalone
    mollymalone Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2009 at 9:33AM
    I have literally just used Hatton Garden Metals, (thankyou to whoever posted that link), after finding info on another thread. I collected all my bits of gold, broken bracelets, rings with stones missing, odd earings etc, weighed them at the post office, came to 88g! Sent via special delivery on Friday, arrived this morning and £650.00 went into my account by lunchtime! I am really impressed with these guys. They pay the going rate which at the moment is around £7.50 per gram for 9ct, it does change daily but at the moment only by a couple of pennies either way. I did have some concerns prior to posting so I sent an email and they came back to me pretty quick.
    I found the whole thing very quick and easy to do. Once I knew how much gold I had, I just printed of the form from the site, filled it in and took it to the post office.
    As for stones etc, you can choose to have these returned to you, but you will have to pay postage, around £6.50 I think, so it really depends on wether you think the stones are worth paying to get back.
    Needless to say I am very impressed by this company and would certainly use again.
    I hope this is useful/helpful information.

Also used them excellent service, I had 30g of gold (odd earrings broken chains etc) which i had previously sent to Webuyoldgold/jewellerydoctor, they offered a pathetic £120:mad: i questioned this and they came back with another offer of £180 which i declined and asked for my jewellery back. I then sent it to hatton garden Metals who paid me £230 within 12 hours of receipt.
    Many thanks for the original post.
    ( Ps i used Jewellery doctor as it said it was recommended by MSE but i think this must have been some time ago???)
    Hope this helps other moneysavers to get a bit more for their gold. Bit of a difference between £4 per gram and £7.48 per gram:T
    Mollymalone
    :mad: Abbey charges-£4979 case stayed 07/08:mad:
    Abbey £800 refunded for hardship:beer::j
    MEAF from Bristol & West -£75 reclaimed 20/07:j
    Nat West Charges-£1169 1st letter sent 19/07
    Barclaycard charges- £163.20:j
  • Has anyone used cash4mygold.co.uk, they are quoting slightly more than Hatton Garden Matels so wondered if they really are better or when they get your gold they offer you less. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm only selling bits of broken stuff and it is about 26 grams in total.
  • Keoking
    Keoking Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just had an e-mail from Hatton Garden Metals to say they have credited my bank a/c. Can't believe it was so fast! Sent some old jewellery yesterday, amongst which there were a couple of pieces which I thought may not be gold. I reckoned there was 44g, according to kitchen scales! Would have been happy to be credited with 30g-worth but they said there was 43.8g and gave me the corresponding amount, £7.49/g = £328.06. Result!!!:D:D
  • plimsoll
    plimsoll Posts: 153 Forumite
    I used Hatton Garden too after seeing recommendation on this thread, sent off my wedding ring as no longer need and got £29.96 (it was 4g) which since it only cost £40 in the first place I'm really pleased with!!
  • I too am thinking of selling some bits and pieces of gold.

I have 45g of 9ct and about 50g of 18ct.

I found the site

https://www.bestpriceforgold.co.uk through thisismoney.co.uk

The price seems very good. I would like to know if anyone has used this company and what they thought of the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure