The Great "Single MoneySaving" Hunt

Comments

• cwp500
    cwp500 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post
    Make wash loads as big as possible. wash all towels, tea towels, bath robes, face cloths together with inside out jeans to save time and money.

If you are super rich, dont load the dish washer until its able to take a full load, a few greasy dishes hanging around inside the machine till its full is no hardship.
    :o Keep trying.........................what else is there to do? :o
  • cwp500
    First Post
    If you are hard up, please dont be embarrassed about accepting decent cast off clothes from friends or relatives. It is an act of generosity usually and can really save money.

Walk as much as possible to save money.

Dont ever iron anything thats not going to be seen! dont iron pillowcases,sheets,towels,tea towels, facecloths, any undies of any sort, socks, stockings.

If you pat the creases out of jeans, cords and similar materials, and hang them over a radiator dryer rail, you never need to use an iron.

This is serious, when you get used to the idea of abandoning an iron for invisible items and jeans, you save time and money too.
  • cwp500
    First Post
    We singletons need to stick together.

Please use this thread to feedback any ideas,deals, suggestions etc.

Couples are welcome too!!!
  • Nessa56
    Nessa56 Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Can you freeze fresh veg or do you have to cook it first??

One Tip

Start making a list of things you need about a week before you place the order and stick to it.

Join pigsback and order your monthly shop from Tesco through that site to be delivered to you and you will get money back on every pound you spend, I can't remember how much now but I know it is well worth the delivery charge and also puts a stop to the impulse buys as you are walking around the aisles.

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T
  • cwp500
    First Post
    Thanks Martin.

This is long overdue and lets hope that everyone helps out here.

Without being too boring, sometimes singles seem to be discriminated against by companies who have marketing directed towards the highest density of consumer; families.

Please contribute to this thread. One of the realities of being a singleton on a very tight budget is not being able to get around to actually FIND the bargains.

Vocal minority time please.
  • If you don't have children living with you, housesharing is a brilliant way to save an absolute packet on housing costs, bills and food. And the benefits aren't just financial - it's brilliant having someone to chat to in the evenings and maybe share the cooking, yet still having your own private space within the house. Sites like moveflat.com have adverts from all sorts of people looking for housemates - it's not just party-loving twentysomethings.
  • cwp500
    First Post
    Nessa56 wrote: »
    Can you freeze fresh veg or do you have to cook it first??
    v
    x

Cut it fairly small or thin and plunge ( the veg, I mean, not you!) into boiling water for 60 seconds.

Take it out and then plunge into cold or iced water to "blanch" the veg. Let it go cold and then freeze it. Then cook and use as normal.

This helps to seal the goodness, maintain the colour and its ten times better than any of the frozen stuff you buy.

Soft Cooked veg doesnt really freeze as well because the water cells burst and it turns more mushy than the blanching method.
  • If a single householder, get a WATER METER fitted.
    Saved me 50% + on bills and was fitted for free.

:beer:
    Twirlez
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    this is to add to cwp500, I once read you shouldn't iron jeans, my mum didn't believe me, but stopped ironing mine, then stopped ironing them all, no one can tell, it's a huge waste of time
  • cwp500
    First Post
    thanks to eco, lets ban ironing jeans across the country!

If you do have some serious creases because they havent been patted and dried properly, the best way is to iron them inside out and avoid the dreaded shiny pants look.

cheers to everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family