Dental Implants

Hi

After several years of wearing false teeth i am thinking about getting 2 dental implants as i,ve had several sets of false teeth but hate wearing them as they are always loose and hurt my gums. Its also affected my confidence as i can,t speak as well with them in.

I,m on benefits as i look after my young son and don,t have any dental insurance.

It says you can only get them paid for on the NHS if there is a "medical need" so have been looking at prices to go private.

I,ve heard of a people going abroad (Eastern Europe) as its cheaper but don,t know where to start with that.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Be aware that with implants you need very good dental hygiene. Mine is not too bad, but I’ve had hints that when my milk tooth falls out, a dental implant would not be the best choice.
  • I,ve booked in for a consultation at a private clinic in my area where they will do a scan as well.

Feel a bit cheeky as i have no intention of having anything done there due to the prices but want to check that its actually possible first

Paul
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Don't feel cheeky. You will be paying for the scan, it's not free.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    It's as easy , or easier , to lose an implant as your own teeth. The failure rates for implants increase if you smoke , or have diabetes. So get your oral health excellent first, stop smoking , if you do, and if you have diabetes get that under excellent control.

Having implants is quite a long and complicated process, normally requiring quite a few visits. Things can go wrong from the trivial, ie a temporary covering coming off, to the more complex like infections. You want to be close to the implantologist so you can get things sorted quickly. Going abroad for complex treatment is never a good idea.

Implants need maintainance and parts will need replacing . The NHS will not provide this , so make sure you budget for after care and maintainance in the years ahead.

In this country you will expect to pay around £2000 per implant , that is assuming you don't need bone grafts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure