Redundancy & Maternity Allowance

whunt18885
whunt18885 Posts: 48 Forumite
edited 11 April 2019 at 2:20PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hopefully someone can help - Not sure if this is the correct section.

I am seeking some advice for my wife who's entire department is under 'review' on top of that she is 2 months pregnant, As you can imagine she is pretty stressed so I am trying to help the best way I can.

So basically she has worked for Boots head office for 4.5 years, 40 out of 108 jobs in her department are under the gun, She has applied internally for at least 12 jobs but everything is a bust, Its not even due to her CV or interview prowess etc as the initial application phase when applying internally looks your current role and recent review - For the record she has only take 3 days off sick in 4.5 years and her last performance review was grade 3 (grade 1-4 with 1 being worst and 4 best).

Boots are offering 2 weeks per year of served plus 1 month so if she was made redundant she would get basically 3 months pay.

She is going to continue applying internally and hopefully she will not be one of the 40 but still rubbish situation to be in.

On to my questions?

* My understanding is that even if she was made redundant on the redundancy day (Jun 10th) because she has worked FT for them for the last 4.5 years earning £24k a year she would be eligible for 39 weeks of government Maternity Allowance (Not SMP) at £148 a week? Is this the case, There is a £27 a week allowance but that looks like its for people who have not worked prior to losing their job?

* During the redundancy process she will be interviewed, Should she mention her pregnancy in that interview or maybe mention it now or stay quiet ? Does being pregnant give you a better chance of missing the cut so to speak ?

* Are there any legal steps regarding re-employment that the company has to make, I.e if she is made redundant do they have to offer help to finding a new job - Note this is Boots so a huge company.

* She has avoided applying externally as she would not serve enough time to qualify for SMP and I suspect any new employer would not take kindly to taking someone on only for them to leave for 9-12 months maternity 5 months after starting work - Obviously they can't fire her with 'pregnancy' as a reason but if she was in a standard 6 month trial period they could end her contract.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This article makes the suggestion that pregnant workers have more protection from redundancy:

https://www.employmentsolicitor.com/pregnant-employee-redundant/

If you think it will help, it could be better to declare the pregnancy as early as possible.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As I understnad it, becasue she is pregnant,(or if she were on maternity leave) the employer is required to offer her a suitiable alternative role, if one exisits, rather than her having to apply and compete for it with other applicants.
    So if there are some internal posts available, they ought to consider whether any ofthose are suitable for her, if she is one of the ppeople selected for redundancy.

they are also not allowed to use any prgnancy related reason to selct her for redundancy.

Has she advised them she is pregnant? If not, the sooner she does so, the better.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure