Virginmedia TV contract

I'm have virgin media TV,phone and broadband and I'm on a promotional discount. I get full house TV 200mb broadband and house phone all for £35 a month and contract ends Nov 2019

However I'm not using the TV/phone much and want to know if it's possible for me to ask them to remove the TV and phone to bring my monthly bill down even lower

Possible or not?

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It's possible, but don't hold your breath. Their packages are often priced to make it cheaper to have a phone line than not. Assuming your on their cabled service, you can opt out of the phone line but it may not be cheaper. You might find that you are locked in until November anyway, or even if you renegotiate, you go into a new 12 month contract. To be fair, £35 a month is pretty good for the 200mb BB. I pay that for phone, and 100mb BB with anytime calls. You might be better waiting until November, and renegotiating without TV to get another 12 month deal.
    If you get BB via your phone line - you can't not have the phone line with your BB.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2019 at 12:58PM
    If you get BB via your phone line - you can't not have the phone line with your BB.

VM stopped their BB over the OR phone line (Offnet service) some two years ago or more now.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its going to depend upon your exact contract.
    If you are in contract then VM have no reason to cut any deal until it ends .
    That price by the way is cheaper than VM quoted me yesterday as a potential new customer sign up and only 100meg.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    However I'm not using the TV/phone much and want to know if it's possible for me to ask them to remove the TV and phone to bring my monthly bill down even lower
    Removing the TV and phone will mean you are no longer taking a package of services and the resulting loss of package discounts can only result in you paying more not less I'm afraid.

£35 a month for all three services (200mb BB) is spectacularly cheap already, by the way.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,394 Forumite
    Mr G, didn't know that, thanks for the info. OP, I've just renegotiated with VM and the best they could offer me was Mix TV, 200mb BB, phone and anytime calls for £56 a month with some free Sky cinema thrown in. Had to take it as I need their BB speed. Yours is looking a better deal than I thought before.
  • emy1
    emy1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Good luck even getting to talk with anyone if you are not planning to upgrade or purchase! I have been trying to get in touch with them to unsubscribe my bundle (like yours) and twice I have had to hold on for more than 5 minutes. If you try online, it's even worse; pages are'broken', and chances are that you are asked to call....you can't 'chat' online about downgrades or switching providers! My experience was the agents are all 'crazy busy' so please call! I then tried to chat with an agent to purchase....I got a response immediately .....definitely not 'crazy busy' when they hope to make money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    emy1 wrote: »
    Good luck even getting to talk with anyone if you are not planning to upgrade or purchase! I have been trying to get in touch with them to unsubscribe my bundle (like yours) and twice I have had to hold on for more than 5 minutes. If you try online, it's even worse; pages are'broken', and chances are that you are asked to call....you can't 'chat' online about downgrades or switching providers! My experience was the agents are all 'crazy busy' so please call! I then tried to chat with an agent to purchase....I got a response immediately .....definitely not 'crazy busy' when they hope to make money.

You had to hold on for more than 5 minutes??? Twice??? That's truly shocking!!!

First world problems...
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    just leave things as it is until contract ends. You aren't going to save much.

Changing things will restart a 12 month contract on a very poor deal.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    As others have noted, dropping phone & TV will result in it costing you considerably more. (Assuming basic TV). At a recent annual review, taking out The services I didn’t use meant my monthly fee went UP by £14.50 - it made sense to run with the existing package and continue not to use it!

It defies logic, but there you go.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport