Claiming benefits after 2 years of non payment of ni

Hello , I wonder if anyone can help me with my question please.

I have been self employed for the last ten years or so , paying my taxes and ni contributions.

I ceased trading in 2009 , due to the economic climate taking its toll, since ceasing self employment however, I have had a couple of employed positions that did not last more than a few months and paid tax and ni through the employer.

The inbetween periods of non employment , I never personally earned anything and my partner who works full time supported me and my family.

These periods of non employment , I was not aware I still had to pay ni contributions, I naturally assumed as I was not earning anything I did not need to pay anything.

Recently I gave in and tried to claim unemployment benefits , I have been told however , as I did not pay ni during the periods of non employment , I was not entitled to anything.

I am now faced with no work and no benefits , I am an english born citizen who have paid into the system for the last twenty odd years , can I do anything to fight/ appeal against this, so i Might be able to contribute something towards my family.

Can anyone offer any assistance :)

Si

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    As you haven't paid NI contributions then you won't get JSA contribution based and as your partner works you can't get income based either.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Many Thanks :)

does this mean however that I cannot claim a penny for myself from anyone ?

Also If I were in a financial position to pay any outstanding ni contributions , woukd I then be able to claim ?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Skippysi wrote: »
    Many Thanks :)

does this mean however that I cannot claim a penny for myself from anyone ?

Also If I were in a financial position to pay any outstanding ni contributions , woukd I then be able to claim ?

Even if you could pay them it would not make any difference to your entitlement to JSA.

Depending on family situation you could be entitled to tax credits or council tax benefit.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Your partner needs to check https://www.turn2us.org.uk to find out if s/he can claim tax credits, CT benefits of housing support.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Thank you for your e-mail

We would initially refer you to our website www.adviceguide.org.uk and the informastion available on this regarding your possible entitlemnets to benefit whilst not working

If you have been refused Jobseeker's Allowance and you think you should get it, or if you think the amount you have been awarded is wrong, you can ask the Jobcentre Plus office to reconsider the decision, or you can appeal. You should do this within one month of the decision.
    If you unhappy with the service you have received, you can complain. You can do this whether or not you are also challenging a Jobseeker's Allowance decision.

In this situation there may be other entitlements that as a family you may be able to claim to assist you financially. You do not mention the total family income and whether your partner is working and what benefits they may or may not receive. If you are able it may be advisable for you to contact your local CAB and request a full benefit check

Kind regards
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure