How much should I take on holiday?

Comments

• sounds lovely, hope you have a nice time.

one thing, this year i was confused over whether to take all euros, part euros/part travellers cheques or debit card etc etc. when we went to spain, we eventually took 1/2 euros and 1/2 travellers cheques but my uncle (who lives in spain) suggested next time take a small amount of euros and the rest sterling as exchange rate better when you are there. why not take your £500 as planned or a bit more - mix of euros and sterling, and any more than that take your debit card - so you can at least try and stick to a budget.

only a suggestion, i was in a right quandry as a lot of people say travellers cheques are outdated. anyone else any suggestions.
    LBM Aug 08. £35,000:eek: Snowball DFW 05/2014
    A payment a day (from 7th Aug). Vertbaudet £64.38 14/8 paid off in full BAL ZERO:j
    Next debt to tackle - M&S CC - £553.62 20/8 pd £13.29 Now £540.33
  • sarahc44
    sarahc44 Posts: 93 Forumite
    I am taking 1000 but are having 4 extra days and also we are travelling a lot further into France than you - we are heading just south of La Rochelle. So my petrol and tolls alone there and back are around 300 euros x x x
  • milliemonster
    milliemonster Posts: 3,708 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    my petrol budget is completely separate fortunately so the £500 is just to feed us, kids will have their own spending money for treats etc, Oliveoyl, I agree with you completely, ask me what I got for xmas and birthdays when I was a kid and I couldn't tell you, but I do remember all the times I spent with my parents just having fun!!
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • We're with Nationwide who don't charge for taking money out - so I'm off to Holland on Saturday and taking around 20 Euros but using the cash machines there just like I would in the UK. It has worked well for the last 10 years or so. Definitely don't get travellers cheques.
  • It 'can' be done, and you'll have a wonderful time!
    One tip is buy ice lollies from the supermarket and keep them in the freezer. This will save a fortune as they usually charge 2 euros on these camp sites.
    If you buy a box of 20 for 5 euros, you can be doling them out to your 2, plus the numerous friends they'll make.
    Let your 9 yr old do a diary, and let them be in charge of their own daily spends, encourage him/her to include what they spent their money on.

DH and I had a caravan when ours were tiny - they're now 18, 20 and 23, and those holidays were the best we ever had.

Have a great time.

Y-L
  • Hi last time i went on a keycamp holiday they wouldnt exchange travellers cheques on site. we had a pre paid card for the shops on site which you topped up at reception for the shops etc so in the restaurants and the supermarkets you couldn't pay cash or debit card. Not sure if its the same on all sites or just the one we went to. if your kids have some of their own spends you should be fine, just think how much would it cost for 10 days shopping here and then take that off of your £500.
    War does not decide who is right, It decides who is left.
  • pkwales
    pkwales Posts: 7 Forumite
    Sarah 44,
    I drove to the south of spain last year and never paid a toll , there is always an alternative. I am doing the same again this autumn.
    ps. I have just bought a sat nav does anybody know if I can avoid toll roads and still use it.

quote=sarahc44;13272793]I am taking 1000 but are having 4 extra days and also we are travelling a lot further into France than you - we are heading just south of La Rochelle. So my petrol and tolls alone there and back are around 300 euros x x x[/quote]
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pkwales wrote: »
    Sarah 44,
    I drove to the south of spain last year and never paid a toll , there is always an alternative. I am doing the same again this autumn.
    ps. I have just bought a sat nav does anybody know if I can avoid toll roads and still use it.

It can be done, but with children I would take the nice fast motorways and pay the EUR30 or so ;)
  • sarahc44
    sarahc44 Posts: 93 Forumite
    I would personally drive the longer route but there is 3 cars going and am out voted on that one! I prefer to go in the convoy so will pay the tolls.
    Part of the fun of our hols every year is the other 8 people we go with - so excited x x x
  • RoxieW
    RoxieW Posts: 3,016 Forumite
    we just got back from a eurocamp holiday in spain. it was difficult as we were kind of 'stuck' onsite - it was 40mins to the nearest town - and the food was dire and expensive on site. the supermarket was also expensive.
    we spent £1100 for 9 days -including 1 waterpark trip, 1 theme park trip and 1 trip into barcelona. Its the little things that add up - floats for in the pool, mags (take plenty), ice creams, snacks etc . We ate out half of the nights and hardly drank. To be honest, it was far more expensive then the last time we went to spain as the euro is far stronger against the pound.
    I think you'll struggle with £500 unless you dont do any trips and cook every night - or find a reasonable restaurant. Unfortunately, there weren't any where we were.
    MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
    £10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
    Weekly.
    155/200
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure