Selling car privately Vs car dealers/main dealers

Options
noclaf
noclaf Posts: 892 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 22 April 2019 at 2:18PM in Motoring
My car recently flew through its MOT with no advisories. I've owned the car for nearly 10 years (it's a 15 yr old focus)..full service history every single invoice retained through my ownership including proof of purchase from Ford dealership). It's only the 2nd car I ever owned as I tend to hold onto my car's.
I am now looking to sell and switch to a more practical and newer car.
My car's bad points are scratches , a rusted small dent on bonnet and the aftermarket headunit no longer works though have the original ford hu.
I am not keen on the faff of selling privately but accept that I may receive much less if I go for a p/x at a dealers.
Just curious as to what other people have done and their experiences when selling privately? I have never sold a car privately as the last one also went via a p/X so no hassle incurred.
Taking into account the bad points on my car mentioned above, would I be better off just offloading to a dealer to avoid the hassle and time spent trying to sell privately?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I put it on the internet, people came round, someone bought it. Only hassle is having to explain the same things to multiple people and getting tyre kickers. If you can't be bothered with the hassle to put more money in your pocket then p/x or bang through the auctions although given your description it will probably sell well on your local Facebook groups.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless you are part exchanging it no dealer is going to touch a 15 year old focus. Dealers may not even offer anything on part exchange as they will likely send it to the scrap yard. Stick it on ebay with an honest description and it will find its true value.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where's that person who wanted to replace their Jazz? I think we've just found their next car...

Ah, here we go.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5993186
    noclaf, meet first78
    first78, meet noclaf.
  • noclaf
    noclaf Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Where's that person who wanted to replace their Jazz? I think we've just found their next car...

Ah, here we go.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5993186
    noclaf, meet first78
    first78, meet noclaf.

Alas....5 up in a 3 door focus may be pushing it a bit...hence why I'm looking to switch to 4/5 doors minimum!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    Why is 5 up in a 3 door car pushing it? The rear seats are the same size as the 4 door car.

You just get 2 larger front doors instead of 4 smaller ones.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    Until you try and put a child in a car seat, then you notice the difference ...
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was offered a small amount for part exchange for my old car, last two times I was buying a newer one (I never buy brand new).

What I did about it was told my wider family and workmates about the car, brutally honest about the state of it and what I was going to get in part-exchange and asked if anyone wanted it at that price. My workplace was pretty big - I think I used a noticeboard.

I've heard other people saying the part-exchange price is very small change for you, but it would be an absolute steal if someone could pay that for a car.

Saved myself the hassle of dealing with strangers and time-wasters but my deal was
    - I was totally upfront about everything I knew that was wrong with it
    - once they had it, I wouldn't take it back; they could spend as much or as little as they liked on it but it was theirs to dispose of.

In both cases they got a running car for X hundred pounds, but I know they ran it for several years and got good use out of it. Neither of us wasted money on middlemen.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^^^ Except that part exchange offered for an older car (from a dealer) is often an inflated price for said car as an inducement to close a sale with the "new" car price inflated to offset the generosity.

A private sale for a similar car would likely be cheaper, although the point about the known provenance of the vehicle is valid and may be worth paying for if someone is unsure about buying from a stranger. So this model works well for the seller but not necesarilly the buyer.

Your model more works if using WBAC prices as these are rock bottom.
    Bought my most recent car from a workmate at WBAC price; knew the car but just as importantly knew the guy.
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    Options
    Sold all my cars privately. For the work involved, it really isn't much considering you can get much more for it.

That being said, i've never sold a very old car. Cheapest was my first car for about £2k, whereas the others ranged from £7-£11k.

Closest to P/X was selling my new car that was on PCP to a dealer who had a buyer lined up. That was still a good few grand more than trade in prices...
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A dealer might offer money but at that age it’ll go atraight to auction, and you’ll get a bad price. As an example, VW offered £1,000 px against my VW Up with 130,000 miles, when paying £14,500 for a new Polo, list price £16,500. I said no and got £1800 from WBAC which was actually what I would have accepted privately. WBAC just send cars to auction. Surely at that age the Mars bar in the glove box is worth more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure