Unfair charge to return lost dog

Hello, any advice appreciated.
My crazy dog recently escaped the garden.
She was found by a member of the public who called the dog warden. They collected the dog and took her to the local charity run dogs home.
I had to pay £100 for the services of the council dog western. None of this money went to the home.can they charge this much?
It seems excessive for a simple collection and delivery job, it also seems unfair that the home, who incurred the most cost at looking after my dog, got nothing. After paying I didn’t have enough money to make a donation as intended.
Another borough uses the same home and only charge £43 for the return of pets, this seems a much fairer amount.
I don’t see how it cost the council £100 !?
Any advice?

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2019 at 9:17AM
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

Surely this was a fixed penalty fee for allowing your dog to stray?
    With pet ownership comes responsibility .
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 April 2019 at 9:30AM
    Dantw1981 wrote: »
    Hello, any advice appreciated.
    My crazy dog recently escaped the garden.
    She was found by a member of the public who called the dog warden. They collected the dog and took her to the local charity run dogs home.
    I had to pay £100 for the services of the council dog western. None of this money went to the home.can they charge this much?
    It seems excessive for a simple collection and delivery job, it also seems unfair that the home, who incurred the most cost at looking after my dog, got nothing. After paying I didn’t have enough money to make a donation as intended.
    Another borough uses the same home and only charge £43 for the return of pets, this seems a much fairer amount.
    I don’t see how it cost the council £100 !?
    Any advice?

What was the breakdown of the £100?

What council was it? "council dog western" does not make sense?

Was part or all paid a fixed penalty for allowing your dog to roam?

How do you know the council gets free use of the dogs home?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Council dog warden
  • So who do you think should pay for the Council dog warden?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Perhaps your council determined that setting the penalty/ charge at a higher level would concentrate the mind of neglectful dog owners and encourage them to have better control of their pets?

Your dog could have defecated in neighbour's gardens/ on the pavement, attacked a passed by or caused a road traffic accident - all because of your carelessness. Be thankful that others showed enough concern and ensured your dog was safely returned to you.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If you search your council website there should be details of the cost to reclaim your dog.

There could be a call out fee for the dog warden to collect the dog as well as a charge for kennelling until you collect it.

The kennels caring for the dog will have a contract with the council and be paid by the council.
  • If you feel that it is unfair that the charity did not receive any money for looking after your dog for you, then why not make a donation to the charity as thanks for their time and effort in looking after your pet.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Why not check what other councils charge? Haringey, for example, charge £70 to collect the dog plus £25 a day for kennelling.

The dog warden needs an office, plus a van, plus it is not just the time to collect the dogs. He spends time answering calls from owners of lost dogs and people who have spotted strays. Plus gear to deal with aggressive dogs, etc. £100ish does not Look obviously excessive to me, although I am sympathetic with the OP, as it's obviously been a lot for her to find.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    To be fair, your dog should not be able to escape your garden

You have to have your dog under control at all times and if your garden is not secure, you need to take steps to secure it and until that time, don't allow the dog in it alone - keep it on the lead

As previously posted, a dog running free can cause accidents. If it had ran into the road and caused an accident, it would be costing you a lot more then £100

As for your question can they charge this much? They can charge whatever they like. Here we have to pay for licensing, and if the dog strays and is picked up by the warden we can also expect to be fined £1000 as well as the kennelling charges
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Your dog, your responsibility, as with all the costs of ownership. Why shouldn't they charge £100 and even make a profit from it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure