Eeeeuw ....slugs have left the building..

Options
How to get rid of slug or snails they creep out in the night and leave their sluggy trail over my carpet..
Never actually seen them but it's an old stone house with a fireplace, thing they might be in the chimney?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Had problems with slugs in my kitchen. Never did work out how/where they were getting in. Improving the heating, plugging the gaps around the floorboards and (finally) fixing a damp wall seems to have cleared up the problem with slugs.

Slugs can get through just about any gap, and their presence would indicate damp - Light a fire and try to heat the room up a bit may help.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's surprising how much of a trail a single slug can leave. I had some once so sprinkled a few slug pellets under the sofa. Checked the next day, one dead slug, no more trails.

I never did work out where it came in. Quite possible it was attached to a shoe and was carried in to the house unnoticed.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem and just put this stuff {below} around skirting boards/doors ect and have not seen another one since. Could be worth a try??

https://www.richardjacksonsgarden.co.uk/product/slug-and-snail-control/
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it a specific room? Is that room surrounding an outside wall?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    naf123 wrote: »
    Is it a specific room? Is that room surrounding an outside wall?

It's my living room, there are two outside walls and It does have a little damp on one wall, that's got worse in the last year, low down in one small area but it's a very old house so I do expect a bit.
    It always well heated either with central heating or a fire.
    Weirdly, you can't see the trails on the floor, only on the rug I've just bought.
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    It's my living room, there are two outside walls and It does have a little damp on one wall, that's got worse in the last year, low down in one small area but it's a very old house so I do expect a bit.
    It always well heated either with central heating or a fire.
    Weirdly, you can't see the trails on the floor, only on the rug I've just bought.

One thing these slugs and snails cant cope with is salt. It literally bubbles them up.

So I suggest you put a healthy dose of table salt around the outside walls at the base - it should at least create a barrier and stop them coming in. Obviously when it rains, maybe have to put more salt down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure