Possible ID fraud

Hi - today I received PIN number from '118118Money'. As I have definitely not applied for a card I phoned them and they said an application had been made and an account set up.

They have blocked the card and contacted their fraud team and said they will write with more information. Should I contact ActionFraud? I have a locked mailbox but there have apparently been credit card thefts from there before - ie it is an apartment block with locked boxes on the inside and the post can be put in from the wall outside (and possibly fished out from there maybe). I've taken my dob off my Facebook account as I did receive emails from the them about the millions of people whose accounts have been compromised.

I must admit I have sometimes been remiss in putting statements in the communal bin without shredding (just tearing up) - again the bin store is lockable and shared by 12 flats.

I'm trying to make everything more secure as recommended by MSE as I used to have anti-virus on my pc and don't at the moment, so I could have been better but am surprised that a credit card company could approve an application with just my address and dob, and in any case my credit rating hasn't been brilliant. I can't see the application showing up as a hard search on MSE credit club, Noddle or Clearscore. Bit worrying though. I forgot to ask them how much the credit was approved for. Should I contact CIFAS to try to protect my credit files? Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2018 at 2:00PM
    You could have a protective CIFAS marker, although it may hamper your own future credit applications.

The main thing is to be tighter about your own security. Also check all three credit files more frequently to see if anything else turns up.

There's no need to contact Action Fraud as the company are already aware of the fraud against them.
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You could have a protective CIFAS marker, although it may hamper your own future credit applications.

The main thing is to be tighter about your own security. Also check all three credit files more frequently to see if anything else turns up.

There's no need to contact Action Fraud as the company are already aware of the fraud against them.
    Thanks ZX81. Hopefully it is the only one and I have stopped it in time. Unless someone has forwarded my mail which I am trying to check - I don't see how they could really have got hold of the card anyway. Unless it's someone fairly local. I will be really careful with the waste paper in future- shredding all confidential stuff.

I check my credit files regularly as I am in the process of rebuilding my score, and it continues to improve as I repay debts so the last thing I need is a security breach and loads of applications..I will sort out my antivirus too.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds more like "ID fraud" than "possible ID fraud" to me. At least you caught it early before a huge bill was racked up under your name. I would make a subject access request to find out what information was submitted to the company (ie. just what the potential fraudster knows about you). You should also be able to request a copy of the contract/agreement that was taken out. I would also get a protective CIFAS registration just in case - although keep in mind that this will slow down your future credit applications as they will have to manually approve anything. Keep an eye on your credit reports, as it can take up to 6-8 weeks for things to be updated.

I would definitely take this as an opportunity to tighten up how you deal with your personal information so it can't happen again - figure out a way to dispose of personal information carefully (I shred mine at work, or you could burn it if you want to be a bit hardcore). Definitely get antivirus for all your PCs and devices, and I would consider changing passwords to important online services (email, facebook, banks, etc) just on the odd chance your details were obtained through a compromised account or something.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As well as changing passwords, consider also removing information such as phone number, address and anything else personal which the site you have registered with does not need.

For example, with Facebook all they need is name and email for an account and if you want to give them a location, use a general area such as your county for example.

Also consider setting up a secondary email for such things as well.
  • AliceBanned
    Yes I agreed it is identity theft rather than 'possible'. Never had this happen to me before but I am very on the ball with my credit accounts and applications so I knew something was seriously wrong as soon as I received this letter.

Luckily I was working from home and picked up my post rather than it sitting in the letter box all day until I got home.

Really helpful information from you both on how to tighten up security, will do this and many thanks. Great if I can get information on what was submitted in the application and it may help me tracked down how this information has got out.

I am less keen on the CIFAS as I will be applying for a mortgage in a few months' time - then again if any other applications have gone through it would help if I am more protected in this way.
  • AliceBanned
    I have now received letter confirming DD set up to the credit card.

It has my name and a Lloyds account that isn't mine. I'm phoning them now to find out more. They told me it was account in Devon which is not where I live.

I think I'll let the police know as well.
  • … I think I'll let the police know as well.
    If you are planning to inform the police, then I suggest you do that via ActionFraud as they are a part of the police service... :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • AliceBanned
    If you are planning to inform the police, then I suggest you do that via ActionFraud as they are a part of the police service... :)

Thanks. I've done this now. It says on their website that ID theft is not actually a crime in itself!!

Just taking the money is..

very concerned now about my credit file but hoping no others have slipped through. Surely most credit card companies would do more checks and in any case I'm only eligible for a poor credit scorer ones probably.

I haven't been hot enough on this because I've only had debts and nothing to steal but as my credit file improves and I have savings and something to steal ie eligibility for credit I realise I need to start being more on the ball..
  • If it were me, I would seriously consider submitting a request for a CIFAS protective registration too...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • AliceBanned
    If it were me, I would seriously consider submitting a request for a CIFAS protective registration too...
    Thanks I might do this. Will see whether anything else comes through in the next day or two as I don't want it to impact on my mortgage application. Though could be better than loads of actual fraudulent applications..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure