Car Insurance For My Parents

I think I just made a major mistake renewing my parent's car insurance

My parents used to have their own cars but my mum sold her's years ago and been driving my Dad's car for 5+ years

but now my Dad is elderly (80 years old) he barely driven in over a year but the car and insurance policy is in his name - and the renewal came and it was 51% higher then last year. I called the insurance company to see if they could improve on the price but the best they offered was only £20 lower (to around £440)

The policy has all four of us as named drivers (my parents, myself and my sister and we all live in the same address - my sister and I have our own cars) . And my dad has over 9+ years no claims. but we assumed the policy went so much higher in price as he's now over 80, and he doesn't drive much now so he said to remove his name from the policy. Where as my mum does the shopping and uses the car.

He said to remove his name from the policy since he hardly drives no more so I got a new policy with a different insurance company but did the policy in my mother's name stating the car belongs to her spouse, but it just occurred to me that maybe those years of no claims bonuses don't apply as it was my father's policy and not hers.
Although she had well over 9+ year no claims on her old car.

The old policy is due to end on the 18th and new one begin. So I only have 1 day to sort things out.

Any advice?

Should I requote for the policy with my father as main driver as it's been for years?

Whats happens when someone dies and they've been sharing a car with their spouse for the last 10+ years. In all likelihood my father will die before my mother so what do you do with the car and policy? And what should we do in advance?

How does one start moving everything into my mother's name?
And is there a way to show how many years of no claim bonus my mother had before she sold her car 5+ years ago?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You are correct in thinking that as it stands your Mother has nil NCD to use on this policy

You could contact the insurer and explain the situation and see if they will transfer the NCD across as Father can no longer drive (is that the case??)

Otherwise then cancel and start again with Father as policyholder

Insurers will often transfer NCD to a partner following the death of the original partner being the original policyholder (or following the original partner no longer being able to drive)

NCD usually only "lasts" for 2 years - thus your Mother's "old" NCD is no use
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    Otherwise then cancel and start again with Father as policyholder

Making sure it's clear the mother is the main driver otherwise this could be classed as fronting, no?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The father is already the policyholder - that's the problem.

Speak to the insurance company and either transfer or arrange a new policy in the mother's name. They are usually very sympathetic to trandfers in some form between spouses in this situation.
    In any case, she would probably be given a large discount for having been a claim-free named driver.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The existing insurance company may well be happy for the policy to be in your father's name but take him off as a driver.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The father is already the policyholder - that's the problem....
    There is no problem with the current policy

It's the new policy that has a problem!

..I got a new policy with a different insurance company but did the policy in my mother's name....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure