PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Just an ordinary day in the life of humble Scottish hill folk......
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Mar's got hot and cold running Rolands!!!

If this were the Preppers thread then some bright spark would suggest peeling one and pickling it.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Roland Ragout? Ratatouille? Rattie Pies? oh the list is endless!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mardatha, you could capture it, train it and have it head to the shops with a fiver and a note tied to it saying "Jelly Babies please", which he would then return with, homing pigeon style.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Softstuff wrote: »
    ...Reminds me a little of my mothers Godfather. He had a cracking sense of humour. When he was admitted into hospital, one of the nurses asked him what he had done for a living, he replied, completely deadpan, "cat burglar". She brought it up when we visited, half convinced he was serious. He was actually a dental technician. We think....

Maybe he was an international man of mystery, or 007?!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    One of my brothers had a pet rat - he brought it (hiddden sleeping inside his shirt) to a family meal and I have photos of us all with said rat peering out at the camera :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2018 at 10:34AM
    Oh my word. Such fun. I must, MUST stop howling at other people's misfortune! :D

Old man next door (lovely chap, but a bit much) knocks on my back door a few weeks back. Now I already know he doesn't like birds as he told us not to put feeders up in the front garden (when my shrubs, sorry if! my shrubs grow I am putting a feeder up so he can twiddle) so I was waiting for something to be said about my new feeder in the yard. "Fuddle I saw a rat in your yard at 6am this morning" Hmm I thought as it was pitch black out there at that time in the morning. I said that it would be the rabbit nuggets and pointed to the feed scattered over the floor. Panicked he said "no it's your new feeder" But Mr nice-man-but-a-bit-much I cannat fathom why the rat would ignore the rabbit pellets on the ground in favour of crawling up the shed for the seeds in the feeder. Queue stutter, panic and a whole story about how his daughter in law had the wrath of the council because she fed the birds in her garden and risked being sued for Weil's disease. "Horrid disease" I says. "But until the allotmenteers tidy up their plots over there (he has one, scruffy too ;) ) and there's chickens , I think my bird feeder is the least of our streets problems. Thanks for telling me though." Says I. "I'll definitely make sure the girls clean up their rabbit food spills."

Now 2 things. If we had a rat, there would be no rabbit pellets on the ground ;) and if we did have a rat the explanation of the rabbit food should have been enough. To dismiss that explanation in favour of a two day old bird feeder is a bit suss. Me thinks that someone was trying to scare me into taking my feeder down and completely forgot I had a rabbit. ;) These folk see me as a nervy, polite wee lassie, they haven't worked out that I have a streak that says 'ah ah, I'm no fool so don't treat me as one. ;)

That's spelt flour in the shopping basket ready for Sun delivery. Lyn the nearest mill to me is in Northumberland and it will be cheaper buying in bulk from there but I'll wait to see how we get on with it first. I didn't even think about local mills so thank you!

That leads me to a Question? What is a Dutch oven and how can I make one if I haven't got one, which I haven't. I'm talking bread making here.

Lastly, DD and I walked to school with a rainbow which has set me up for the day. :) Wahoo I hear you cry, no winging from her today!:rotfl:
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Floss, I'm not sure he was 008, but I am pretty sure he was gay, long before it was acceptable to be and of course it was never mentioned. He's the one who encouraged me to fly the first time to meet my husband here in Australia, he found it a romantic adventure.

Fuddle, I'm smirking as I say, I thought a dutch oven is when you put someones head under the duvet and fart.... but I believe what you're after is a big clay pot to bake in. I think, though I may be corrected, that the reason for doing so is to maintain a good level of humidity for the loaf. If you wanted to do that the simple way is to put a small container of water at the bottom of the oven. Makes a better crust, I think.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • A dutch oven is a cast iron casserole dish with a cast iron lid. Look on E.Bay and you'll find them. You can get various sizes and some have 3 legs underneath for cooking on campfires, I have one with a flat bottom to use on my OzPig. They are various prices and you can get a pack with a lid lifter etc. see what you think.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Lyn, I have spent my life lusting after a flat bottom. To think that all I had to do was acquire a Dutch oven.

I am reeling after reading the thread thus far today. I am very, very late. No excuse, just feeling unready to face the day.

Mar, if you have a rat, hasten to stow your sweeties in your safe. Do not on any account leave the combination number where ratty can get hold of it. Sweeties are like .........er..........sweets, to the four legged fiends.

Before the day is over I'd better give you all something to think about.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

We are all cast in the same mould, but some of us are mouldier than others.

(One of our old family sayings.)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills