How much spare money do you have each month?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:32PM
    It depends how much you earn and what your other bills cost.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    It depends how much you earn and what your other bills cost.
    And what you call "spending on myself".

As grumbler said earlier, it's meaningless without knowing all your circumstances, & the circumstances of everyone you are comparing with.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,445
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    We budget for £200 personal spends for both DH and me. I tend to save for a few months then splurge. It has to cover clothes, hobbies, haircuts etc and personal entertainment. My DH is a fritterer although now he has retired less so.

All our money is accounted for in categories for gifts, car, house, holiday, entertainment, bills, personal spends, food and fuel and savings. None of it is spare.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    At this stage in our life we are mortgage & debt free so have a lot of free cash. Not so long ago we had virtually no spare cash. I now find it difficult to spend money.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    There is a website where you input all your details, situation, incomings and outgoings. Gross domestic disposable income as well as how much council tax you pay. It works out if you are in the richer decile or poorer decile according to your disposable income. Unfortunately I cannot find it again to give you the link. I thought it was quite telling as to how well off you really are.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,532
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Alternatively you could put money into savings at the start of the month or when you get paid. Then you know the savings are taken care of and you can spend what's left....
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Living at parents with thankfully very little in the way of monthly outgoings, net monthly income £1600, supplimented by around £500 average per month matched betting income, typically only spend £300 a month, mostly on work lunches and take aways! God I need a life...
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,272
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    None of the money is "spare" - it all has a job, and has to work hard!!!!

As for true "Disposable income", well that has been up to £2000 pm in the past, but is now about £100 pm now we're starting to wind-down, and draw-down on many years of hard saving.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,695
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well......if Jeremy Corbyn manages a miracle at the election, we're going to have less than we have now because, according to John Macdonald, we are "rich". We don't feel rich :(
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,642
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    £300 per month to spend on myself?! Sounds a lot to me!

We budget for less than £200 per month between two for 'personal' spend. I'm not sure how I'd spend £300 a month!

Depends on how you define 'on myself' of course, but OP I think you have plenty to spare - and should consider yourself fairly lucky. But, if you're not already doing this, you should perhaps be considering putting more into savings and pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure