Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463
I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 25 August 2015 at 2:36PM in Phones & TV
articlealert2_banner.gif
Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Thanks for your help,
MSE Nick

Comments

• Thank you sooo much MoneySavingExpert!!....I called Sky on Friday & told them I needed to cancel my sky fibre, broadband & phone package with them as, at around £100 a month, it was just too expensive....they didn't question me or try to placate me, but simply came back with package of savings that will knock a Whopping £360 a year off my bill!!!:j...the initial new deals are for either 6 or 10 months (depending on the part of the package affected), but, I simply need to call back & re-instate them!! Cheers :beer: Martin & team!!
    Oh, & with having applied for the E-On Winter Warmer fuel saving discount' I've managed to save £500 in a week!!:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    ..the initial new deals are for either 6 or 10 months (depending on the part of the package affected), but, I simply need to call back & re-instate them!!

Is that what they told you?

If you have accepted a new 12 months contract, then simply reinstating the deals after 6/10 months will not be easy as you have no bargaining power. You won't be able to threaten to cancel without paying early termination fees.

Do let us know in 6/10 months how you get on with that.
  • From personal experience most existing subscribers will probably find that they can achieve the best results by following the advice and guidance given in this long running thread
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/75-off-sky-tv-for-existing-customers-only-works-when-call-specific-number-3-weeks-1741671 (definitely well worth a read through)

At the moment it seems that if you come away from the negotiating table with an offer of anything less than 50% off your existing TV package for 12 months you must be doing something wrong.
  • I called Sky today as i have been paying them £28.75p/monthly and i told them im going to have to leave and i have been thinking about getting freeview as i cant afford to pay what i have been paying any longer due to my husband being made redundant. The woman i spoke to was very helpful and said she would go and have a look to see what she could do for me and the discounts that are available. When she came back she said i could keep all the same chanels i have now and they would knock the price down to £13.75p a month for the 1st 10 months but after that i would be back to paying the £28.75p for the last couple of months due to it being a 12 month contract or i could ditch some of my chanels and reduce it that way so i opted for the reduction of £13.75p a month for 10 months and then told her i would have to call back at the end of the 12 month contract because theres no way i can afford to carry on paying the previous price they were charging me and she said that was fine and shes sure that they would be able to give me another discount at the end of the contract. So today i have managed to save myself £150. Alot better than nothing i think.
  • I just contacted Sky, hoping to receive an offer after 5 years of being a loyal customer. I was polite and explained i could no longer afford the monthly payment. The gentleman i spoke to sarcastically asked me to confirm that i could not afford £46.40 a month, proceeded to offer me £2.50 of my bill, when i declined he had cancelled my broadband before i even had chance to blink.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    amy28lm wrote: »
    I just contacted Sky, hoping to receive an offer after 5 years of being a loyal customer. I was polite and explained i could no longer afford the monthly payment. The gentleman i spoke to sarcastically asked me to confirm that i could not afford £46.40 a month, proceeded to offer me £2.50 of my bill, when i declined he had cancelled my broadband before i even had chance to blink.

You called about tv, but he cancelled your broadband ?

I would complain about that, as if leaving with your phone and broadband you need to be able to let another provider take over and so keep your number.

There could also be cancellation and setup fees incurred, if another provider doesn't do the process for you.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As I get nearer to the end of my 12 month TV deal, Sky are getting increasingly desperate ......yet another email expiring 31st August, offering me 10% off for 10 months on a 12 month contract...since I have 2 more months of 50% off and this contract would be superceded if I took the "wonderful" 10% off, it actually means a "saving" of exactly nothing!!!:rotfl:
    ................but I would be tied in for an extra 10 months !!
  • Rootless_Tree
    Rootless_Tree Posts: 42
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 27 August 2015 at 12:27PM
    I'm well out of contract - it ran out about 10 months ago - for my Sky TV, fibre unlimited pro and phone line. Haven't been offered a thing - and I'm too scared that they'll actually cut me off to ring and cancel everything :(

It annoys me though that my friend and neighbour has just joined Sky and is getting the top TV package, multiroom, Fibre unlimited and the phone line for 50% less than I'm paying.

What would be the chances of me just going into live chat, nicely telling them the above (I've been a customer for 8 years) and getting anything worthwhile off them?

EDIT - I'll answer my own question as I just tried it. £20 off my overall bill per month is what was offered. From £87 to £67. No movement other than that.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    What would be the chances of me just going into live chat, nicely telling them the above (I've been a customer for 8 years) and getting anything worthwhile off them?

You'll get something but not as much as 50% off.
    EDIT - I'll answer my own question as I just tried it. £20 off my overall bill per month is what was offered. From £87 to £67. No movement other than that.

Why not cancel the TV part only? If it's switched off it's simple to turn back on with no problems. Then when you get an offer you can negotiate the BB and phone part too.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sky are getting increasingly desperate -yet ANOTHER email with another expiry date,imploring me to renew my contract for 12 months.....with 10% off for 10 months:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback