Etiquette when looking for a new job

snowqueen555
snowqueen555 Posts: 1,521
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 18 October 2018 at 7:49PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi all

I rolled the dice by leaving a permanent job (9 years) for a fixed term contract in a similar field but public sector. I am not liking the job and will be looking for something new after only two months.

There are other roles internally I could possibly go for, they are in different departments completely.

What is the etiquette when applying for new work, ideally I don't want my current employer to know I am looking for new work but I assume I will have to use them as work references. Should I treat this as just "business", let them know I'm looking for other work (internal/external). Either me or my employer can give one weeks notice.

Thanks

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Within the public sector you may find that you won't be considered for another post until you have been in the current one for 6 months, possibly longer. If you are looking for an internal transfer it would have to be agreed by your current manager.
  • snowqueen555
    Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Within the public sector you may find that you won't be considered for another post until you have been in the current one for 6 months, possibly longer. If you are looking for an internal transfer it would have to be agreed by your current manager.

Hi

I would apply as if I were any other candidate and not expect a transfer. Because my fixed term is only 6 months, I feel like I need to be on the lookout for a new job already. From what I can see, there seems to also be no possibility for me to remain in this department due to recent restructuring.

I was hoping i could hold out till January (I am struggling) and then it would not be so bad if I let them know I am looking for a new role.
  • You left a nine year permanent role for a fixed term six month position? Wow, that was foolish. Is it the same LA and if so, are you sue it's fixed term and not a secondment?

I'd definitely be seriously looking - and not just in the LA you are currently working for
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Hi

I would apply as if I were any other candidate and not expect a transfer. Because my fixed term is only 6 months, I feel like I need to be on the lookout for a new job already. From what I can see, there seems to also be no possibility for me to remain in this department due to recent restructuring.

I was hoping i could hold out till January (I am struggling) and then it would not be so bad if I let them know I am looking for a new role.

As your current role is 6 month fixed term there really isn't any etiquette in letting them know you are applying for other jobs. They should be assuming you are anyway. You obviously can't wait until the end of the contract to start looking, and there tend to be fewer long term vacancies advertised in the winter months.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »

whilst I totally agree with this in terms of manager agreement; it can largely depend on who the recruiting manager is.
    Hi

if looking internally I, personally, tell my manager at application stage - the reason is that manager talk...

externally I tell them at interview stage
  • snowqueen555
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2018 at 8:39AM
    You left a nine year permanent role for a fixed term six month position? Wow, that was foolish. Is it the same LA and if so, are you sue it's fixed term and not a secondment?

I'd definitely be seriously looking - and not just in the LA you are currently working for

I should have left a lot earlier to be fair, and this 6 month stint would've been good on my Cv, but I just can't stomach it. LA tend to recruit internally, so once you're in it is quite good for moving around, which is why I took a fixed term job

So I should let my manager know always, that is a major bummer. I plan to apply externally to other local authorities

-

I was wondering about whether to put this job on my cv or just omit it? I would have to use them as a referee as well for two months work
  • LA tend to recruit internally, so once you're in it is quite good for moving around, which is why I took a fixed term job

Not in the current climate. I've just started a six month secondment; the team are undergoing a restructure and the posts will be ring fenced. All LA's have to restructure almost constantly in the drive to save money. No job is secure - not even permanent but at least permanent staff get offered redeployment or redundancy. This is my fourth secondment and I have had to return to my substantive post every time.

Anyway, it's done now so I'd probably leave the current role off your CV - hardly seems worth it for two months. Mind you, that said, some LA positions demand a full five or ten year history so you might have to include it. I am assuming your previous employer will be happy to offer a reference? I wish you luck in finding another position.
  • ChasingtheWelshdream
    ChasingtheWelshdream Posts: 829
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2018 at 6:45PM
    Hello,

I work for in employment division of my LA.

Just to reassure you, we process many, many internal transfers. These are dealt with in exactly the same way as external applicants for any given position, but with the advantage that many of the pre-employment checks have already been completed, and therefore internal applicants can generally be cleared to start their new role sooner.

Yes, managers can 'talk'. But, that should not affect your application, which will be dealt with purely on it's own merit - and the recruiting manager will need to evidence this.

In our LA, yes, your current manager would need to provide a reference, but we only request this once you have been offered the job - at which point it is assumed you will have told them. You may, or may not be required to give your statutory notice before commencing with your new team. That is sometimes a discussion between departments.

Secondments are often encouraged, and these would need to be discussed with your current manager before you applied, but in your case it wouldn't be an issue as you do not have a substantive, permanent position to protect. So, no need to tell your manager your are applying for anything beforehand.

Check with HR, as there may also be a redeployment register. This is for those seeking alternative positions when their contract is 'at risk' eg redundancy, or fixed-term contracts ending. You can be 'role matched' to vacancies and given a trial period before jobs are advertised - assuming you meet the person spec of course.

My tuppence-worth, from the 'inside', is to apply as normal, and not worry about it. Personally, I think LAs are good employers and wouldn't leave on a whim.

I hope that helps, and good luck. :-)
  • Anyway, it's done now so I'd probably leave the current role off your CV - hardly seems worth it for two months. Mind you, that said, some LA positions demand a full five or ten year history so you might have to include it. I am assuming your previous employer will be happy to offer a reference? I wish you luck in finding another position.

Our LA require full-employment history from leaving education. Never leave a gap without a reason as it looks bad (and gives me extra work to check!)

In fact, many of our person specs cite 'LA experience' as desirable, so always include it. If you are appointed internally, you can't hide it anyway. :-)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You left a nine year permanent role for a fixed term six month position? Wow, that was foolish. Is it the same LA and if so, are you sue it's fixed term and not a secondment?

I recently left a permanent LA job for a fixed term contract. I hated my last job to the point it was making me ill. If done for well-being reasons or to learn new skills to get a foot up the ladder I don't see why that's foolish?
    In terms of looking, I wouldn't tell your current employer in case they get funny. Some people do! Remain professional and when offered a new job I'd then ask your line manager as a courtesy if they would be a referee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure