Safety Glasses at work

2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Water is water, agreed - although the OP may have meant 'liquid'. But asbestos dust is still dust. I'm not trying to imply the OP is working with asbestos, just pointing out that there are different sorts of dust.
    Yes true. But I would also be worried about more than eye protection if we were talking asbestos!

I think the "PPE" is a red herring. If not the OP could be explaining why they need it and why the employer doesn't provide it if it's needed. I think the question is that their performance isn't up to scratch. That's actually what the manager questioned. Possibly the suggestion is that all that water and dust on their glasses is obscuring their vision, so they can't see things aren't clean ???

Either way, "i do not think so" isn't the approach to take to a managers instruction. Without evidence to the contrary, the correct approach to a managers instruction is "yes".
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I assume you are using some cleaning chemical when you say "water splashes" You don't use neat water, right?

So lets hear what you us/mix with water before others tell you, you don't need them from some "Manager"
    After 20 years in the oil industry with both caustic/acid............I would need more than a manager telling me something!!
  • sangie595
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I assume you are using some cleaning chemical when you say "water splashes" You don't use neat water, right?

So lets hear what you us/mix with water before others tell you, you don't need them from some "Manager"
    After 20 years in the oil industry with both caustic/acid............I would need more than a manager telling me something!!
    You can't assume anything. The OP had been asked- they will possibly come back and answer the questions if the matter is important enough. And actually the cleaners on our streets use water. No chemicals. So there is no reason to assume anything other than what the OP says until they provide corrected information. The average local housing estate is not comparable with the oil industry.

But if we are making assumptions, it sounds rather like these are not standard or required issue, but something the OP had decided they need.

And whatever the case, the message from the manager is clear - the issue is that their cleaning is not of adequate standard, and if that doesn't improve, wearing safety glasses or not, there is only one way that will end. Personally, I'm not seeing the connection between wearing glasses and poor cleaning, but if the manager is then it is really up to the OP to demonstrate their position is reasonable, and they haven't done so. As I said "I don't think so...." is not an acceptable reason. If they think they have an acceptable reason, they can explain what that is and then we might be able to help. But only on the glasses - that does not mean that they get off on the performance side.

If just water and dust require safety glasses, you'd need a hazmat suit to come to my house at times. I hate housework and it rains a lot where I live!
  • scd3scd4
    edited 18 October 2018 at 3:44PM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    You can't assume anything. The OP had been asked- they will possibly come back and answer the questions if the matter is important enough. And actually the cleaners on our streets use water. No chemicals. So there is no reason to assume anything other than what the OP says until they provide corrected information. The average local housing estate is not comparable with the oil industry.

But if we are making assumptions, it sounds rather like these are not standard or required issue, but something the OP had decided they need.

And whatever the case, the message from the manager is clear - the issue is that their cleaning is not of adequate standard, and if that doesn't improve, wearing safety glasses or not, there is only one way that will end. Personally, I'm not seeing the connection between wearing glasses and poor cleaning, but if the manager is then it is really up to the OP to demonstrate their position is reasonable, and they haven't done so. As I said "I don't think so...." is not an acceptable reason. If they think they have an acceptable reason, they can explain what that is and then we might be able to help. But only on the glasses - that does not mean that they get off on the performance side.

If just water and dust require safety glasses, you'd need a hazmat suit to come to my house at times. I hate housework and it rains a lot where I live!

No, let's wait and hear what if any chemicals are used or mixed first. I would also be interested if any equipment is being used.

We have no idea what this OP jobs involves. I often pass the cleaning team in my mums flat and see the chemicals/ equipment they use when cleaning. The oil industry I work in is also a food plant. You are also making a false assumption.

Again, some manager would not be the last word on the safety of my eyes. I don't care what hes/her issue is! This concept "A manager said so" is alien to me!
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    But what chemicals? The OP specified that it was protection against dust and splashes of water. Neither of which have COSSH data sheets.

Ahem. Water is indeed a chemical itself, and does indeed have a COSHH data sheet. Getting it in your eye can be troublesome. Particuarly if it's dirty water being flicked up from a floor or a lavatory.

The OP is quite right not to jeapordise their eyesight based on the nonesensical whim of some manager, if they seriuosly don't want PPE in their workplace then I woudl be asking for that in writing and then asking the HSE for their opinion on the directive.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • sangie595
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    No, let's wait and hear what if any chemicals are used or mixed first. I would also be interested if any equipment is being used.

We have no idea what this OP jobs involves. I often pass the cleaning team in my mums flat and see the chemicals/ equipment they use when cleaning. The oil industry I work in is also a food plant. You are also making a false assumption.

Again, some manager would not be the last word on the safety of my eyes. I don't care what hes/her issue is! This concept "A manager said so" is alien to me!
    No. I was making the point that we could assume a lot of things, but the OP is so interested that they posted, ran, and have not yet bothered to come back.

Right now the only fact we have is that the manager isn't happy with the performance of the OP. The entire of everything else is conjecture. We have no evidence that they need the glasses, no evidence that they don't, and no evidence of anything else either. But one way or another in all those unknowns, the simple fact is that your can be dismissed for gaining to do your job properly, the manager has told the OP that they aren't doing their job properly.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 18 October 2018 at 9:41PM
    No. I was making the point that we could assume a lot of things, but the OP is so interested that they posted, ran, and have not yet bothered to come back.

Right now the only fact we have is that the manager isn't happy with the performance of the OP. The entire of everything else is conjecture. We have no evidence that they need the glasses, no evidence that they don't, and no evidence of anything else either. But one way or another in all those unknowns, the simple fact is that your can be dismissed for gaining to do your job properly, the manager has told the OP that they aren't doing their job properly.

No, there is no guarantee removing the glasses would improve anything. That's just this "managers" assumption. What happens to people who wear vision glasses contact-lens?

Of course we all assume, that's the nature of forums.

My point was, who cares what a manager thinks or tells anyone until we know our/he's eyes are safe. No job is worth that. In the mean time we are all waiting for more information..
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Given safety glasses can be little more than non-prescription spectacles, I find it difficult to believe they're the main reason, otherwise the OP's job couldn't be performed by anyone who was short or long signed and wore glasses to correct that.

Suspect the performance aspect is more likely to be one of the following:

1 - the OP is using the safety glasses, or more accurately, times when he doesn't have the safety glasses with him, as an excuse for not doing certain jobs/tasks that don't strictly require PPE - any cleaning job by its very nature is going to involve a certain element of dust and water splashes.

2 - the manger doesn't like the OP (and/or vice versa) and the safety glasses are merely an excuse to engineer a conflict/start a process which will ultimately end in the OP's dismissal.

Suspect the real reason is "attitude", but from whom I won't speculate....
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Maybe the OP will return over the weekend with more information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure