The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My EF is currently at £970, however I will have a vet bill of about £200 to pay out for on Monday so it'll take another hit. I also might need to pay for my phone to be repaired. I'm going to try and fix it myself first. It's not an emergency yet but it's getting worse and could become an emergency if I don't sort it!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,805 as of 04/24
  • My fund is at £100
    I accidentally smashed my phone up so had to pay £150
    to get it fixed.
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,696 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 September 2018 at 10:04AM
    My fund is at £1300. It'll go down by the end of this week as I need to pay for some things, but hoping to get it back up again.

September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Even though I haven't been checking in (#45) I have still been funding my EF every month. Touch wood, I haven't needed to use it for which I am very grateful. Finger's crossed there will be no reason to use it anytime soon either.

My fund currently stands at £1470 aka 147%.

keep at it everyone - it really does give you peace of mind to know you have an EF in the event of anything cropping up ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    As predicted, my 3-6 month fund took a hit of nearly £470 for the timing belt and water pump replacement.

It is something I consider to be a maintenance item, and it won't need doing for another 10 years,

On the work front, I have had an inkling my boss dosn't like me much and is planning to get rid of me.

Today I was called in for a disciplinary meeting. Myself and my workplace rep tied him up in knots. We got him pinned down on several points including no real definition of role, failure to follow company disciplinary procedures as laid down in my contract of employment and one or two other things.

It is nice to come out on top.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Vet bill was £250 so EF now down to £725. Will focus next month on trying to top it up a bit more as savings are already allocated elsewhere this month.
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,805 as of 04/24
  • apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    moved £5 to emergency fund as i had 2 no spends this month.
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • James1968
    James1968 Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Still here. My appeal against my dismissal failed, so my last day of work will be October 26th.

I am going to take my employers to ET due to wrongful dismissal due to breach of contract.

On the plus side, I received the payout for my works injury so will be ok for a while.
  • Hello all. Can I join up. I need to rebuild my funds. A couple of months ago I had 2000 in the bank. Pots for Xmas car mot insurance etc but all accessible as an emergency fund. Built up over 12 months with extra help from back pay and a ppi claim. Its taken a major battering however over the last eight weeks.

1000 went to a settlement on one of my debts which was okay but then I needed new glasses and have forked out a fair bit unexpectedly at the vets. Hubby finishes his job tommorow and only starts next one in two weeks my car is booked in for approx 2-300 pounds of work next week, its Christmas very soon and im abroad for a long weekend this week. Ticket was a present and accommodation free but need spends. I had saved 300 but this is now needed to plug the wage gap.

I won't know till next week to be honest what the damage is as hubby gets his last wage and I'll get the car bill but potentially my emergency fund is down to 250. Eeekkk. I've made a grid with squares to colour in and I'm hoping to be back up to 1000 by December 2019.

Thanks for reading if you got this far. Ha ha
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • James1968
    James1968 Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I just realized that on my tablet I am logged in under my other name. I normally post as Patman99.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback