Wilson wallflame 75 boiler help please

We have a very old but pretty reliable Wilson wallflame 75 oil boiler, does anybody have any ideas where we can get service instructions or similar as we are now struggling to get a plumber that can deal with this, it does have a problem at the moment with not firing up which we need to get get sorted as soon as possible :( Any help would be hugely appreciated! :)

Comments

• Likely too late, but I also have one of these and know them pretty much inside out.

They are very straightforward boilers actually, but the big problem is getting spares.

The most important thing is not to keep trying and trying if it is not catching, as all that will do is fill the hearth up with unburnt oil - a serious fire/explosion risk if it does finally light.

With all engines, you need fuel at approximately the right mixture and a spark/source of ignition at the right time. You are almost certainly lacking one or other. Can you see a spark from the electrode to the striker plate through the sight glass for 10 or 20 seconds before the rotor starts turning to throw the oil around?
  • Hi,

Interesting that you've got one of these still going. They were one of the best wallflames available so not the cheapest to buy when new with a good heat exchanger design and integral draught controller.
    I've got an original Installation & Servicing Manual which I could copy and send you if you're still interested.
    I see on the net that items like fan motor thrust pads are still available.

All the best,

Martin
  • My Willson Wallflame starts up perfectly and the flame is good (long & blue from grills) for aprox 30 seconds, then the flame drops back into the hearth and turns yellowish.
    There is also a smell of unburnt fuel outside the house.
    Any idea whats wrong?
    Matt
  • Martin282
    Martin282 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 September 2018 at 2:32PM
    Matt_Wh wrote: »
    My Willson Wallflame starts up perfectly and the flame is good (long & blue from grills) for aprox 30 seconds, then the flame drops back into the hearth and turns yellowish.
    There is also a smell of unburnt fuel outside the house.
    Any idea whats wrong?
    Matt

A neighbour's boiler exhibited similar behavior and he just ignored it.
    Although an intelligent guy he seemed to have a blind spot to the importance of keeping the flueways in the boiler clear which of course, in severe cases puts a backpressure on the burner and possibly can cause the flame to drop down into the hearth (I'm only guessing though since if the oil strike height from the central fan / rotor assy. to the rims is correct it's diffcult to see why the flame should drop down but with insuffcient draught due to the dirty flueways more local recirculation at the rim could I suppose cause it).
    His was a Wallfame 60 (which I assume had the same simple design of heat exchanger as the 75 *) and a large annular plate was welded inside and concentric with the inside circular surface of the boiler for the products of combustion to go through above the flames. This had a heavy deposit of grey `soot' etc. inside which he never cleaned out.
    So I can only suggest that you check the internal flueways for deposits and give them a good clean, making sure that you cover the rotor and ignitor with a rag to keep them clean before starting work.
    I have the manual for these boilers btw and that behavior is not mentioned.

* The Wilson Wallfame 150 had firetubes I know for sure.

All the best,
    Martin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family