Lifetime ISAs guide

Comments

• AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 10:53PM
    masonic wrote: »
    True, but the AJ Bell LISA was funded by a transfer of subscriptions spanning 3 tax years. Two of which do not break the 'invalid combination of ISAs' rule.

Doesn't matter which year it relates to. The regulations specify that if you make a current year payment or a pre April 2017 HTB ISA transfer to more than one Lifetime ISA only one account is a valid account eligible for the bonus.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2018 at 6:48AM
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    Doesn't matter which year it relates to. The regulations specify that if you make a current year payment or a pre April 2017 HTB ISA transfer to more than one Lifetime ISA only one account is a valid account eligible for the bonus.
    Yes you are right, I had to go back to the original legislation to check this as the HMRC's ISA Guidance Notes have been replaced with a help page that is vague on this point.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/466/made
    "New Regulation 4AA
    9. After regulation 4A insert
    (4) Where an investor has made current year payments or a payment described in regulation 10A(4)(c) to more than one Lifetime ISA, only one account will be a valid account which is eligible for the payment of a government bonus."

"New regulation 10A
    21. After regulation 10 insert
    (4) The following are not current year payments
    (c)the first or only transfer from a Help to Buy ISA (as described in regulation 5DDC(6)) to a Lifetime ISA in the year 2017-18 in an amount not exceeding the balance on the Help to Buy ISA as at 5th April 2017 plus accrued interest."
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    masonic wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the source of the information stating this (specifically that then current year subscriptions for 2017/18 AND HTB ISA transfer funds must reside together)? I see HMRC have got rid of the usual ISA Guidance Notes document and replaced it with a more vague help page.

I'm not sure it is in the guidance notes. It is in the legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/466/regulation/9/made
    (4) Where an investor has made current year payments or a payment described in regulation 10A(4)(c) to more than one Lifetime ISA, only one account will be a valid account which is eligible for the payment of a government bonus.

Where regulation 10A(4)(c) is
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/466/regulation/21/made
    (c)the first or only transfer from a Help to Buy ISA (as described in regulation 5DDC(6)) to a Lifetime ISA in the year 2017-18 in an amount not exceeding the balance on the Help to Buy ISA as at 5th April 2017 plus accrued interest.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is in the guidance notes. It is in the legislation.
    Thanks, that's exactly where I went just after making my post and it looks like I didn't edit it quite quickly enough to save you the trouble of looking it up as well.
  • Rdh181
    Rdh181 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thanks both - that’s really helpful (and also not the answer I was hoping for, oh well!).
  • madfistbt
    madfistbt Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hello peeps, i used my 20k allaownce this year on funding circle, do i have to wait till the next tax year to get a lisa? xx
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    madfistbt wrote: »
    hello peeps, i used my 20k allaownce this year on funding circle, do i have to wait till the next tax year to get a lisa? xx
    If you have one or more ISAs funded before this tax year then you could open a LISA now and transfer up to £4K from prior year's contributions, but otherwise, yes, you'd be stuck until April next year, because your current year money can't be split up but is much higher than the annual LISA allowance....
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May 2018 at 3:50PM
    The other option would be to withdraw £16k plus any interest from FC (unsure if they would allow or apply penalties) and transfer the £4k (but not a penny more) FC IFISA into a LISA.
  • madfistbt
    madfistbt Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    oh thank you great replies, so next year i can put 16k in my isa and 4k for a lisa? thanks :)
  • Owen1991
    Owen1991 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just wondering if anyones had 18/19 bonus paid in yet, I know it's still early?
    2021 - £11250 Saved || 2020 - £4750 Saved || 2019 - £4000 Saved || 2018 - £9000 Saved
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback