Partner wanting to leave her job

Hi all,
appreciate your time reading this, as we're looking for advice.

Wife works part-time, however currently signed off due to stress.
She feels that the only way to get through would be to leave her workplace, and start fresh again. Been in current job for 15 years.

My question please, if my wife hands in her notice, is there any help from job seekers allowance?
As my wife is signed off for stress / aniexty there will be a period of time where she'll need to recover, can job seekers allowance help? Or any other benefits in any way?

i myself will be working, currently earn £26,500, - Will this be taken into account?

Thanks
Credit Cards £0.00
Loans £0.00
Overdraft £0.00

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,014
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's likely that after resigning from a job, she would be sanctioned and not able to claim JSA. It's possible that other benefits may be available, posting on the Benefits board may be a better place to ask.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you resign there is a waiting period until you can claim jobseekers. I believe you may also not qualify if your partner works over 24 hours a week anyway.
    If your wife is off with stress I'd be tempted to take as much paid sick pay as possible using that time to recover then look for another job. Good suggestion to check out benefits board they will give some good advice.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    She shouldn't resign, she should wait until the company dismiss her on health grounds. At least this way she will still be accruing holiday pay
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Do you have children? If so it would be working tax credits rather than JSA that would help her

She might be best speaking to citizens advice and maybe they can offer worthwhile advise
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    If your wife needs time off to recover from her (sorry, I am not sure of the PC phrase) "issues", she would not be able to claim JSA as she would presumably not be looking for a job.

She may be entitled to Employment and Support allowance (ESA), but for that she would need to go through various tests - those are the ones you read about people who have cancer being turned down and having to appeal etc. Not to say your wife will get refused, but it could happen.

Does your wife have an income protection policy? If she does this could be the time to make a claim.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,347
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have children? If so it would be working tax credits rather than JSA that would help her

She might be best speaking to citizens advice and maybe they can offer worthwhile advise

This is incorrect, she is entitled to claim JSA whether she has children or not.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,347
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you resign there is a waiting period until you can claim jobseekers. I believe you may also not qualify if your partner works over 24 hours a week anyway.
    If your wife is off with stress I'd be tempted to take as much paid sick pay as possible using that time to recover then look for another job. Good suggestion to check out benefits board they will give some good advice.

This is also incorrect. There is no waiting period to claim JSA, a claim can be made as soon as she is unemployed (if she is available and actively seeking work). Payment MAY be sanctioned for a period of time, whether this happens and how long it is for depends on the individual circumstances and only a decision maker can make that decision.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Sambashoes
    Sambashoes Posts: 31
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd recommend using the benefits calculator on the Turn2us website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure